Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Well, explain it to me then. If making snide remarks about a guy on social media not "going after him", then what would qualify as "going after him" in your book?

It's petty, there's no obfuscating it. Stroman is petty when he goes after the Jays unprovoked, and it's petty to go after Stroman for every odd but harmless tweet of his.
Marcus is that you? I didn’t realize he was a regular poster in the jays threads on HF. I guess this is what fuels him to clear all those obstacles in his life. We just never believed in him. Oh wait no we are responding to a public post he made and between ourselves in a completely different place. It’s not like we all rushed to Twitter to antagonize him. But I’m sure he’s happy someone believes in him as much as you. Although not one of us has even said a negative thing about his talents. I guess you’re trying to stop all the bullying? Leave that to the moderators

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Sure, but we have a lot of folks acting like Mean Girls on this board - it's so silly. And it chases people out - Bob Mckenzie used to be a regular poster on these boards for example until he got sick of this shit.

Plus, you never know who is reading this stuff:

Jakub Voracek is calling out hfboards user deadhead
If someone wants to stop posting because we posted something negative about Stroman or anyone else I’ll happily watch them go. This place can very much be intolerable especially when people talk trades on the hockey side. But nothing that’s been said here is something that chases people away.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Sure, but we have a lot of folks acting like Mean Girls on this board - it's so silly. And it chases people out - Bob Mckenzie used to be a regular poster on these boards for example until he got sick of this shit.

Oh give me a break. He made a cringe tweet so people are poking fun at it. He will be okay.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Kurtz, i dont know what you expect, this isnt people delving into his personal life trying to dig dirt on him to post here like TMZ. Stroman is willingly posting this stuff about his life for everyone to see. He is doing this for feedback. And like it is for anything else in the world there will be positive feedback and negative feedback. By broadcasting his life, he is opening himself up to the praise he receives and unfortunately for him, the criticisms.

Like me, anything i post here is open up for a discussion. I don’t expect to post something and only receive positive feedback. That is not what a discussion board is nor twitter.

I cant help but think your posts are directed towards me. Stroman tweets and re-tweets 5-10 tweets a day, i believe i posted 2-3 of his tweets which are not Jays related since he has been traded, how does that constitute “going after him?”

In addition i have also said very positive things about him as recently as a few weeks ago;

Blue Jays Discussion: - Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

Blue Jays Discussion: - It's the off-season. Stuff might happen. Or it might not.

Stroman is a big boy, if he doesn’t want to be criticized then he cant stop tweeting. Or block responses to his tweets which he has.

As for Voracek, thats his problem. Does anyone in the public light expect zero scrutiny ever? We live in a very soft society where people feel the need to defend multi-million dollar athletes when their feelings get hurt on a discussion board or on twitter. Here is a tip for them, dont tweet or don’t go searching for what people think about you.

Reactions: Auston 316

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Springer making his first spring start at center.

Don't worry Rogers the fans are not excited and don't want to see it.

What a massively dumb decision.
giphy.gif

Reactions: TopChedder

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Jays are gonna start him in only the Baltimore games the next couple weeks in hopes that he looks good enough to be traded before opening day.

Grichuk's first AB was a bases loaded double to score 2 in the first.

Then he walks and scores in the 3rd.

Palacios replaces Grichuk and hits a double.

I think Grichuk will have a good season. Unless we get fair value for him, i have no problem hanging onto him.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I cant help but think your posts are directed towards me. Stroman tweets and re-tweets 5-10 tweets a day, i believe i posted 2-3 of his tweets which are not Jays related since he has been traded, how does that constitute “going after him?”

Not at all - I don't really keep tabs on who posts Stroman's tweets here or who makes fun of the guy for said tweets.

It just happens a lot, and it comes off as childish and petty. Stroman pitched well for us, never asked for a trade, and we traded him for an excellent prospect. What's to be mad about? Why stalk him on Twitter and report every time he tweets something weird?

I understand schaudenfreude (even if I can't spell it), but there's nothing to be mad at Stro about, so it's just unnecessarily petty.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Not at all - I don't really keep tabs on who posts Stroman's tweets here or who makes fun of the guy for said tweets.

It just happens a lot, and it comes off as childish and petty. Stroman pitched well for us, never asked for a trade, and we traded him for an excellent prospect. What's to be mad about? Why stalk him on Twitter and report every time he tweets something weird?

I understand schaudenfreude (even if I can't spell it), but there's nothing to be mad at Stro about, so it's just unnecessarily petty.

Im not mad at him at all. One of my favourite Jays pitchers. Guy was a competitor who proved me wrong many times.

Im not stalking him either, i actually came across his last tweet from the guy who broke the Springer signing;

Stroman is a former Jays who had a very public spat with the front office while he was here and when he left. He even spoke ill of this front office a few months ago.

‘It’s a travesty.’ Marcus Stroman jabs Blue Jays front office after Mets land Francisco Lindor
Responding to a fan who expressed disappointment in the Jays for letting Lindor get away, Stroman added that Toronto’s front office would “never build the team they should around their unbelievable core of young players.

“It’s a travesty.”

I also only posted 2 weird tweets. He has had several, several more that have not been posted.

I see no difference posting Stroman related information to the posts here referencing who JP Arencibia is dating, Josh Donaldson's injuries, Gregg Zaun's allegations, John Gibbon's "controversial" interviews, AA discussions, Esteban Loaiza's arrest, Devon Travis tweeting his love for the Jays, David Wells recently saying he hated playing for the Jays, Bautista trying to come back as a pitcher, David Price and Taijuan Walker loving Jays fans, countless Tulo trashing comments (who btw is one of my all time favorite Jays) etc.

Some of this stuff is Jays related but most of it isnt.

Stroman is a former Jay and he talks about the Jays good or bad as recently as a few months ago, the good and bad gets posted, it shouldnt be a surprise. I believe i posted a tweet where Pearson or Manoah praised him. Someone posted a tweet where he was excited to play with Pillar again.

Its not all negative, but most of it is, well because that's what he conveys in his messages.

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Could you be more dramatic. Who’s “stalking” him now? Who’s mad at Stroman? Should we not have discussed earlier in the off season when he literally tweeted that the jays would never spend the money to surround the core we have in place? Seems like something we should/could discuss in a thread dedicated to the jays no? He was a great Jay and fun to watch. Not one person I can think of has said otherwise. But his off field stuff has always been over the top. It’s spring and we can’t even watch the games. Stroman will be fine I promise.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Szymborski’s 2021 Breakout Candidates: Hitters

Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Toronto Blue Jays

Perhaps not the gutsiest call, but it feels to me like people have soured way too much on Vladito. A 112 wRC+ won’t win any Silver Sluggers, but we have to remember he was just 21 last season. Let’s imagine that Guerrero Jr. wasn’t part of the imperial-Vlad bloodline and was just a guy in Triple-A in 2020 (in an alternate universe where the minor league season existed). If we translate Guerrero’s actual major league performance into a Triple-A Buffalo line, ZiPS estimates that he would’ve been hitting .288/.370/.526 as a 21-year-old in the International League. Would anyone be disappointed with this line? There would be cries of Free Vlad! echoing through the streets by June. I think players like Juan Soto and Fernando Tatis Jr. have spoiled us for normal awesome prospects.

While I don’t usually fall for the whole “best shape of his life” stories in spring, I think I’ve fallen for it this time. Guerrero was carrying a lot of weight for a 21-year-old; I weighed less at 21, and my main aerobic exercise was hauling cases of beer into my house. He dropped a lot of weight this winter, so I take this one more seriously than the usual stories, which involve a guy losing 10 pounds or having some secret abs that people gush about.

ZiPS Projection Percentiles – Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

PercentileBAOBPSLGABRH2B3BHRRBIBBSOSBOPS+WAR
90%.289.368.5725378415538634111647841504.7
80%.284.357.5405438215436531107588531394.0
70%.279.350.5215458015235529103568821333.5
60%.278.347.506547781523452799549321283.2
50%.275.342.486549771513342596529621222.7
40%.274.339.472551771513242393509911172.3
30%.272.336.4575527515031421894910311132.0
20%.267.327.4405557314830320874610911061.5
10%.266.324.4255577214829318844411911021.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Im not mad at him at all. One of my favourite Jays pitchers. Guy was a competitor who proved me wrong many times.

Im not stalking him either, i actually came across his last tweet from the guy who broke the Springer signing;

Stroman is a former Jays who had a very public spat with the front office while he was here and when he left. He even spoke ill of this front office a few months ago.

‘It’s a travesty.’ Marcus Stroman jabs Blue Jays front office after Mets land Francisco Lindor

I also only posted 2 weird tweets. He has had several, several more that have not been posted.

I see no difference posting Stroman related information to the posts here referencing who JP Arencibia is dating, Josh Donaldson's injuries, Gregg Zaun's allegations, John Gibbon's "controversial" interviews, AA discussions, Esteban Loaiza's arrest, Devon Travis tweeting his love for the Jays, David Wells recently saying he hated playing for the Jays, Bautista trying to come back as a pitcher, David Price and Taijuan Walker loving Jays fans, countless Tulo trashing comments (who btw is one of my all time favorite Jays) etc.

Some of this stuff is Jays related but most of it isnt.

Stroman is a former Jay and he talks about the Jays good or bad as recently as a few months ago, the good and bad gets posted, it shouldnt be a surprise. I believe i posted a tweet where Pearson or Manoah praised him. Someone posted a tweet where he was excited to play with Pillar again.

Its not all negative, but most of it is, well because that's what he conveys in his messages.

At the time Stro made that tweet, the biggest free agent signings that this management had made were Kendrys Morales and Tanner Roark, so he had a point.

Obviously, we signed some major names right afterwards, so shoving that in Stro's face was totally satisfying - I agree completely.

But maybe time to move on?

Reactions: Discoverer

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
At the time Stro made that tweet, the biggest free agent signings that this management had made were Kendrys Morales and Tanner Roark, so he had a point.

Obviously, we signed some major names right afterwards, so shoving that in Stro's face was totally satisfying - I agree completely.

While I agree with this, I still think it would have been a funny tweet to post here regardless of which player said it. If it was Grichuk or Bauer or Trout or Delgado or Gary Gaetti, I would have chuckled.

But yeah... the only reason it was posted in the first place is because it was Stroman, but the only reason there's any pushback against it is also because it's Stroman.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Well we were a team with limited payroll from 2016 to 2018 and rebuilding in 2019. Oh and i think you are forgetting about some guy named Ryu who was signed before that tweet. You know the 2nd biggest free agent deal in Jays history for Cy Young runner up.

Plus our team made the playoffs last season and he choose to opt out in the middle of a season.

You may ask myself and others to "move on" but he is a former Jay and for better or worse, he will be brought up again so i say to you "maybe just deal with it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad