Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt IV | Ah the waiting game sucks, let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'd rather not go after Brantley TBH. The rotation is clearly the big need now. The outfield is kind of crowded, and I don't expect Grichuk to be easy to move in this market. I'm fine with the lineup as is, if anything else happens to the offense I'd be all in on Bryant because we have no 3rd baseman right now pending what you do with Vladdy, and Bryant is a short term commitment that shouldn't cost the farm. But clearly the rotation is the number 1 need. Excited to see how it all plays out.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Get rid of Grichuk and Roark somehow and we have even more money to spend!

Anyone wonder if we end up going after Bryant for cheap?

Springer CF
Biggio 2B
Bichette SS
Brantley LF
Bryant 3B

Vlad 1B
Teo RF
Tellez DH
Jansen C

Talk about your killer Bs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Not necessarily. You could sign Brantley as a DH/4th outfielder. Grichuk is definitely done here now though. Probably Tellez too, if Brantley signs. This front office likes players who can play multiple positions and as much as I like Tellez (the person), he's a DH and nothing more. If we get Brantley, those two are gone.

MLB.com recently ranked Brantley as the 2nd best left fielder in the league.

While he would certainly see time at DH, you probably play him more in the field, and someone like Hernandez at DH more.

Reactions: Kurtz

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

So instead of him being the one who had to be sold to come to Canada, he's the one who's been doing the selling. Sounds like he'll love it here.

Reactions: Kurtz

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I'd rather not go after Brantley TBH. The rotation is clearly the big need now. The outfield is kind of crowded, and I don't expect Grichuk to be easy to move in this market. I'm fine with the lineup as is, if anything else happens to the offense I'd be all in on Bryant because we have no 3rd baseman right now pending what you do with Vladdy, and Bryant is a short term commitment that shouldn't cost the farm. But clearly the rotation is the number 1 need. Excited to see how it all plays out.

I think most of the posters here who want Brantley (myself very much included) are advocating for pitching help as well. They could conceivably sign Brantley, Odorizzi, and just tell Grichuk to take a walk at this point and still be way under what they paid in 2015.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014

I know there have been rumours for years that Kendrys Morales and Lourdes Gurriel Jr was a package deal, and I wonder if the Jays and Brantley making an agreement was part of the deal to get Springer.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Reactions: Garlando

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
funny most on here were not wanting to give DJ Lemahieu a 6 year deal but ok with Springer getting 6 years. They are 1 year apart

Reactions: Natey and zeke

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
MLB.com recently ranked Brantley as the 2nd best left fielder in the league.

While he would certainly see time at DH, you probably play him more in the field, and someone like Hernandez at DH more.
The metrics say hes not as good as Hernandez or Gurriel. I'd say it's probably worth looking into rotating the 4 outfielders between their normal position and DH. Keeps all 4 bats in the lineup.

Reactions: Marshy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->