Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 13th: Report - Dickey extended, trade just pending physicals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Apologies, since you're just the unfortunate soul that has to be the last person in line that sets me off. This is not meant to be specific to you or an insult. But I digress

For the love of god people, STOP USING FIELDING PERCENTAGE! It's a terrible, horrible, unforgivably flawed stat because it's build on the king of terrible, horrible, unforgivably flawed stats - Errors. Errors are basically a worthless stat, and as such anything built on them are equally worthles, most of all fielding percentage.

Okay. I feel better now.
Why are errors useless? Yeah, they screw errors up a lot. But in the case of Edwin, a lot of his errors are completely earned. :laugh:

If someone historically has a lot of errors (and a low range) year after year, it's not because he's good at playing the field.

Don't get me wrong, there are better statistics, but over a career errors do tell a story.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Why are errors useless? Yeah, they screw errors up a lot. But in the case of Edwin, a lot of his errors are completely earned. :laugh:

If someone historically has a lot of errors (and a low range) year after year, it's not because he's good at playing the field.

people with good range will often get called for a error that most people wouldn't get get to, hence those with range usually have more errors

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Agreed completely.

That said, thinking about the claims that it takes a few games after seeing a knuckleballer for batters to completely get their eye set again, I wouldn't mind a rotation of Morrow, Johnson, Dickey, Romero, Buehrle, just so that Romero, as likely our weakest pitcher out of the 5, gets the somewhat messed up batters.
I'd want to keep Buehrle and Romero apart because they're similar pitchers and our only lefties.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Andy Martino ‏@MartinoNYDN
Source: Dickey has passed his physical. So there you go. The CY Young winner has been traded to Toronto. It's done.

But he's 38, he's not allowed to pass his physical, he's a physical disaster ready to retire any moment now :sarcasm:

Don't get me wrong, there are better statistics, but over a career errors do tell a story.

Agreed 100%

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Andy Martino ‏@MartinoNYDN
Source: Dickey has passed his physical. So there you go. The CY Young winner has been traded to Toronto. It's done.

Now it's time to shock the world and reveal that it's Dickey, Davis and Thole for Gose, Sierra, Lind and Buck

or at least let the rumour be wrong and it's just D'Arnaud

91Kadri91*

I'm sorry, but no.

Errors don't consider so many things. You could range 250 feet to you right (just an outlandish example), and overthrow the first baseman and you'd still get an error in some cases. It doesn't consider range, arm strength, difficulty of play, batted balls, etc. All it is is one subjective opinion on whether someone cost their team an out. It's a horrible, horrible "stat".

I mean, look at Brett Lawrie. If errors were a valued statistic, he wouldn't be considered an excellent third-baseman defensively (still isn't by some). The fact of the matter is, is that errors just aren't a good way to gauge a players true defensive abilities.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Who the heck cares about John Farrell? He's gone. Let's just move on and be adults.

I could care less about him, but still can't wait for game #4 when the red sox come to Toronto.

I hope we all behave like adults and use "adult words" when he's introduced as the visiting manager.

:laugh:

91Kadri91*

I could care less about him, but still can't wait for game #4 when the red sox come to Toronto.

I hope we all behave like adults and use "adult words" when he's introduced as the visiting manager.

Did my last post answer your question? I'll try and clear any issues up if I'm able to.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

I just think that kind of thing reflects poorly on Blue Jay fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->