Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 12th: We don't know Dickey (about any extension. Yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Watch AA go all-in for Price now and have four true aces in the rotation.

Price
Dickey
Johnson
Morrow
Buerhle

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
i cant speak for everyone on here, im just no in favour of trading our best prospect + possibly our top pitching prospect for a 38 knuckelballer. theres a reason why theres only 3 in the league... (maybe 4 idk)

Because it's not easy.

(and there's only 1 in the league, him, so advantage to us because it's not a pitch often seen)

Kessley Snipes*

And you only really need 3 pitchers in the playoffs.

Imagine throwing out JJ in Game 1, Dickey in Game 2 (to throw off the hitter's timing), then coming back with Morrow throwing flames in Game 3.

If that fails you go to Romero/Buerhle and then back to JJ in Game 5. Unreal

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
As per TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=411750

After prolonged negotiations, it appears the Toronto Blue Jays and New York Mets have an agreement in principle on a deal involving reigning National League CY Young winner R.A. Dickey, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.

The deal remains contingent on the Jays' ability to sign Dickey to an extension within a 72-hour negotiating window which expires Tuesday at 2pm et.

There has yet to be confirmation on the players involved besides Dickey, but according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the deal between the two clubs could see seven players switch teams, with Dickey, catcher Josh Thole and a prospect heading to Toronto for catching prospect Travis d'Arnaud, pitching prospect Noah Syndergaard, recently acquired catcher John Buck and another prospect.

Sherman stated on his Twitter account on Saturday evening that while the deal is still very much alive, that it could take a day or two before being finalized.

The 38-year-old Dickey has one more year on his contract with the Mets worth $5 million.

He led the National league in strikeouts with 230 last season and ranked second with an ERA of 2.73. In parts of 10 major league seasons, Dickey has a career ERA of 3.98.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
This is a tough one guys, I am quite conflicted on my feelings toward it. We need to see the final deal and IF Dickey gets extended, exactly what the numbers are. I'll say this, it stings giving up our #1 and #3 prospect who can both go on to have huge careers, and we'll than look back and say damn. But if the Jays win the WS in the next year or two, than it is all entirely worth it. I've always been a big fan of D'Arnaud and Syndergaard, especially Synd who I've followed since we drafted him and he put up absolutely filthy numbers in AA last year. Fact is though, prospects can be replaced, they can be duplicated, and you can roll the dice on another guy who's got a similar pedigree.
You cannot just find CY Young award winners anywhere, it is VERY rare that you can acquire one, especially after already getting Johnson/Buehrle.

AA has done a fantastic job of making this team a serious contender. He wants to win, the city wants a winner and this is the type of deal it takes to make that happen. It's the harsh reality guys, I am pretty sure everyone knows its overpayment but you don't get anywhere without taking risks and going for it.

Seeing as how I didn't get to enjoy the Jays WS wins in the early 90's as I was too young, and I've been craving a winner from them for over a decade only to watch the big bad Yankees and Red Sox get all the attention, this is extremely exciting.

The Jays would have the best rotation in the majors. Lights out. Filthy. Intimidating.

Try just for a moment to loosen the grip you all have over our prospects, and that's coming from a guy who considered Syndergaard practically untouchable.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Do people here think we have enough offense? What if Melky can't produce, Bautista's arm is ****ed and EE doesn't have the same form?

Or Rasmus and Lawrie don't improve. I really think we need to see how the guys we already have play together before we go all in. Too many question marks right now.

91Kadri91*

I don't think people can grasp the notion of facing 95mph fastballs one day and the next, facing 80mph knuckleballs, and then 95mph fastballs again. That is a nightmare match-up for any team in the playoffs. It's not just about the regular season. Speaking of which, the guy tore up AL East teams last year.

Finally a Toronto team is really going for it, and people complain. Not only can they replenish the cupboards through the draft (what is it, like 40 rounds?), then can sign IFAs. This isn't hockey.

If it were that easy, there'd be 30 teams with the best prospect pool in baseball.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
That's because teams usually only have 3 good pitchers. What's the point of overworking them if you feel you can keep winning?

How many 3 man rotations have actually been successful in the playoffs? I know the Tigers and Giants both used 4 man rotations last year.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Watch AA go all-in for Price now and have four true aces in the rotation.

Price
Dickey
Johnson
Morrow
Buerhle

So who exactly would you trade to get Price? If TB ever entertained the idea of trading Price they would NEVER do it within the division and if they did the price would be astronomical...as in what we just gave up to get Dickey.

You'd deal Romero + Gose or something? Sanchez?

Just no.....

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Seeing as its inevitable, at least we can take some solace in the fact that Dickey is pretty much a lock to throw 200 IP and we have the best rotation in the division hands down.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If it were that easy, there'd be 30 teams with the best prospect pool in baseball.

I didn't say it was easy, but it's not as big of a deal to lose prospects in baseball as it is in any other sport. You cannot compare it to hockey.

Cappayne

Mar 20, 2011
As a Leafs fan who understands farm systems in general and how highly touted the Jays system is, I was scared at first at this trade. But then I realized that this is not the Maple Leafs, who I would never condone making a trade like this.

This is the Toronto Blue Jays, who just made one of the best trades I've ever seen, and who are much closer to being a contender than the Leafs have in recent memory. Sure giving up 2 top prospects is scary since we as fans read up so much on these guys, but as others have mentioned, this is the only knuckle ball pitcher in the league, the only knuckle ball pitcher to win a Cy Young (which happened to be last season), and he is not a 'one season wonder'. I think having a knuckle ball pitcher, especially a veteran, can only help the other pitchers in the rotation hit their potential. Additionally, he is known for pitching many complete games, so the Jays bullpen can hopefully have more rest with him in the mix.

If this trade sacrifices some future (2 top prospects in a system with many other hopefuls) to put the starting rotation over the edge so this team can win games NOW, AA has my full support. He can still make more deals after this.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
None are available?

This.

Plus, if it's for something in a Grienke-type position where they are about to hit the market at a good age, look at $25m/yr being the new standard, Dickey only wants $10.3m/yr over the next 3 years. If we sign a top of the line pitcher, Johnson is as good as gone; if we get Dickey, we still may retain JJ.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Seeing as its inevitable, at least we can take some solace in the fact that Dickey is pretty much a lock to throw 200 IP and we have the best rotation in the division hands down.

We have the best division in the majors.

Johnson
Dickey
Morrow

Tops Weaver/Wilson/Hanson
Tops Cain/Baugartner/Zito
Tops Kershaw/Greinke/Billingsley
Tops Price/Helickson

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So who exactly would you trade to get Price? If TB ever entertained the idea of trading Price they would NEVER do it within the division and if they did the price would be astronomical...as in what we just gave up to get Dickey.

You'd deal Romero + Gose or something? Sanchez?

Just no.....

Sanchez, Gose and Romero would probably get it done.

I was being sarcastic too. ;)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Or Rasmus and Lawrie don't improve. I really think we need to see how the guys we already have play together before we go all in. Too many question marks right now.

You're just trying to squash all of the optimism. How dare anyone be optimistic? We should just rebuild forever, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad