Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 10th: Melk Man Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Continue here....

Can a MOD please sticky the thread? Thanks you!

Baseball Prospectus Jays top 10

1. C Travis d'Arnaud
2. RHP Noah Syndergaard
3. RHP Aaron Sanchez
4. LHP Sean Nolin
5. CF D.J. Davis
6. RHP Roberto Osuna
7. LHP Daniel Norris
8. RHP Marcus Stroman
9. LHP Matt Smoral
10. RHP Alberto Tirado

The lists I've been looking at have had Norris in the top 5 and Davis in the bottom 5. Norris had a rough season in terms of his ERA so that's not a surprise to see him drop a bit. I kind of expected Stilson to be in there somewhere, aswell as Stroman being higher than he is simple because these 2 will be major league ready very shortly.

Last edited:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Continue here....

The lists I've been looking at have had Norris in the top 5 and Davis in the bottom 5. Norris had a rough season in terms of his ERA so that's not a surprise to see him drop a bit. I kind of expected Stilson to be in there somewhere, aswell as Stroman being higher than he is simple because these 2 will be major league ready very shortly.

Curious to see where D'arnaud, Syndergard and Sanchez end up in the MLB top 50. D'arnaud top 10 for sure.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Baseball Prospectus Jays top 10

1. C Travis d'Arnaud
2. RHP Noah Syndergaard
3. RHP Aaron Sanchez
4. LHP Sean Nolin
5. CF D.J. Davis
6. RHP Roberto Osuna
7. LHP Daniel Norris
8. RHP Marcus Stroman
9. LHP Matt Smoral
10. RHP Alberto Tirado
11 RHP Deck McGuire :)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
This upcoming draft has the Jays selecting top 10 I think. That's another good prospect into the system in a supposed strong draft.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Aww I wanted to make the thread this time lol

Version 10: Wherein the rest of the league plays catch-up!

Oh well...

Looking at the draft, I could see AA going with a signability college player in the first round who will sign for below slot, then using the same strategy as last year to pick up a few more high-upside HS arms in the early rounds. If he can sign the 10th overall for even $2M, with savings from the latter rounds of say $1M there's a lot of money to play with for over-slot signings.

An interesting name to look at is Karsten Whitson, a RHP who went unsigned out of the first round a few years ago. He *should* be easier to sign this year, coming out of college and would be an arm that could reach the majors in a couple years...

Also, maybe for the 2nd round, Kris Bryant is a guy who we drafted late and almost signed, but he decided to go to college. He could be a huge power hitting 1B option in the system, which we're missing, he's someone to look for as well.

Last edited:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
A bit more information on Alford.

(Link)

Quarterback Anthony Alford has been granted his release by Southern Miss, according to a report Thursday by The Hattiesburg American.

The true freshman from Petal started five games for the Golden Eagles in 2012, passing for 664 yards and rushing for 329. He was arrested last month following an on-campus fight, and had been suspended by the university pending an investigation.

Alford's high school coach, Steve Buckley, was offensive coordinator for the Golden Eagles under Ellis Johnson last season. However, Johnson was fired last month and members of his staff are not expected to be retained by new coach Todd Monken.

Alford was a highly touted recruit in football and baseball out of high school, winning the Gatorade Player of the Year award for Mississippi in both sports as a senior at Petal. He initially planned to also play baseball at Southern Miss, but turned pro and played a handful of minor-league games last summer after the Toronto Blue Jays drafted him in the third round.

Alford would be free to transfer to another school to play football, though he would have to sit out the 2013 season under NCAA rules. However, he is ineligible to play college baseball at any school after accepting a $750,000 signing bonus from the Blue Jays.

--------------------------------

Oh well...

I wasn't going to create a new one but the post limit was getting pretty high.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
We have so many high upside arms, I'd rather focus some of this draft money towards a really solid college bat.

Everyone knows who it is, Kris Bryant.

6'5, 205, massive power, plus bat.

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA

Oh well...

Looking at the draft, I could see AA going with a signability college player in the first round who will sign for below slot, then using the same strategy as last year to pick up a few more high-upside HS arms in the early rounds. If he can sign the 10th overall for even $2M, with savings from the latter rounds of say $1M there's a lot of money to play with for over-slot signings.

An interesting name to look at is Karsten Whitson, a RHP who went unsigned out of the first round a few years ago. He *should* be easier to sign this year, coming out of college and would be an arm that could reach the majors in a couple years...

Also, maybe for the 2nd round, Kris Bryant is a guy who we drafted late and almost signed, but he decided to go to college. He could be a huge power hitting 1B option in the system, which we're missing, he's someone to look for as well.

Are you saying Bryant falls to the 2nd round?

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

Oh well...

Bryant won't be available in the 2nd round. He is projected as a top 10 talent and I'm not even sure he makes it to us. A potentially elite bat... some team will probably pick him up before we can but that's who I am hoping we pick. If not him, Austin Wilson.

I kinda want to see the Jays go bats heavy in this draft. I know you should go by best player available but they gotta try picking up some bats. This system is paper thin in bats. It doesn't even have to be guys with great bats, just pick positional players with upside kinda like what Jays did with Davis.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Wow, Angels are getting close to signing Hamilton. That's a nutty line-up though I think they should have given that big money to Grienke instead of Hamilton.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Wow, Angels are getting close to signing Hamilton. That's a nutty line-up though I think they should have given that big money to Grienke instead of Hamilton.

doesn't really make sense to me. Red Sox signed Victorino today

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Oh well...

IMO he's better to go for the hard sign in the first round in case he can't get it done and we can hold to pick next year. With the new slotting though it's a big risk of not having the money afterwards to lock up more guys.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Manaea has AA written all over him. Big lefty pitcher. The top of the draft is positional player heavy and I to hope he's goes positional.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: #Angels, Hamilton in agreement. Five-year deal, as first reported by @jonmorosi.

Wow, powerhouse Angels line-up. God ****ing dammit, AL just continues to get stronger and stronger.

Gotta feel for Rangers fans though. Don't sign Grienke, losing Hamilton, likely not getting Upton either. Still a lot is left on the open market but yikes.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Looks like it's official. 5 years for Hamilton.

Rampant speculation saying that LA will use one of their outfielders to go after Dicky.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
that makes a tougher wildcard race :(

yea it does, sucks for texas if hes going to a division rival

I think this will make use add one more piece.

Yea I think we still need to add another SP. Nothing againt Haoo, but having him as the #6 and adding someone more solid at #5 would make me a lot more comforable. That way if one of the guys go down we can still have a solid rotation, then possibly a guy like Villaneuva or Cecil in case more then one goes down.

I really don't know what we should do for the #5 starter. I am sure there are options from the trade route or the FA route. The FA would mean more money from Rogers, but if we were to sign say Jackson for a 35 mil for 3 years I wonder if they would endorse it. It'd increase the payroll but it would provide alot more insurance with our rotation.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I don't know why they just don't cut him.

And don't shoot me when I say this, but I would love to bring him in on the minimum if it happened. Last year was awful, but other than that he just destroys lefties.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know why they just don't cut him.

And don't shoot me when I say this, but I would love to bring him in on the minimum if it happened. Last year was awful, but other than that he just destroys lefties.

His splits seem pretty sporadic over the years. 1 year he could absolutely destroy lefties, another he flat out sucks, another he does well against righties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad