Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 4.0 - Steve Pearce signs for 2/$12.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
EE wanted to test free agency, cant blame him. If Toronto did offer him 4 yr/80m and he turned it down, you cant blame Shapiro/Atkins as I think this is more than fair. Maybe EE will get his money elsewhere or maybe he will end up settling for less. Either way, you cant fault the Jays on this one.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Again, why didn't the Jays pay Eddie before season started,like he wanted?

Before he had a career year...

Again, why didn't the Jays pay Jose before season started,like he wanted?

Before he had a career bad year...

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Trumbo want 4yrs/80 million.

Has offers for 4 yrs/70-75 million. And hes willing to accept according to rumors.

He's 4 years younger then EE. Same type of player. Limited defensively....hits for power.

What does this say about EE????

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Based on those tweets, as much as I wanted Edwin back, too bad so sad. You (and your agent) tried playing chicken with Jays' management and lost.

Would still welcome him back with open arms on the Jays, but I can't imagine it being on anything but a lesser deal than originally offered.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
EE wanted to test free agency and see what was out there, I can't blame him. This could have been his only chance at free agency. Atkins and co made a more than fair offer to Edwin, and he took a gamble on himself hoping that there was something better out there. So Atkins and co did the right thing and moved on quickly rather than wait and see with Edwin then potentially lose out on other free agents and have Edwin move on - leaving them in what you could describe as a "pickle". I for one never thought that any of Jose, Saunders, and Edwin would return, I thought that Cecil would come back and that the Blue Jays would collect the first round picks.

To say that Edwin is a traitor, and should be treated like some type of enemy if he leaves Toronto is ridiculous. He helped give this city two of the most exciting seasons of baseball that the city has ever seen, and along with Jose, helped make the Blue Jays "cool again". He took a gamble on himself, and unfortunately for him, it looks like it might not work out.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Has offers for 4 yrs/70-75 million. And hes willing to accept according to rumors.

He's 4 years younger then EE. Same type of player. Limited defensively....hits for power.

It says that Edwin is a much, much better baseball player than Mark Trumbo.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Based on those tweets, as much as I wanted Edwin back, too bad so sad. You (and your agent) tried playing chicken with Jays' management and lost.

Would still welcome him back with open arms on the Jays, but I can't imagine it being on anything but a lesser deal than originally offered.

My point exactly.....

Im just a little more furious at their tactics, when the Jays have been fair through all of this.

And wasn't it just two weeks ago that his agent said EE would decide between 3 teams that had solid offers. That it wouldn't go to Winter meetings???

What happened with that???

Backfired I guess. Only the Jays had interest with their concrete offer that was on the table.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

It says that maybe that "rumored" 5/115 offer to Edwin from Houston doesn't look so unrealistic after all :laugh:

Seriously though, Edwin and Trumbo are on different planets.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Ok I guess I need to clarify a few things.

a) I didn't realize that the Jays offer is off the table now.
b) I have no problems with EE exploring Free Agency.
c) the basis for my original statement is that the Jays offer was still on the table and he took less to go elsewhere.

This is what I take a small bit of exception to. If we wanted to stay in Toronto and Toronto made a more than decent offer to him, why explore? Or is it truly his agent that told him to explore?

In the end I'm sure both parties will be fine, but it's still upsetting when you have someone saying they want to stay in a city and play then not sign with them when a fair offer is presented.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Pearce?....

Pearce.

A Whopping 35 rbi last year with 2 teams. Oh, and he ended 2016 injured with a bad elbow...

and he's a friend of the DL over the last 4 years... So we're utility guy who is getting old and oft injured? Wow. I'm blown away at the "cunning" of the move... /s. Look out AL, here we come.... to place 3rd in our division.

Keep them hits coming, Atkins/Shap. Rogers thanks you for the cost savings.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
If Mark Trumbo does not sign with Colorado, I will be very disappointed.

Each home game will be like a HR Derby for him.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
It says that Edwin is a much, much better baseball player than Mark Trumbo.

In our eyes as Jays fans and what he's done for us.

But can EE play OF???

Cause Trumbo plays OF, 1B and DH.

Is Trumbo 34 years old? Last I saw he was 31, in his prime. Like EE was in 2012 when he had his best season.

Can EE play in NL??? Cause Trumbo can.

So lets be careful comparing the two. Because I think Trumbo has more value out there.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
To be honest, in Edwin's defense, it sounds like Kinser was the one who could have been pushing him to play hard ball. I could be wrong here, though.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
To be honest, in Edwin's defense, it sounds like Kinser was the one who could have been pushing him to play hard ball. I could be wrong here, though.

Edwin just signed with Astros 5 yrs 115 million

23 million per year

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
In our eyes as Jays fans and what he's done for us.

But can EE play OF???

Cause Trumbo plays OF, 1B and DH.

Is Trumbo 34 years old? Last I saw he was 31, in his prime. Like EE was in 2012 when he had his best season.

Can EE play in NL??? Cause Trumbo can.

So lets be careful comparing the two. Because I think Trumbo has more value out there.

Trumbo is the definition of one dimensional player. Sure he hits majestic homers, but that is just about it. Also, I would hardly say that Trumbo can "play" the outfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad