Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 3.0 - Steve Pearce signs for 2/$12.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Kinzer gonna get fired.

Exactly.

If I'm edwin, I fire my agent, negotiate my own 3x22 with Toronto, don't have to pay an absurd amount to my agent, don't have to move out of Toronto, and boom problem solved.

Only sorta kidding :P

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
These overreactions are quite comical but expected

It was the same thing last season when everyone lost their cool because "ownership" wouldn't pony up the money to re-sign David Price. Instead we signed some chump in JA Happ and brought back Estrada

Same thing when the Boston Red Soxs lost 95 games in 2012 and all they did in the off-season is sign Victorino, Uehara, Ross, Gomes, Napoli, Hanrahan. Funny thing, they went on to win the world series in 2013 by not acquiring big name free agents.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
These overreactions are quite comical but expected

It was the same thing last season when everyone lost their cool because "ownership" wouldn't pony up the money to re-sign David Price. Instead we signed some chump in JA Happ and brought back Estrada

Same thing when the Boston Red Soxs lost 95 games in 2012 and all they did in the off-season is sign Victorino, Uehara, Ross, Gomes, Napoli, Hanrahan. Funny thing, they went on to win the world series in 2013 by not acquiring big name free agents.

Losing Price totally different than Edwin....you see the Rogers Centre full of parrots? There is a massive fan connection with Edwin .....

I would expect some blow back on this one assuming he is 100% gone...

What did Edwin want before the season started? Was it more or less than 4 x 20m?
That was the Jays major mistake.

This is like the Pens letting Crosby walk in many of the fans eyes..

Major ticket price increases,major sellouts, and record TV viewership,get you Morales and Pearce...lol

Last edited:

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Such overreaction. I am willing to bet Edwin will get more than 4/80.

3/48 for Rich Hill :laugh:
4/60 for Melancon. Teams are overvaluing relievers a lot nowadays due to some recency bias. Chapman and Jansen deals are going to be nuts.

I read somewhere that Jays have offered Fowler 4/60 and the agent is looking for 18M per. Honestly, with some of the contracts we have seen in FA and the fact they are getting inflated each year, I'd just offer 4/70 (17.5M per) and pretty much wrap up your FA. After that, they can just sit back, look for potential bargains towards the end of FA and look for cheap relievers.

What's so funny about 16milAAV for 3 years? Hill is a good curveball pitcher who's had a great season. Dodgers were desperate to keep him because of how terrible the FA crop is for starting pitchers this year. Maybe 3 years bites them in the ass with how old Hill is, but I don't think there's any reason to think that just yet (his numbers have been steady in the past few years including last season).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

no it's not the same.

this year we already know that our FO put in a very fair bid on EE, which might end up being more than he ends up signing for. It also sounds like they're legit in on Fowler, another of the top FAs on the market.

Last year they avoided the top of the market like the plague.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Losing Price totally different than Edwin....you see the Rogers Centre full of parrots? There is a massive fan connection with Edwin .....

I would expect some blow back on this one....

I would expect blowback if there wasnt already a more than reasonable offer on the table, and the jays wouldnt even offer any contract.

They did though, not much more you can do, you cant FORCE players to play for you, nor does any of us know exactly what EE is thinking. Its easy to say as a fan im willing to pass up on an extra sum of millions.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wonder what this means for Mitch Moreland.

She made it seems like talks were pretty serious last night.

Morales at DH - Moreland at 1B - Pearce as backup/utility would be pretty sick.

Maybe we can grab a pen arm for Smoak?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I would expect blowback if there wasnt already a more than reasonable offer on the table, and the jays wouldnt even offer any contract.

They did though, not much more you can do, you cant FORCE players to play for you, nor does any of us know exactly what EE is thinking. Its easy to say as a fan im willing to pass up on an extra sum of millions.

Hindsight always 20/20 ,but man the Jays picked the wrong time to get good...If they would have stayed in suck mode for 1 1/2 years they could have traded Eddie and Jose ,that would have set the team up for next 10 years....I guess we got 2 draft picks tho...

Again Blue Jays gambled on Eddie at the start of the season by not giving him a new deal which likely was 20 million or less,and hoped they could resign him in the off season ....It back fired...

Blaming Eddie for not taking the money, hey he wanted money before the season started too, much less money....

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Fowler/Pearce/Morales were more valuable than EE/Joey/Saunders last year.

But that doesn't mean much if we cheap out and don't sign Fowler.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hindsight always 20/20 ,but man the Jays picked the wrong time to get good...If they would have stayed in suck mode for 1 1/2 years they could have traded Eddie and Jose ,that would have set the team up for next 10 years....I guess we got 2 draft picks tho...

yeah they could have traded Eddie and Jose and then maybe hopefully been good enough to, say, go to back to back ALCS in a few years.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Ah yes, David Ortiz and his unwavering commitment to the Boston Re...

Sorry man I don't know how this relates????

Did he re-up in Boston??? Did he basically play his entire career in Boston? His good seasons anyways?

Come one man .. give your head a shake. After cooler heads prevailed he stayed in Boston. Believe me he could have gone anywhere for that same contract.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios

I would expect some blow back on this one assuming he is 100% gone...

What did Edwin want before the season started? Was it more or less than 4 x 20m?
That was the Jays major mistake.

This is like the Pens letting Crosby walk in many of the fans eyes..

Major ticket price increases,major sellouts, and record TV viewership,get you Morales and Pearce...lol

Do you know this as a fact or is it an assumption on your part?

I don't care if we see parrots or not, I'd rather see wins. Losing Edwin is not like losing Crosby. Crosby is the best player in the game, Edwin is nowhere near that and Edwin isn't even the best player on his team. So it's December 5, we signed Morales and Pearce. Off-season over.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Losing Price should be no different than losing Edwin. Emotionally sure, but in terms of trying to build a winning team you have to make a decision what's best to help you win. Last year that was Price v. Estrada/Happ/+ and we came out on the right end. This year it's Edwin/mid OF/crap OF/meh DH/crap pen v. Morales/Pearce/hopefully Fowler/mid range pen. There's only so much money to go around as much as we all want to pretend we can throw cash at things.

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Do you know this as a fact or is it an assumption on your part?

I don't care if we see parrots or not, I'd rather see wins. Losing Edwin is not like losing Crosby. Crosby is the best player in the game, Edwin is nowhere near that and Edwin isn't even the best player on his team. So it's December 5, we signed Morales and Pearce. Off-season over.

This possibility is goona be the kick in the gut .....and make many Jays fans go insane...
If this happens ..lol

Could Edwin sign elsewhere for less than Jays offered?
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/encarnacion-sign-elsewhere-less-blue-jays-offered/

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It appears as if I am one of the few posters who doesn't really want to give Dexter Fowler a large contract :dunno:

Despite hitting .276/.393/.447 with 13 home runs, 25 doubles, and 13 stolen bases a season ago, there is some concern with signing Fowler. He's averaged 129 games over the last four seasons and playing up to 81 games on the Rogers Centre turf isn't ideal for a player who dealt with hamstring issues in 2016. Fowler is also tied to draft-pick compensation, though the Blue Jays could gain a pair of compensation picks should Edwin Encarnacion and Jose Bautista sign elsewhere.

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1174736-report-blue-jays-fowler-remain-apart-in-contract-talks

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Will got the budget friendly way, Ben Revere 2 years 5 million;)

I think we all know how much I would love to see Ben Revere return to Toronto :sarcasm:

All jokes aside, if Revere came cheap, he would be a good fourth outfielder, potentially even a platoon bat.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I wonder what this means for Mitch Moreland.

She made it seems like talks were pretty serious last night.

Morales at DH - Moreland at 1B - Pearce as backup/utility would be pretty sick.

Maybe we can grab a pen arm for Smoak?

getting Moreland would be pretty sick, but not exactly the kind you're describing. He's a glorified version of Justin Smoak. Smoak is bad. So is Moreland. Maybe slightly better but still bad.

I hope this means Mitch Moreland shall never again enter the mind of Ross Atkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->