Celtics/NBA Off-Season/Draft - Celtics complete sign-and-trade, send Gordon Hayward to Hornets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I like where the Celtics are right now. I wish they could have brought Baynes in, too, but between Theis/Thompson/Williams I think the Celtics have guys who can patrol the middle fairly well and maybe Thompson can help mentor Williams a bit.

While I would have liked to see the Celtics get something from moving Heyward, he really hasn't been a big piece of this lineup for awhile and I was never really a fan of adding Miles' contract. I don't follow the NBA close enough to know the ins-and-outs of the cap manipulation here, but I like the roster Boston is putting together.

Reactions: CDJ and DKH

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Mismanaged his way into a Tatum/Brown core.

But yeah again keep crying about your hypotheticals. I’ve never seen somebody have less of a clue. Genuinely

Now shhhhhh, nobody wants to hear you bitch incessantly about something that hasn’t even happened yet because you’ve dug yourself in too deep on your Danny Ainge take

Also one last thing- it’s not his fault you put stock into NBA rumors. Most of its put out there by teams or agents for leverage. Sorry he hurts your feelsies because the gossip you wish would happen didn’t happen
No one would argue he didn't do a great job trading Pierce and KG to the nets, but he has mismanged a lot of his assets and his drafting outside the top 6 has been horrendous. The last good player heot outside the top 6 was Avery Bradley and before that it was Al Jefferson

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
No one would argue he didn't do a great job trading Pierce and KG to the nets, but he has mismanged a lot of his assets and his drafting outside the top 6 has been horrendous. The last good player heot outside the top 6 was Avery Bradley and before that it was Al Jefferson

definitely willing to let the guys of the last couple drafts get more time. I think Grant Williams is going to be very good complementary player. Time Lord flashed in the playoffs. Langford had moments when given some run. Guys like RJ Hunter and JR Giddens and Fab Melo were wastes but I don’t really feel too strongly one way or the other about his drafting. It’s so-so. He managed to get a few average guys like Sullinger and Olynyk who did help contribute. Wish we picked Giannis but alas, nobody saw this coming. Going Tatum over Fultz when the consensus thought they were nuts was franchise altering though and he deserves a ton of credit for it. You can argue he made the best trade in each of the last two decades (that trade and then the KG one)

Wouldn’t consider him horrendous, wouldn’t consider him great at drafting. I think he’s quite good at managing assets overall though and I think he’s probably a top 5 GM in the league. He turned the team around QUICK after the big 3 era to get us back to the ECF 3 out of the last 4 years (with the only miss being because of that malignant tumor with legs Kyrie)

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Looks like both the Pacers and Celtics offered Hayward over 100 mill.

yeah Zach Lowe saying both teams were really only 15 milly or so off. Charlotte is a great place to live though, it’s the most chill city ever. Very nice spot to raise a young family. He clearly like it’s there- it’s the 2nd time he’s tried to go there. Glad he got that kind of security, dude has been through a lot.

Honestly wild that smart franchise like Indy and Boston were willing to do 4 years at that money

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m not huge on Edwards- best case scenario he’s Eddie House but even then I don’t see him getting the run needed to establish himself

Langford/Grant/Timelord all flashed at different points though. I think they can all be very useful. Langford and Grant in particular play pretty good defense from what I’ve seen and that’s how they’re gonna see minutes initially

Reactions: bbfan419

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I was thinking of it- that Pritchard pick was very important. Stevens came out and said it would be a bit before Kemba could go full steam so there are possibly going to be plenty of nights when Teague is the starter and a backup to him is required to play decent minutes. In college he had unlimited range and a knack for knocking down big shots, that will serve him well against the elite size and athleticism he will see in the nba

Pritchard also apparently played AAU with Edwards and Langford and played in the 2016 Summit with Tatum

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I’m not huge on Edwards- best case scenario he’s Eddie House but even then I don’t see him getting the run needed to establish himself

Langford/Grant/Timelord all flashed at different points though. I think they can all be very useful. Langford and Grant in particular play pretty good defense from what I’ve seen and that’s how they’re gonna see minutes initially

I think at worst, Grant Williams is a Leon Powe, a dependable defender off the bench who can surprise you with some points. Langford I'm not that high on, but I'm curious to see how much he's improved this offseason. I love Time Lord and i think he can learn a lot from Thompson. Thompson, Theis, Time Lord in my eyes is a good rotation.

Reactions: pgm16 and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think at worst, Grant Williams is a Leon Powe, a dependable defender off the bench who can surprise you with some points. Langford I'm not that high on, but I'm curious to see how much he's improved this offseason. I love Time Lord and i think he can learn a lot from Thompson. Thompson, Theis, Time Lord in my eyes is a good rotation.

langford probably hasn’t improved a lot because I think he’s still in a cast unfortunately. I was actually surprised at the minutes he got at times, seems like Brad likes him. He needs to improve his shot in a big way but everything else is there to be a successful player imo

The good news is that the Celtics must have a great shooting coach or something because we’ve seen Jaylen and Jayson come into the league with similar knocks (not to mention Smart has become a pretty good 3 point shooter). They’ve shown they can improve people’s shooting

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
yeah Zach Lowe saying both teams were really only 15 milly or so off. Charlotte is a great place to live though, it’s the most chill city ever. Very nice spot to raise a young family. He clearly like it’s there- it’s the 2nd time he’s tried to go there. Glad he got that kind of security, dude has been through a lot.

Honestly wild that smart franchise like Indy and Boston were willing to do 4 years at that money
Boston's offer was to leverage Indy. Hayward wasnt coming to back to Boston.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I was just looking at the 2021 FA list and I’ve already triple circled and highlighted Rudy Gobert in a S&T with the massive trade exception so hopefully that exception is en route

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ah yes another pick in the mid 20s so you can cry about not trading it for an impact player (which nobody was gonna do since picks in the 20s have little trade value). Totally incentivizes him to take on a guy who kills their flexibility and championship ceiling going forward. That pick really puts things over the top *fart noise*

Idk what part of “he didn’t want Myles Turner” people don’t understand. And I totally get why. Oh well doesn’t matter because Charlotte offered 120 and Indiana didn’t feel like trying to dump salary another way to get him (which was always a possibility)

Also this is neither here nor there but you seem to run with every nba rumor like it’s gospel. Probably not wise as they’re often times put out there by agents and teams to manipulated. Speaking of Zach Lowe said there was talk Danny shopped the idea of Turner around the league and he wasn’t all that desired of a target. Nobody wanted to part with much for him. You should try believing l Want to know why? The 2021 offseason is going to be insane and it’s incredibly stupid to basically cancel your flexibility for then to add a guy that absolutely will not put you over the top because he’s constantly getting bullied into submission and demolished by star bigs

It’s thanksgiving give it a rest brother. Wait to see if the trade exception happens. That’s wildly more valuable than Turner and the 25th pick in the draft. Turner has negative trade value to us and the sooner people get that through their heads the better. If the exception doesn’t come then continue bitching. By all means, you would be right! Until then you’re crying about nothing

go take a look at Thompson’s last few games against Embiid and then Turners last few games against Embiid and tell me with a straight face you prefer Myles at 18

Games Played Between Joel Embiid and Myles Turner

Bullied. Into. Submission. A complete non factor at 18 milly against high profile bigs. Conventional wisdom these days is you only pay big money to championship caliber centers. He is not that. He has shown it time and time again when going up against a big name and getting neutered

We have Timelord/Theis/TT making less than him combined. Way better roster management.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty93

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Ah yes another pick in the mid 20s so you can cry about not trading it for an impact player (which nobody was gonna do since picks in the 20s have little trade value). Totally incentivizes him to take on a guy who kills their flexibility and championship ceiling going forward. That pick really puts things over the top *fart noise*

Idk what part of “he didn’t want Myles Turner” people don’t understand. And I totally get why. Oh well doesn’t matter because Charlotte offered 120 and Indiana didn’t feel like trying to dump salary another way to get him (which was always a possibility)

Also this is neither here nor there but you seem to run with every nba rumor like it’s gospel. Probably not wise as they’re often times put out there by agents and teams to manipulated. Speaking of Zach Lowe said there was talk Danny shopped the idea of Turner around the league and he wasn’t all that desired of a target. Nobody wanted to part with much for him. You should try believing l Want to know why? The 2021 offseason is going to be insane and it’s incredibly stupid to basically cancel your flexibility for then to add a guy that absolutely will not put you over the top because he’s constantly getting bullied into submission and demolished by star bigs

It’s thanksgiving give it a rest brother. Wait to see if the trade exception happens. That’s wildly more valuable than Turner and the 25th pick in the draft. Turner has negative trade value to us and the sooner people get that through their heads the better. If the exception doesn’t come then continue bitching. By all means, you would be right! Until then you’re crying about nothing

go take a look at Thompson’s last few games against Embiid and then Turners last few games against Embiid and tell me with a straight face you prefer Myles at 18

Games Played Between Joel Embiid and Myles Turner

Bullied. Into. Submission. A complete non factor at 18 milly against high profile bigs. Conventional wisdom these days is you only pay big money to championship caliber centers. He is not that. He has shown it time and time again when going up against a big name and getting neutered

We have Timelord/Theis/TT making less than him combined. Way better roster management.
Its pretty simple why people are pissed. He mismanged another asset. And as we sit here he has nothing for Gordon Hayward. Maybe they will get the mythical trade exception. Even then Danny has to use it and has shown and unwillingness to pull the trigger on a lot of deals. If we end up with some sort of big move at the deadline and he gets and uses the expection, then I'll say I was wrong. But Im not going to sit here and play the what if game with Ainge, like we seem to do every off season and trade deadline. He hasnt made a move at the deadline in 5 years! As it stands they have nothing for Hayward and every day that goes by makes me less and less confident that they will. I'm going to praise Danny for a hypothetical that may or may not happen.

At the end of the day, he can hate Turner all he wants, but the cap slot and the pick are better than losing Hayward for nothing. Turner could have also been moved to. I find it hard to believe someone wouldnt have taken him with a 1st attached to him.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
They could have had both Thompson and Turner. As it stands Thompson is more defensive minded and Turner more offensive. They would have complemented each other well, seeing as Thompson will be out there for late game defensive possessions. And Turner could have been for offensive.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Its pretty simple why people are pissed. He mismanged another asset. And as we sit here he has nothing for Gordon Hayward. Maybe they will get the mythical trade exception. Even then Danny has to use it and has shown and unwillingness to pull the trigger on a lot of deals. If we end up with some sort of big move at the deadline and he gets and uses the expection, then I'll say I was wrong. But Im not going to sit here and play the what if game with Ainge, like we seem to do every off season and trade deadline. He hasnt made a move at the deadline in 5 years! As it stands they have nothing for Hayward and every day that goes by makes me less and less confident that they will. I'm going to praise Danny for a hypothetical that may or may not happen.

At the end of the day, he can hate Turner all he wants, but the cap slot and the pick are better than losing Hayward for nothing. Turner could have also been moved to. I find it hard to believe someone wouldnt have taken him with a 1st attached to him.

again, still hasn’t happened yet. Still complaining about nothing at the moment. I will be right there with you if it doesn’t happen. Hell I’ll be louder! There’s no reason why a trade exception shouldn’t come out of this

I would much rather have the Massive trade exception than Myles turners killing our flexibility and ceiling for 3 years in addition to pick like 25. Like Zach Lowe said- they shopped the idea of Turner around the league and didnt get an overall response they liked.

with the summer of 2021 coming up that trade exception is going to be very useful. Or it might be valuable in a John Collins sign and trade. A Gobert sign and trade (my fantasy). We shall see what happens but the possibilities are going to be endless. It’s a crazy summer

Happy thanksgiving! Can’t wait for this season to start

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
They could have had both Thompson and Turner. As it stands Thompson is more defensive minded and Turner more offensive. They would have complemented each other well, seeing as Thompson will be out there for late game defensive possessions. And Turner could have been for offensive.

I'd rather see the continued development of Theis and Time Lord than having both Turner and Thompson. One is enough IMO.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I'd rather see the continued development of Theis and Time Lord than having both Turner and Thompson. One is enough IMO.
Theis is late 20s so I think he is what he is at this point. And as far as Time Lord goes, he had trouble finding minutes last coupleseason when they didnt have a lot of big man options. Gotta imagine Thompson is going to cut into those mintues. At this point I think best case scenario with the Time Lord is that he turns into Thompson like player

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Theis is late 20s so I think he is what he is at this point. And as far as Time Lord goes, he had trouble finding minutes last coupleseason when they didnt have a lot of big man options. Gotta imagine Thompson is going to cut into those mintues. At this point I think best case scenario with the Time Lord is that he turns into Thompson like player

He is in his late 20's, but he's also only been in the NBA for 3 seasons and I've seen improvement in each one. I think it's still within his reach to hit another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad