Celtics/NBA Off-Season/Draft - Celtics complete sign-and-trade, send Gordon Hayward to Hornets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site

“I think, really, talking to people and reading the tea leaves as best I could, it really comes down to the Celtics didn’t want Myles Turner,” Lowe said, later adding “I did hear from some teams around the league that the Celtics have done some preliminary research on what Myles Turner’s trade value would have been to them had they acquired him either in this deal or in a separate deal and obviously didn’t like what they saw.”

“They made a conscious choice that ‘I’d rather have Tristan Thompson at nine-and-a-half (million) and nine-and-a-half, than Myles Turner at 18, 18, 18,” Lowe said. “I think that’s really interesting and it’s not the choice I expected Boston to make.”

Reactions: Winger98

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Celtics didn’t want Turner because they aren’t fantasy basketball players, they’re trying to actually win a title. Trade exception >>>>

I wasn’t butchering the guy for no reason, he’s just not that good. He’s slow and and not assertive enough to play the position he plays on a winning team. At least not the role his money dictates

Reactions: Seidenbergy

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Celtics didn’t want Turner because they aren’t fantasy basketball players, they’re trying to actually win a title. Trade exception >>>>

I wasn’t butchering the guy for no reason, he’s just not that good. He’s slow and and not assertive enough to play the position he plays on a winning team. At least not the role his money dictates
Youre living in an absolute fantasy land if you dont want Turner over nothing. Again the cap slot alone is worth it. Not to mention his ability to protect the rim, which is what the Celtics desperately need. Also if Stevens is as good as everyone says he is, he should be able to find a role for this guy.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Youre living in an absolute fantasy land if you dont want Turner over nothing. Again the cap slot alone is worth it. Not to mention his ability to protect the rim, which is what the Celtics desperately need. Also if Stevens is as good as everyone says he is, he should be able to find a role for this guy.

trade exception will probably be more than the cap slot but this way we don’t have to pay 18 milly to a soft, mediocre center to play behind Theis in crunch time

If only “rim protection” matters then timelord would get 30 min. But alas you play fantasy basketball, they play real basketball. Blocking shots =/= good defender

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’ll go lick a gas pump handle and get covid if the Hornets stretch Batum instead of doing a S & T. Wouldn’t shock me if this turns into some 5 way bullshit lol

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
trade exception will probably be more than the cap slot but this way we don’t have to pay a soft, mediocre center to play behind Theis in crunch time

If only “rim protection” matters then timelord would get 30 min. But alas you play fantasy basketball, they play real basketball. Blocking shots =/= good defender
Lead the league in blocks. I think theu could find a spot for him. And now we are going to compare the Time Lord to Myles Turner... ok

Also Thompson wont be on the floor during crunch time because he cant shoot FTs. And neither will Theis cause he fouls out every other game.

Reactions: EvilDead

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You literally responded to a post saying “blocking shots =/= Good defender” by telling me about him blocking shots, I can’t do this anymore

Theis averages 3.5 fouls a game and I bet they would go with Grant Williams before Turner because he can actually defend a pick and roll

Tristan is back in the 60’s, not hard to avoid getting him the ball with under a minute left

I know what their preference would be if the options are let Thompson probably not shoot free throws late or let Joel Embiid mutilate Turner while we pay him 18 milly

In a matter of days you will have nothing to complain about. Just shhhh until then. Shhhh. If a trade exception doesn’t come you can start back up again. Until then you’re literally crying about nothing

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I wouldn't say that it's "dead cap money" just yet. Let's see if the sign-and-trade with Charlotte for a trade exception comes to pass.

Also, I think you're downplaying the luxury tax implications. It's one thing to pay a huge luxury tax if you're getting someone like TJ Warren or Victor Oladipo in return - guys who are real difference-makers. Its' another to pay luxury tax in exchange for Myles Turner and Doug McDermott, when you could probably sign free agents who are nearly as good that won't cost you an extra $55 million.

(Yes, I know the owners of the Celtics are rich. No, I don't think they have bottomless pit of money that they're willing to shovel into a furnace.)

What good is a trade exception if you don't have assets to move it to get an extra player? No team is going to just take on a trade exception of $20 million plus for a talented player. They would only do that if the player sucks, in which case it is a salary dump.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

A trade exception is worthless unless you have assets to pair with it to get something good.

So unless the Celtics want to package two firsts and Smart/some other player plus the exception to get a talented piece, that trade exception is worthless and will be gone by the year.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They’ll be able to get somebody useful around the deadline with it.

And thank you for the explanation but I understand how trade exceptions works and I disagree about their value when talking about a team over the cap. That’s a very valuable thing to have as a eastern conference contender and gives them flexibility to do something if they need to WITHOUT giving up a guy like Smart or Theis to match salaries

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
You literally responded to a post saying “blocking shots =/= Good defender” by telling me about him blocking shots, I can’t do this anymore

Theis averages 3.5 fouls a game and I bet they would go with Grant Williams before Turner because he can actually defend a pick and roll

Tristan is back in the 60’s, not hard to avoid getting him the ball with under a minute left

I know what their preference would be if the options are let Thompson probably not shoot free throws late or let Joel Embiid mutilate Turner while we pay him 18 milly

In a matter of days you will have nothing to complain about. Just shhhh until then. Shhhh. If a trade exception doesn’t come you can start back up again. Until then you’re literally crying about nothing
They need a rim protector. Blocking shots is the definition of protecting the rim. No one is calling him Hakeem, but he's better than what they have. And hes young enough and can still develop so more. Big men tend to take longer.

But by all means keep waiting on Ainge. He certainly has a lot of celtics fans wrapped around his fingers. We do this every offseason/deadline with Ainge. We hear about all these great moves on the table and he comes up empty. Doesnt that ever get old to you?

What the hell good is a trade expection if Danny isnt going to use it unless he gets a lopsided deal? He has continued to mismange assets the last few years. Horford, Kyrie, Hayward, both the Memphis and Sacramento pick.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Mismanaged his way into a Tatum/Brown core.

But yeah again keep crying about your hypotheticals. I’ve never seen somebody have less of a clue. Genuinely

Now shhhhhh, nobody wants to hear you bitch incessantly about something that hasn’t even happened yet because you’ve dug yourself in too deep on your Danny Ainge take

Also one last thing- it’s not his fault you put stock into NBA rumors. Most of its put out there by teams or agents for leverage. Sorry he hurts your feelsies because the gossip you wish would happen didn’t happen

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Getting Thompson is OK, certainly not the best, but the price will be OK if he can stay injury-free. I hope we don't have to hear, see or read about that stupid (not so stupid look at the money they have made off of stupid supporters) fvcking Kardashian family while he is with the Celtics.

Go Celtics

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Fun fact Hassan Whiteside led the league in blocks this year but can’t find a team. Perhaps blocking shots doesn’t mean anything if you’re not good defending anywhere else? Curious

It really is remarkable how the NBA has turned these plodding bigs into scrap

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Forget about Gordon Hayward leaving and forget about Jayson Tatum re-signing this is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE NEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from cbssports.com:

Tacko Fall will re-sign with the Boston Celtics on a two-way deal, according to The Athletic's Shams Charania. Fall, the tallest player in the NBA at 7-5, just completed his rookie season on another two-way deal. This season, however, he should expect to see more time with the Celtics than the Maine Red Claws, Boston's G League affiliate, thanks to tweaks in the structure of two-way deals. Normally, two-way players are allowed to spend only 45 days with their NBA teams. That includes travel and practice days. The rules have been relaxed significantly this season. Now, two-way players can be active for up to 50 games in the NBA.

That should give Fall, who scarcely saw the floor last season, more a chance to actually play for the Celtics. While he averaged 12.9 points, 11.4 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per game in Maine, he played only 33 total minutes for Boston. Those minutes came in garbage time. With a condensed schedule likely forcing some load-management, though, Fall might have a chance to play some meaningful regular-season minutes for the Celtics.

The deal is extremely low-risk for Boston, and while the reward on the court appears limited, the off-court benefits of Fall's presence are more than justify the signing. Fall has become a fan-favorite due to his affable personality and enormous size. He is a household name in the NBA, especially after Aaron Gordon dunked over him in the Slam Dunk Contest.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
TACKO TIME

team morale goin up!

Waters got the other 2 way. League scouts were saying nice things about him last year, saying he’d be a backup PG in the league for awhile. I think he’s too small personally but we shall see

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Forget about Gordon Hayward leaving and forget about Jayson Tatum re-signing this is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE NEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from cbssports.com:

Tacko Fall will re-sign with the Boston Celtics on a two-way deal, according to The Athletic's Shams Charania. Fall, the tallest player in the NBA at 7-5, just completed his rookie season on another two-way deal. This season, however, he should expect to see more time with the Celtics than the Maine Red Claws, Boston's G League affiliate, thanks to tweaks in the structure of two-way deals. Normally, two-way players are allowed to spend only 45 days with their NBA teams. That includes travel and practice days. The rules have been relaxed significantly this season. Now, two-way players can be active for up to 50 games in the NBA.

That should give Fall, who scarcely saw the floor last season, more a chance to actually play for the Celtics. While he averaged 12.9 points, 11.4 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per game in Maine, he played only 33 total minutes for Boston. Those minutes came in garbage time. With a condensed schedule likely forcing some load-management, though, Fall might have a chance to play some meaningful regular-season minutes for the Celtics.

The deal is extremely low-risk for Boston, and while the reward on the court appears limited, the off-court benefits of Fall's presence are more than justify the signing. Fall has become a fan-favorite due to his affable personality and enormous size. He is a household name in the NBA, especially after Aaron Gordon dunked over him in the Slam Dunk Contest.

Great investment - jersey sales alone will generate big $

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->