Celtics/NBA Off-Season/Draft - Celtics lock in Jayson Tatum with five-year, $195 max contract extension

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, Sep 11, 2020.

1. REMINDER: Political Discussion is NOT PERMITTED
    Dismiss Notice
  1. pgm16 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not too bad a day after all !

2. Gator Mike Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
  3. CDJ Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 49,950
    So if they do get a trade exception from the hornets they will have up to about $20 milly to play with on a sign and trade

Bogdanovic plz

4. Gator Mike Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
  5. BernieMcAvoy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Even if he's not still the same player he was he can still shoot the ball well and knows Stevens' system. IT might be on his last chance but it's not like Teague is the same player he was in Atlanta

6. CDJ Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 49,950
    he just creates such a problem defensively that I’m not sure his offense is worth it at this point. Not his fault either...you can only be so tall. But now he’s got the hip that’s been operated on and it’s tough to accept that coupled with his height

7. Johnnyduke Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The NBA is funny.

"Charlotte signs Hayward"

Hours later:

"Sign and trade of Hayward from Celtics is still possible"

So has he signed with Charlotte or not?

8. Troublesome 85 Rest In Peace Bree, Sapo, Yamz, Paybacc & Daz

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He has and he hasn't

CDJ likes this.
  9. CDJ Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 49,950
    I don’t think stuff can become official official yet, only like kinda sorta official

also I’m cracking up reading Hornets fans on Twitter, they’re so mad. This is from before the sign and trade talk was announced

10. McGarnagle Yes.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Tristan Thompson strikes me as a great signing

pgm16 likes this.
  11. Johnnyduke Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Khloe Kardashian would LOVE Boston :laugh:

Maine Fan likes this.
  12. EvilDead Hickory Dickory Dock...

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Use flimsy analytics all you want to justify this half baked panic signing. Thompson is much older than Turner (and has more miles no pun intended), hasn't been able to stay healthy for more than 60 games a season since 2016-17, is undersized as a stretch 5 (both in height and wingspan), and is garbage from outside.

13. BamZoni Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    By anyone and everyone who knows basketball it’s a fantastic singing! Great job yet again Danny!

08SeaBass08, Maine Fan and CDJ like this.
  14. CDJ Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 49,950
    Finally signs a rebounder/interior defender with championship experience that averaged a double-double to fill a major need that we’ve had FOREVER and it’s a “half baked panic signing”

Yeah there is no agenda here. GTFO.

15. BostonBob 4 Ever The Greatest

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Bartender / Actor
    And a Canadian. :thumbu:

Maine Fan, pgm16 and CDJ like this.
  16. EvilDead Hickory Dickory Dock...

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    How dare I be critical and use my eyes.:rolleyes:

I hope the Tristan Thompson signing works but he needs to be healthy for more than 60 games.

17. CDJ Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 49,950
    Your eye test is hot trash if you don’t think he fills a major need. You just want to cry about everything Ainge does.

“Half baked panic garbage”, only garbage is that take. This place has been bitching about wanting a big like him for years and he finally gets it but your “eye test” concludes it’s a horrible move as if you watch Cleveland cavaliers games lol. The only time you see him is when he kills the Celtics. You just want to push your agenda.

also the guy youre crying about walking in free agency (which you also somehow blame Ainge for being too greedy for, also a demonstrably shitty take) is what exactly if not injury prone?

as far as his games played goes he’s been on a bottom 3 team in basketball the last 2 years, they’ve been very conservative with him. I’m not all that concerned as long as he’s available for the playoffs

It’s a 2 year deal worth peanuts by NBA free agency standards. It fills a major need. I just don’t get the gripe. Not even like a little bit

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:03 AM
    Richard Lather and BigGoalBrad like this.
  18. CDJ Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 49,950
    Also Myles Turner isn’t good, I figure I’d throw that out there. He blocks shots and can shoot reasonably well for a big. That’s it. He stinks defensively if he’s not blocking the shot. Gets eaten up in the pick and roll. He doesn’t rebound. Like I said before all the moves happened his most useful purpose is that he’s a medium sized salary to trade over Smart in a deal matching situation

There’s a reason why Indiana was trying to move him for the right to sign a 30+ year old with nerve pain

If the Celtics do end up with an exception and they pull off something like Thompson/Teague/Bogdanovic or some other quality player i would much prefer that to Myles Turner and Doug McDermott. Not even close really

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 11:16 AM
  19. BigGoalBrad Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I'll take the injury risks to get guys good enough to make a difference. Teague can make the 2nd unit go from bad to good. Thompson isn't that old I take my chances he holds up for 2 years. There just aren't many guys who are as good defensively and gobble up rebounds.

Maine Fan likes this.
  20. CDJ Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 49,950

Exactly right- people probably look at block totals and think Turner is the better defensive player but Thompson is miles better at defending the pick and roll and is much better at switching. Kinda important on this team.

He also gets rave reviews from the young guys on the cavs for his locker room presence

21. EvilDead Hickory Dickory Dock...

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Bullshit. The Jeff Teague signing was actually a smart signing in my opinion. Big upgrade over Wanamaker.

And again, if we are getting the Tristan Thompson of 3 years ago, then cool. If not, this was a mistake. And speaking of agendas since turnabout is fair play, you seem to have an agenda against Myles Turner who has been a legitimate big man in the NBA.

And yeah, I am angry (not crying as you dismissively like to put it) that Danny mismanaged an asset.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 10:53 PM
  22. CDJ Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 49,950
    An agenda against a player because I point out facts about him? He can shoot (for a big) and block shots. That’s literally it. What else do you think he does better than Thompson? Please, enlighten me. You apparently watch a ton of Cleveland games so I want to learn from your masterful eye test that is apparently more insightful than actual analysts and talent evaluators (and my own eye test).

every expert around the league disagrees. They’re saying this is good for the Celtics. He was a good player last year for the Cavs. If he gets hurt and misses 20 games but is around for the playoffs it is still a good deal for the Celtics. The MLE is peanuts. He’s one of the best rebounders in the league and gives them another quality paint defender so they finally have something more than Theis (Timelord kinda stinks defensively despite being good at blocking shots...hopefully he becomes smarter and stops trying to send everything to the moon, however fun it may be to watch )

And yeah he didn’t mismanage any asset, you just don’t understand how free agency + sign and trades work. Unless you think he should have traded him in the middle of the season when they were competing for a spot in the finals. In which case you’re just crazy.

A closing lineup of Walker-Smart-Brown-Tatum-Thompson is nice

I’m hot and cold about Teague. I like it because the bench desperately needed veteran leadership and scoring, I don’t like it because he’s completely ball dominant. But honestly on second thought that may not be a bad thing with the composition of the second unit

If you personally dislike the Thompson signing then fine, but terming it as a “half-baked panic move” is ludicrous

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 11:33 AM
  23. Alicat HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Tristan Thompson better leave his baggage at home. I have no desires to hear about his off the court bs for the next 2 years.

Maine Fan and EvilDead like this.
  24. N o o d l e s Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Giles just signed in Portland

25. CDJ Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 49,950
    What baggage- His girlfriend? Well you’re unfortunately probably gonna hear about Khloe, not much he can do about it other than break up with her. If you’re talking about him cheating on Khloe then every nba team has A LOT of baggage. Outside of the kardashian stuff he’s been a positive influence on the community- does a lot of work on behalf of raising money for epilepsy research.

If it doesn’t impact his play I personally do not give a shit who he is dating