Celtics/NBA Off-Season/Draft - Celtics complete sign-and-trade, send Gordon Hayward to Hornets

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So if they do get a trade exception from the hornets they will have up to about $20 milly to play with on a sign and trade

Bogdanovic plz

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
for the inherent nostalgia and good vibes yes, as a player at this point I’m not sure
Even if he's not still the same player he was he can still shoot the ball well and knows Stevens' system. IT might be on his last chance but it's not like Teague is the same player he was in Atlanta

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Even if he's not still the same player he was he can still shoot the ball well and knows Stevens' system. IT might be on his last chance but it's not like Teague is the same player he was in Atlanta

he just creates such a problem defensively that I’m not sure his offense is worth it at this point. Not his fault either...you can only be so tall. But now he’s got the hip that’s been operated on and it’s tough to accept that coupled with his height

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The NBA is funny.

"Charlotte signs Hayward"

Hours later:

"Sign and trade of Hayward from Celtics is still possible"

So has he signed with Charlotte or not?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The NBA is funny.

"Charlotte signs Hayward"

Hours later:

"Sign and trade of Hayward from Celtics is still possible"

So has he signed with Charlotte or not?

I don’t think stuff can become official official yet, only like kinda sorta official

also I’m cracking up reading Hornets fans on Twitter, they’re so mad. This is from before the sign and trade talk was announced

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
For what it's worth:

2019-20 Tristan Thompson (per 100 possessions)
19.3 points
16.3 rebounds
1.4 blocked shots
3.4 assists
2020-21 salary: ~$9.5 million

2019-20 Myles Turner (per 100 possessions)
19.9 points
10.8 rebounds
3.5 blocked shots
1.9 assist
2020-21 salary: $18.0 million

And that, boys and girls, is why Myles Turner plus filler was a non-starter for the Celtics.

Use flimsy analytics all you want to justify this half baked panic signing. Thompson is much older than Turner (and has more miles no pun intended), hasn't been able to stay healthy for more than 60 games a season since 2016-17, is undersized as a stretch 5 (both in height and wingspan), and is garbage from outside.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
Use flimsy analytics all you want to justify this half baked panic signing. Thompson is much older than Turner (and has more miles no pun intended), hasn't been able to stay healthy for more than 60 games a season since 2016-17, is undersized as a stretch 5 (both in height and wingspan), and is garbage from outside.
By anyone and everyone who knows basketball it’s a fantastic singing! Great job yet again Danny!

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Finally signs a rebounder/interior defender with championship experience that averaged a double-double to fill a major need that we’ve had FOREVER and it’s a “half baked panic signing”

Yeah there is no agenda here. GTFO.

How dare I be critical and use my eyes.:rolleyes:

I hope the Tristan Thompson signing works but he needs to be healthy for more than 60 games.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
How dare I be critical and use my eyes.:rolleyes:

I hope the Tristan Thompson signing works but he needs to be healthy for more than 60 games.

Your eye test is hot trash if you don’t think he fills a major need. You just want to cry about everything Ainge does.

“Half baked panic garbage”, only garbage is that take. This place has been bitching about wanting a big like him for years and he finally gets it but your “eye test” concludes it’s a horrible move as if you watch Cleveland cavaliers games lol. The only time you see him is when he kills the Celtics. You just want to push your agenda.

also the guy youre crying about walking in free agency (which you also somehow blame Ainge for being too greedy for, also a demonstrably shitty take) is what exactly if not injury prone?

as far as his games played goes he’s been on a bottom 3 team in basketball the last 2 years, they’ve been very conservative with him. I’m not all that concerned as long as he’s available for the playoffs

It’s a 2 year deal worth peanuts by NBA free agency standards. It fills a major need. I just don’t get the gripe. Not even like a little bit

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also Myles Turner isn’t good, I figure I’d throw that out there. He blocks shots and can shoot reasonably well for a big. That’s it. He stinks defensively if he’s not blocking the shot. Gets eaten up in the pick and roll. He doesn’t rebound. Like I said before all the moves happened his most useful purpose is that he’s a medium sized salary to trade over Smart in a deal matching situation

There’s a reason why Indiana was trying to move him for the right to sign a 30+ year old with nerve pain

If the Celtics do end up with an exception and they pull off something like Thompson/Teague/Bogdanovic or some other quality player i would much prefer that to Myles Turner and Doug McDermott. Not even close really

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'll take the injury risks to get guys good enough to make a difference. Teague can make the 2nd unit go from bad to good. Thompson isn't that old I take my chances he holds up for 2 years. There just aren't many guys who are as good defensively and gobble up rebounds.

Reactions: Maine Fan

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'll take the injury risks to get guys good enough to make a difference. Teague can make the 2nd unit go from bad to good. Thompson isn't that old I take my chances he holds up for 2 years. There just aren't many guys who are as good defensively and gobble up rebounds.

Exactly right- people probably look at block totals and think Turner is the better defensive player but Thompson is miles better at defending the pick and roll and is much better at switching. Kinda important on this team.

He also gets rave reviews from the young guys on the cavs for his locker room presence

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Your eye test is hot trash if you don’t think he fills a major need. You just want to cry about everything Ainge does.

“Half baked panic garbage”, only garbage is that take. This place has been bitching about wanting a big like him for years and he finally gets it but your “eye test” concludes it’s a horrible move as if you watch Cleveland cavaliers games lol. The only time you see him is when he kills the Celtics. You just want to push your agenda.

also the guy youre crying about walking in free agency (which you also somehow blame Ainge for being too greedy for, also a demonstrably shitty take) is what exactly if not injury prone?

as far as his games played goes he’s been on a bottom 3 team in basketball the last 2 years, they’ve been very conservative with him. I’m not all that concerned as long as he’s available for the playoffs

It’s a 2 year deal worth peanuts by NBA free agency standards. It fills a major need. I just don’t get the gripe. Not even like a little bit

Bullshit. The Jeff Teague signing was actually a smart signing in my opinion. Big upgrade over Wanamaker.

And again, if we are getting the Tristan Thompson of 3 years ago, then cool. If not, this was a mistake. And speaking of agendas since turnabout is fair play, you seem to have an agenda against Myles Turner who has been a legitimate big man in the NBA.

And yeah, I am angry (not crying as you dismissively like to put it) that Danny mismanaged an asset.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Bullshit. The Jeff Teague signing was actually a smart signing in my opinion. Big upgrade over Wanamaker.

And again, if we are getting the Tristan Thompson of 3 years ago, then cool. If not, this was a mistake. And speaking of agendas since turnabout is fair play, you seem to have an agenda against Myles Turner who has been a legitimate big man in the NBA.

And yeah, I am angry (not crying as you dismissively like to put it) that Dannymmismanaged an asset.

An agenda against a player because I point out facts about him? He can shoot (for a big) and block shots. That’s literally it. What else do you think he does better than Thompson? Please, enlighten me. You apparently watch a ton of Cleveland games so I want to learn from your masterful eye test that is apparently more insightful than actual analysts and talent evaluators (and my own eye test).

every expert around the league disagrees. They’re saying this is good for the Celtics. He was a good player last year for the Cavs. If he gets hurt and misses 20 games but is around for the playoffs it is still a good deal for the Celtics. The MLE is peanuts. He’s one of the best rebounders in the league and gives them another quality paint defender so they finally have something more than Theis (Timelord kinda stinks defensively despite being good at blocking shots...hopefully he becomes smarter and stops trying to send everything to the moon, however fun it may be to watch )

And yeah he didn’t mismanage any asset, you just don’t understand how free agency + sign and trades work. Unless you think he should have traded him in the middle of the season when they were competing for a spot in the finals. In which case you’re just crazy.

A closing lineup of Walker-Smart-Brown-Tatum-Thompson is nice

I’m hot and cold about Teague. I like it because the bench desperately needed veteran leadership and scoring, I don’t like it because he’s completely ball dominant. But honestly on second thought that may not be a bad thing with the composition of the second unit

If you personally dislike the Thompson signing then fine, but terming it as a “half-baked panic move” is ludicrous

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad