Celtics/NBA Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think the Celtics could make the conference finals with the right moves and actually having a healthy roster but with Fournier going to the Knicks and some good depth pieces already on other teams that opportunity looks to be gone. Richardson had one season with the Heat where he was close to Fournier but he's been dumped by his last two teams after a season, it will be a noticeable drop off. The KD stuff just isn't realistic.

Since Ray Allen left to go to the Heat the Celtics have paid the tax once, they have only missed the playoffs one time during this time as well. This is what worries me long term, Wyc talks a good game about being willing to spend the tax but when the time comes to do it there's always moves made to clear money so they don't have to. They dumped Theis, getting no draft picks in return, just two cheap expiring contracts so they wouldn't have to pay the tax. I like Stevens and think he can bring a new perspective to basketball operations but i also think Wyc kept him around because he didn't want to be pay Stevens for the next 6 years to work somewhere else. The Celtics are a historic franchise, in a demanding city and are run like they're the Kansas City Royals

Richardson hasn’t been very good in a 3 and D role. He’s played with ball dominant guys the last couple of seasons. I don’t think he has to worry about that here so i could see him getting 14-4-4 with good defense.

I’m excited to see if the ball will move this year. From the sounds of things it will

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Richardson hasn’t been very good in a 3 and D role. He’s played with ball dominant guys the last couple of seasons. I don’t think he has to worry about that here so i could see him getting 14-4-4 with good defense.

I’m excited to see if the ball will move this year. From the sounds of things it will
Tatum and Brown are both ball dominant players. I hate to sound like a doomer because most of my posts about the celtics are pessimistic at best but there's less scoring on the roster from last season and they haven't added playmaking at the guard or forward position to compensate for it. They're basically running it back with a similar style roster to last year with Horford instead of Kemba.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I had a nice sized post ready and it refreshed

basically they weren’t always ball dominant and they’re not to the degree of a Doncic, who Richardson recently had to try and mesh with. They actually weren’t when the offense ran through horford either, so hopefully his return helps in that regard

I think they’re a 5-8 seed at best, but next off-season will be interesting. It’s hard to build a true contender in this league when you’re not a premier destination. Unfortunately we aren’t that so we have to be a little more patient than fans of teams like LA

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Richaun Holmes just signed a great contract to return to Sacramento. That would have been a brilliant solution to the center problem but I guess he was never leaving SAC? Rebounding machine

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Don’t really know if there is a center problem, I’m fine with Horford/TimeLord there next year

Semi signed with the Bucks

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Some big paydays for former Celtics today:

Evan Fournier ( Knicks ) 4 years for $78 million
Kelly Olynyk ( Detroit ) 3 years for $37 million
Daniel Theis ( Houston ) 4 years for $36 million
Jeff Green ( Denver ) 2 years for $10 million
Semi Ojeleye ( Milwaukee ) 1 year for ???
Austin Rivers ( Denver ) 1 year for ???

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
By the way - CBS Sports says that Boston still might get an asset for Fournier:

New York is not completely done. Maybe the front office can turn the Fournier signing into a sign-and-trade with the Celtics, who would presumably be willing to give the Knicks something of value in order to salvage a trade exception out of their briefer-than-anticipated Fournier experience.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
By the way - CBS Sports says that Boston still might get an asset for Fournier:

New York is not completely done. Maybe the front office can turn the Fournier signing into a sign-and-trade with the Celtics, who would presumably be willing to give the Knicks something of value in order to salvage a trade exception out of their briefer-than-anticipated Fournier experience.

Well what they are saying is maybe Boston will give NY an asset . so that Boston could get a trade exemption.

As the Knicks and Celtics are divisional rivals, if I'm the Knicks I would want something fairly substantial to help the Celtics by giving them the trade exception

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Well what they are saying is maybe Boston will give NY an asset . so that Boston could get a trade exemption.

As the Knicks and Celtics are divisional rivals, if I'm the Knicks I would want something fairly substantial to help the Celtics by giving them the trade exception

Sure - but the Celtics would also be helping out the Knicks sign Fournier to an extra year. So a small deal might help out both teams. :dunno:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sure - but the Celtics would also be helping out the Knicks sign Fournier to an extra year. So a small deal might help out both teams. :dunno:

Could be, Honestly I'm amazed the Knicks gave him as much as they did over 4 years, personally I would not want to give him any more years

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Yes, Rob, I agree with you. What was the sense of signing Hall if you are taking away or letting escape the center that makes that line go?

There are two mentalities, make the playoffs or make the playoffs and win the cup. Boston seems willing to settle for the first to keep the troops excited.

Great photo of Lola and Finnegan. They are so happy together. You have provided them the best home ever, and they know it.

Stay safe, mask time again.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Really wish they cleaned house and brought in a new GM with a new perspective. I think the bridge year message is the beginning of the end of Tatum and Brown making any real run here bc I think they leave Boston first chance they get.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Really wish they cleaned house and brought in a new GM with a new perspective. I think the bridge year message is the beginning of the end of Tatum and Brown making any real run here bc I think they leave Boston first chance they get.

Disagree.

This is the clear low point of the current era but we'll be better next year. Until now the teams had met expectations since Brown and Tatum were drafted.

Basically I think they'd be leaving a top 5 team whenever they can and I don't really know what the better fit is going to be.

No bad contracts is a win just stay away from free agents and add a couple guys for cheap mid season.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Disagree.

This is the clear low point of the current era but we'll be better next year. Until now the teams had met expectations since Brown and Tatum were drafted.

Basically I think they'd be leaving a top 5 team whenever they can and I don't really know what the better fit is going to be.

No bad contracts is a win just stay away from free agents and add a couple guys for cheap mid season.

Sure we can always say next year will be better, until it becomes next year and we say it will be better the next year after that. At that point I don't think Tatum and Brown stick around

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Players understand that there are going to be years where the team can't really do much because of being hard capped, etc

It's a different story if Celtics go into next offseason with cap space for a big name and do nothing, that's when Tatum/Brown would think about leaving, not this off-season.

Reactions: Maine Fan

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Just wanted to put the nail in that coffin

according to a lot of sources like gasper, Lowe, Gary Washburn and a few others that’s not exactly the timeline that they all seemed to have had.

Pretty much all of them agreed Hayward wanted to go to Indy. Indy wanted to send Turner, McDermott and a first. Danny wanted TJ Warren instead of McDermott. Indy wouldn’t budge and neither would Danny and when talks dried up, Hayward and his agent began talking with Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad