Patriots/NFL Off Season 2019 - Rob Gronkowski announces retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I don't see it. Bob Kraft is still a major player with the big boys in the NFL and they won't gain anything by fining or suspending him especially since it sounds pretty much a given that these charges are going to vaporize. There's no way they can get Kraft to admit anything given how badly botched this was from start to finish. Kraft will pay the price by his image getting tarnished forever but all in all, it's a big nothing. He's a 77 year old man who's private life got dragged through the spotlight, nothing more, nothing less.

The sooner the NFL gets this in the rear view mirror the better. Why would they throw more fuel on the fire by fining or suspending Bob Kraft?

LOL. How long have you been following the NFL under Goodell's reign?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Why should a player's? Yet it happens.
What do you mean?

Stripping a pick from a team due to a player, or coach cheating or creating some ridiciulous bounty gate type scheme is one thing, as it affects, or in the very least COULD affect the outcome of games.

An owner doing something in his private time? Not remotely the same.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
LOL. How long have you been following the NFL under Goodell's reign?

Lol what does Roger Goodell have to gain by imposing anything on one of his most powerful bosses when the charges are going to be dropped? Is he saving the NFL's sterling reputation with all the angels who are associated with the league?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
But Irsay plead guilty. There's no way in hell Bob Kraft admits to anything

If the court was to find Kraft guilty, I am sure there would be some form of punishment.

However, if they can’t make the charges stick, what is Goodell punishing Kraft for exactly?

It would be like suspending a player for PEDs and then finding out the test had been tampered with or administered wrong. Any suspension would be vacated.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
What do you mean?

Stripping a pick from a team due to a player, or coach cheating or creating some ridiciulous bounty gate type scheme is one thing, as it affects, or in the very least COULD affect the outcome of games.

An owner doing something in his private time? Not remotely the same.

I agree. I'm referencing player activities in their private time.....not activities during a game.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Lol what does Roger Goodell have to gain by imposing anything on one of his most powerful bosses when the charges are going to be dropped? Is he saving the NFL's sterling reputation with all the angels who are associated with the league?

I'm confused by your inference that there needs to be something to be gained. There doesn't. What has he really gained by half the punishments he's dished out over the last 10 years?

If forced to play along, I'd go with..........gaining the favor of 31 out of his 32 bosses, just like deflategate. He has nothing more to gain here than he did there.....except this time there is actual evidence beyond "more probable than not".

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
However, if they can’t make the charges stick, what is Goodell punishing Kraft for exactly?

It would be like suspending a player for PEDs and then finding out the test had been tampered with or administered wrong. Any suspension would be vacated.

Sounds EXACTLY like deflategate to me. Call me when Tom's suspension gets vacated.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I'm confused by your inference that there needs to be something to be gained. There doesn't. What has he really gained by half the punishments he's dished out over the last 10 years?

If forced to play along, I'd go with..........gaining the favor of 31 out of his 32 bosses, just like deflategate. He has nothing more to gain here than he did there.....except this time there is actual evidence beyond "more probable than not".

I'm just going to insert the post that @GloryDaze4877 posted above because I can't say it any better:

If the court was to find Kraft guilty, I am sure there would be some form of punishment.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I don't see any scenario where they simply pretend it didn't happen. They likely won't dock any future first round draft picks (maybe dock them one of the supplemental picks they are looking at in 2020), but there will be at least a fine and possible suspension.

There won't be any docking of picks, since it wasn't football related. I would guess something similar to Jim Irsay's punishment for his OWI (6 game suspension and $500,000 fine).

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The difference here is that the NFL concluded he was guilty. We may disagree with it but that is what it was.

This EXACT statement can apply to Kraft here. The NFL can conclude Kraft was guilty without a court concluding the same. Different standards of "proof" like criminal vs civil court.

Big Ben got suspended without ever being charged with a crime or seeing the inside of a courtroom, for "off the clock" behavior.

Last edited:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
The difference here is that the NFL concluded he was guilty. We may disagree with it but that is what it was.

Kraft not being convicted of anything does not warrant any punishment.

Exactly. The "deflated" ball debacle was 100% within the constructs of the National Football League and they played judge, jury and executioner because it's within their jurisdiction. The league will look like bozos imposing a penalty on an owner who is legally innocent in the eyes of the law which is outside of the boundaries of the NFL.

Now they certainly can impose whatever they want to Bob Kraft, but they'll look extremely vindictive doing it given the whole deflategate BS. Further, it will dredge up publicity for an issue that absolutely will die down which I would think the NFL wants nothing to do with at this point.

Which is why I posed the question "What do they have to gain by doing that?"

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
But its Goodell punishing the Patriots.

San Diego doctoring balls = 20k fine
Patriots doctoring balls = 1 mill, 4 games for Brady and a 1st

I hear what you guys are saying but even Roger Goodell is savvy enough to know when to leave sleeping dogs alone

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Goodell is judge, jury and executioner. Ezekiel Elliot was never arrested or charged with a crime.

Maybe with owners it's different? Do they count owners with conduct detrimental to the league?

Reactions: LSCII

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I know it's Goodell, but if they take away draft picks over a strip mall handy, I don't know what to say.

Reactions: dabid

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Goodell is judge, jury and executioner. Ezekiel Elliot was never arrested or charged with a crime.

Maybe with owners it's different? Do they count owners with conduct detrimental to the league?

Exactly. Roger has great latitude in doling out punishments for whatever the league deems as detrimental to the shield. Greg Hardy was not convicted yet was suspended. They can suspend Kraft for whatever they want regardless of conviction. He'll appeal and keep appealing because he wants to be at the banner raising, but once that happens, I'd expect he takes his suspension.

Irsay got pinched for 6 games a few years ago for DUI and it was under the personal conduct code.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Exactly. The "deflated" ball debacle was 100% within the constructs of the National Football League and they played judge, jury and executioner because it's within their jurisdiction. The league will look like bozos imposing a penalty on an owner who is legally innocent in the eyes of the law which is outside of the boundaries of the NFL.

Now they certainly can impose whatever they want to Bob Kraft, but they'll look extremely vindictive doing it given the whole deflategate BS. Further, it will dredge up publicity for an issue that absolutely will die down which I would think the NFL wants nothing to do with at this point.

Which is why I posed the question "What do they have to gain by doing that?"

You could have written this same stuff word for word during the Big Ben saga a few years back. Goodell still suspended him.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I agree. I'm referencing player activities in their private time.....not activities during a game.
Players private acivities that result in suspensions =/= an owners private acivities that result in draft pick fortification.

Kraft will get suspended, and that's fine. I don't care about that.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Players private acivities that result in suspensions =/= an owners private acivities that result in draft pick fortification.

Kraft will get suspended, and that's fine. I don't care about that.

So we agree. To be clear, I went out of my way to put draft pick as least likely behind fine and suspension, yet everyone seems to be reading it backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad