Speculation: Off-Season 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah dont think Weber will be a problem, at least not for several years, he's still making 6 million a season for several more. I think his last 3 or something he only makes 1 million and that's when you may need to worry but I think if nothing else we can trade for his rights and be fine.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
If anything, having him unable to perform sooner rather than later is better for us. If it in December he finds out he still can't play, or can never return, it's almost definitely to LTIR for him.

On the other hand if he makes it to the final year of his deal and then can't go, retiring and leaving that final $1M on the table wouldn't be that big of a deal. Still unlikely, but possible.

No matter what, I still don't think the NHL allows the Preds to be crippled by that recapture penalty. They will either get rid of it in the next CBA or make an exception for the Preds by restructuring the penalty so that it hurts but doesn't destroy the franchise.

Reactions: Enoch

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If anything, having him unable to perform sooner rather than later is better for us. If it in December he finds out he still can't play, or can never return, it's almost definitely to LTIR for him.

On the other hand if he makes it to the final year of his deal and then can't go, retiring and leaving that final $1M on the table wouldn't be that big of a deal. Still unlikely, but possible.

No matter what, I still don't think the NHL allows the Preds to be crippled by that recapture penalty. They will either get rid of it in the next CBA or make an exception for the Preds by restructuring the penalty so that it hurts but doesn't destroy the franchise.
It still wouldn't surprise me if the NHL doesn't use the reasoning that it was an offer sheet so our only option was to sign it or lose the player. We didn't negotiate the actual contract.

Reactions: Tex76

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I agree. Offer sheets should be exempt from a recapture penalty

The easiest out for the league (and the correct one)is to admit that the contract was in force before the new CBA created the recapture penalty and thus shouldnt be subject to it

I guarantee the Preds would pursue all legal options if an attempt was made to enforce it.

Reactions: Enoch and Gh24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The easiest out for the league (and the correct one)is to admit that the contract was in force before the new CBA created the recapture penalty and thus shouldnt be subject to it

I guarantee the Preds would pursue all legal options if an attempt was made to enforce it.
But you just know for sure that fans of other teams will all be incessantly :scared: about it anyway, especially if the Preds gain a little notoriety with a Cup win or two. And it'll be all "but but but you can't re-sign Josi/Ekholm/xxxx! Because Recapture!!!" :scared:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
But you just know for sure that fans of other teams will all be incessantly :scared: about it anyway, especially if the Preds gain a little notoriety with a Cup win or two. And it'll be all "but but but you can't re-sign Josi/Ekholm/xxxx! Because Recapture!!!" :scared:
Then how about we apply that unused cap hit to the cap space we didn't use for those first years? Philadelphia knew they were crippling Nashville with that contract, which is why it was structured like it was. They assumed we'd let Shea walk and the contract was built for their cap relief. Nashville did not need it then--but I daresay if we'd let Shea walk we might not be here now. Stepping up to the plate to sign him without any public whining from the PFO was important to show the league and players we weren't here to be a stepping stone organization. Other teams fans' opinions are not my concern; that said, league opinion is.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Could you imagine what the Flyers would look like right now having lost those first round picks and stuck with a crippled Weber? They'd probably have the same outlook for the next few seasons that Montreal has right now.

Well yeah but their point was getting Weber in 2012 would have given them a Cup window that would now be (theoretically) starting to close (or already closed) anyway

Reactions: Viqsi and Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
And of course, if he'd been playing for the Flyers he might not have had to put up the minutes he did here and might not be crippled. It's a lot of what ifs, but what happened is that Poile traded him at what seems now to have been the right time, insofar as his health is concerned.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
It would have been Weber

and the picks would have been:

2013: Samuel Morin D
2014: Travis Sanheim D
2015: Ivan Provorov D
2016: Logan Stanley D

Let's just say, the Preds would not have picked these players, Flyers might have had a better draft standing, etc. Fact is, as much as it hurt the choice was to match.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
It would have been Weber

and the picks would have been:

2013: Samuel Morin D
2014: Travis Sanheim D
2015: Ivan Provorov D
2016: Logan Stanley D

Let's just say, the Preds would not have picked these players, Flyers might have had a better draft standing, etc. Fact is, as much as it hurt the choice was to match.

If we had traded Weber we may have had some really nice picks due to our own poor performance as well. McDavid in gold??? :)

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Hamilton or Winnipeg would have really liked that.

Yep, certainly could have gone that way.

Speaking of which, one can only hope the franchise has finally established itself well enough to endure the inevitable dark years. I'd like to think so but not something we've really had to deal with so will be interesting to see when it does (probably) finally happen.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
you guys are killing me on this Saturday afternoon.
Just keepin' it real.
Those were dark days. I think the question of whether Nashville will continue to be a franchise going forward is pretty secure--we've proven ourselves as a market--but at that time there were still a lot of questions about that. I don't think I was the only person who wondered if we were just a bridge between AHL and NHL for training defensemen and goalies.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->