Off-Ice Training on Rollerblades?

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I've been playing now for about a year (on ice). I love it. I wish I could play every day, but its not possible. I usually skate and play about twice a week. I'm getting better all the time, but I want more!

So assuming that I can't get on the ice anymore than I am, is it a good idea to throw on some rollerblades and practice stick and puck control? I know the differences between ice and roller, and I'm not going to adopt the bad habit of roller-stopping (especially sinse I pretty much learned to skate on ice first). I just hear mixed opinions about roller training for ice and would like to get some opinions.

Will training for roller benefit my ice game? (training all aspects - speed, strength, puck/stick control, etc...)

Any suggestions, ideas, drills, exercises, and the lot are all welcome. Thanks in advance :yo:

Taz

Sep 18, 2004
Letchworth
If you are new, skating whilst handling a stick and puck can be useful, it helps general fitness and balance while working out the muscles used for Ice hockey. I wouldnt do it as much though as it might throw off your skating i dunno

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
I've read that rollerblading will somewhat affect your skating stride, but doing that versus not skating at all, you're way ahead with rollerblading. Anything you can do like that, anything that gives you a good cardio workout, is to your advantage. Riding a bike is also a good offseason activity, low impact, good cardio.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I face the same Dilemma. And i have a roller rink in the park 1 block down from my house. So i get out there a bit. I get to play on ice once a week if im lucky, rarely twice. I simply cant always afford to do the skate and shoots.

Roller Skating feels awkward after being on ice I find.

I've also read some of Peter Twists complete conditioning for Ice hockey and he says that Roller Skating is a good workout but it shouldn't be done too often as it indeed can mess with the proper ice skating form.

Though the books intended for rather intense conditioning, and assumes you're a fairly experienced skater.

got any lakes or ponds near you that should be freezing over? =p

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I face the same Dilemma. And i have a roller rink in the park 1 block down from my house. So i get out there a bit. I get to play on ice once a week if im lucky, rarely twice. I simply cant always afford to do the skate and shoots.

Roller Skating feels awkward after being on ice I find.

I've also read some of Peter Twists complete conditioning for Ice hockey and he says that Roller Skating is a good workout but it shouldn't be done too often as it indeed can mess with the proper ice skating form.

Though the books intended for rather intense conditioning, and assumes you're a fairly experienced skater.

got any lakes or ponds near you that should be freezing over? =p

Hahah, there are no lakes or ponds freezing here in San Jose! (although it did get down to freezing last week one night).

I think I'm more about learning the muscle memory of puck handling while moving. I mean, I've done it a bunch on ice but just to keep it fresh I'd want to do it everyday. Obviously its not going to be the same on roller, but I figure it should help out some how, I mean why woudln't it? Pleanty of people come from roller hockey and although they're new on ice, they seem to move the puck pretty well.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Im not sure if it could hurt your on ice stick handling but i come from 13+ years of roller hockey and when I stepped on ice it was horrible!

Stick handling is coming back to me but you have to consider, the puck moves faster on ice, its heavier and its a different size than your traditional roller hockey puck. (not that it cant improve, its just an adjustment you'll need to be aware of once you step back on ice)

All around if you can play any games or at least competitive play of any kind in roller hockey, it should improve your ice game somehow, no matter what it is. I find it helped me most mentally as i keep playing. I get more patient with the puck, i learn better ways to find the open man, etc etc. These things all carry over.

If you're specifically talking about stick handling though, try moving the puck as far to your left and right. And one thing I've always been recommended and done myself is to practice in my house stick handling a golf ball. Again as far left and right, to my full reach in every direction (even back but thats a personal thing, i don't promote blind passes or reaching w/o looking in any way hahah).

If you can stick handle a golf ball for a little while every day, you will definitely see results. Building up wrist/forearm strength helps a ton too. I've seen people put a weight under their stick blade and stick handle it to their full reach. Tennis ball drops help wrist strength I hear. Plenty of off ice off skates exercises you can do :P

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Any kind of training that works your knees is fine, it doesn't necessarily be roller blading, but I agree roller blading or not, you're obviously gonna get a workout roller blading. Learn Hindu squats, and try what my friend calls "toilet seats" (lean up against a wall, and position your body like you're sitting in a chair, but hold yourself against the wall). Any kind of combat training can actually help, cause all they do in the military is work the legs to keep going. There are tons of sites that you can find, also, I know there are some books online that you can look into...

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
And one thing I've always been recommended and done myself is to practice in my house stick handling a golf ball.

I have heard nothing but good things about this, even though I have yet to try it. I heard the best, like mentioned above, is to move fully lateral, left and right, but try to make it so you can catch the ball without it making barely any noise by contacting with your stick, helps a lot with learning how to receive a pass.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I have heard nothing but good things about this, even though I have yet to try it. I heard the best, like mentioned above, is to move fully lateral, left and right, but try to make it so you can catch the ball without it making barely any noise by contacting with your stick, helps a lot with learning how to receive a pass.

why a golf ball though?

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
The golf ball waterbugs at the slightest bit of force. You develop that so-called 'soft touch'.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Roller blading does mess with your ice form, so I wouldn't do it too religiously. I used to try it during the off time from my practices, and it felt weird after ice skating, and then when I went to ice skat, that felt strange too! And if you do use it, keep it super high tempo, as you will spend the least amount of time doing it and expand your cardio abilities the most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad