Off-ice conditioning

hella rights

Oct 9, 2006
I've just started getting back into skating after about a 10 year hiatus and want to start playing pickup games. I've been going to as many public skates as I can, hoping to start doing some stick time on the weekends. Since my skills are quite diminished, I decided to focus on getting my skating up to snuff first before incorporating stick skills. I was wondering if anyone has some advice for getting my leg stamina back into shape outside the rink? Looks like there are a lot of pricey skating trainers on the market, are they that much more effective than working out at the gym or at home?

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Look up the series for Matt Furey's combat conditioning. My coach last year taught us some things and they work great. Do google searches too, you can find a lot of simple stuff by searching "off ice hockey exercises" or along those lines.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Squats are the most important. You need strong legs to get an explosive push off. If you have the time, do squats and the leg press like twice a week. Obviously you're going to want to give yourself at least about 48 hours off between working out the legs again.

Also try running a lot. I've heard of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). This is probably much better way of running than straight up running since it's more like when you play sports. Also from what I understand doing this doesn't tone down your muscles like regular running would.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/justin6.htm
I'm going to start trying this very soon, because I want to try to get my footspeed up a bit.

Here's the info:
What if I told you that you could burn more fat by doing less cardio? Well, with High Intensity Interval Training (also known as HIIT) you can do just that, burn more fat while spending less time in the gym. In this article I will explain how to get the best results from this new and cutting-edge type of cardiovascular training.

You have probably been told, just like the rest of us, that in order to burn the greatest amount of fat you need to do cardio for 20 to 60 minutes at a moderate intensity. This will indeed melt the fat away, but HIIT is a more efficient and athlete-friendly way to train and burn fat at the same time.

With HIIT, you will be working harder than you normally work but for about a quarter to a half of the time that you would normally spend on the cardio machine of your choice. HIIT is so intense and effective that you only need 15 to 20 minutes, tops!

Here's What You Do:

* Pick the cardio machine of your choice (treadmill, elliptical, rower, bike, swimming) and perform a 5 minute warm-up.

* Then take time to stretch properly and you are ready to begin.

* Start at a moderate pace for 1 minute, then crank up the pace to 90 or 95% of your Maximum Heart Rate (MHR).

* Continue at this effort for 15 to 20 seconds, then slow down to your starting pace for another minute followed by another all-out sprint for 15 to 20 seconds.

* Do this for no more than 15 minutes.

* After that finish your workout by cooling down for 5 minutes and thoroughly stretch afterwards.

If you perform this right I guarantee that you will be totally exhausted after 20 minutes of this.

A study at Laval University in Quebec, Canada found that HIIT cardio helped trainees loose nine (yes, 9!) times more fat than those who trained the traditional way (moderate speed for 20-60 minutes). Combine HIIT with your weight program and you boost your metabolism through the roof!

The Reason HIIT Is So Successful Is This:

1. When you work at a high intensity, you burn more total calories per pound of body weight.
2. High Intensity workouts such as weight training and HIIT boost growth hormone levels.
3. Elevates the body's metabolism throughout the entire day!

What does this mean for you? The more calories that you burn in a day, the more weight you are able to lose. Even if weight loss is not your goal, HIIT is for you. Athletes will see better gains from doing HIIT cardio as opposed to traditional cardio.

Unless you are training for a marathon, you do not keep a constant pace during your sport. All sports whether it be soccer or football, even baseball or basketball have a point where you need to change gears and hit a full sprint.

HIIT will not only help your cardiovascular system, but will train the anaerobic ATP/CP system as well. Not only will you increase your cardiovascular endurance, but improve your raw speed and explosiveness as well!

Hope this helps.

hella rights

Oct 9, 2006
I've just started doing something similar recently. I run for about 2 minutes at a medium pace then 1 minute at close to a sprint then back down, alternating til I just about fall over. I hate it. I hate it so much.

I'm gonna try to do more squats/leg exercises. Probably do one day of squats with heavy weight then another day doing just body weight stuff. Thanks for the advice.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I've just started doing something similar recently. I run for about 2 minutes at a medium pace then 1 minute at close to a sprint then back down, alternating til I just about fall over. I hate it. I hate it so much.

I'm gonna try to do more squats/leg exercises. Probably do one day of squats with heavy weight then another day doing just body weight stuff. Thanks for the advice.

besides the fact that you want to kill yourself afterwards, how are the results?

hella rights

Oct 9, 2006
can't really give a defnite answer yet, but my endurance seems to improve significantly each time, which is surprising for me since I seem to have more trouble advancing with cardio stuff than most people I know. Like I said, it sucks, but it's working well for me so far.

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
HIIT is extremely usefully for hockey players. I do it on a 'cut' cycle for the spring to lose extra fat (Don't really play hockey anymore). But you will notice, from the HIIT, you will get faster (sprint speed) and your endurance for your shifts will go up. But long term endurance won't improve dramatically (Which doesn't matter for the most part, since your not constantly on the ice). It may just be me, but my revoery improved greatly from HIIT. I could run, rest, run, rest, and over time be able to keep up pace in my runs after rests. HIIT also targets fat loss, with minimal muscle loss, which is always good.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
As you build your leg strength make sure you also target your adductors and abductor muscles -- they're the ones that help you move laterally and will be helpful in shifting your balance from one foot to the other. Here are a few exercises which should prove helpful:

1. Squat with lateral sway
Stand with your feet pointed out straight, about 1.5 x shoulder width apart. Now bend as though you're about to sit in a chair --
  • keep your torso vertical
  • weight over your heels
  • knees wide apart
If you feel your pressure on your knees try tucking your tail bone under -- you want your quads and hamstrings to be bearing most of your body weight. Now with your left leg push yourself so all your weight is over your right. Next, push yourself to the left. Repeat. As you sway from side to side try to keep your shoulders and hips parallel to the floor. The slower you go as you pass through the center the more you will build those muscles in your inner thighs. This should improve your balance and improve your range of motion as you skate.

2. Lateral leaps
Stand with your feet apart. Leap to the left and land on one foot. Now leap to the right and land on the other foot. Repeat. With each leap try to bend your knee and use more of your leg muscles. Vertical leaps are good, too.

Squats and their variations will improve your balance. Leaps, especially from a squatting stance, will give you explosive power as you push off with your legs. Just make sure your heels are flat on the ground as you push off -- you want to engage your muscles and minimize the exertion on your knee joints.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
For stickhandling

As far as stick-handling goes, I've found improving your arm strength can have a profound effect on your skills. Coordination (gained through practice) is important but so is having enough strength to pull off the moves you intend to do, and you'll need to target specific muscles. Try this. Grab a hockey stick -- wood, in this case, is preferable for its weight. Grab the stick with your top hand at the butt and extend it as far as you can in front of you, arm and stick parallel to the ground. Hold it there for a count of 10. Do the same with your arm extended to your side, then across your body. Now do the same with your "off" hand.

When you start to practice your stick handling -- I use a Quick Hands ball and an old wood stick -- take note of which muscles fatigue quickest and find exercises to strengthen them.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
Anybody else in favor of making this (or a thread about off-ice conditioning) a sticky?

Alot of posters have some great links/tips and i think it would a be helpful resource to always have that info available

Any Mods feel like makin a sticky?

BRONX_MADNESS*

get on the bike fam, interval training like the dude before me said, gets you ready, but nothing replaces just plain old skating, if you're out of shape but focuse on stride length and power from your edges.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
Hmm...any tips for doing this HIIT training without a treadmill/gym? I like the sound of it - sounds just what i need (my endurance feels terrible) - but my wallet sure doesn't - playing hockey alone is drinking up my extra cash.

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
Hmm...any tips for doing this HIIT training without a treadmill/gym? I like the sound of it - sounds just what i need (my endurance feels terrible) - but my wallet sure doesn't - playing hockey alone is drinking up my extra cash.

just run outside...you dont need a tredmill, in fact i think tredmills can be counter productive. it seems like you get a better workout running out doors or on an indoor track

RangerSteve

My old coach had us do sprints and it kinda of simulated as if it were a hockey shift. This is what we use to do...

Sprint for 45 seconds, walk for 90 seconds.
Sprint for 30 seconds, walk for 60 seconds.
Sprint for 15 seconds, walk for 30 seconds.

We did this on the track or around the arena. The walking is key since it allows you to cool down.

Repeat the cycle. It sounds a bit steep to constantly be sprinting and pushing yourself, but I can certainly say it built up my stamina and boosted my conditioning.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I've been doing HIIT for a week now but I sprint for 40 seconds instead of 20.
It just kills your legs. I actually just did it this morning. Walking stairs is a workout in itself right now.
It's great though because it only takes about 20 mins so I have time to get a very good workout in between classes.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Squats are the most important. You need strong legs to get an explosive push off. If you have the time, do squats and the leg press like twice a week. Obviously you're going to want to give yourself at least about 48 hours off between working out the legs again.

Also try running a lot. I've heard of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). This is probably much better way of running than straight up running since it's more like when you play sports. Also from what I understand doing this doesn't tone down your muscles like regular running would.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/justin6.htm
I'm going to start trying this very soon, because I want to try to get my footspeed up a bit.

Here's the info:

Hope this helps.

I started doing this recently, instead of running for a few miles at a steady pace and this is 100x better. Its nowhere near as boring, I don't get as tired(because of the cool downs), but I still feel myself getting a great run in and im soaked by the time i'm done.

I'd recommend this.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I don't think I can sprint full out for 40 seconds, so I'll start with the 20 once this damn snow melts, lol.

You definetly have to build up to it. I started right after the season ended so I was still in shape. It's also good to do on a bike or eliptical. When I'm doing the sprints, I crank the resistance up and then put it back down to almost nothing when I'm recovering.
It takes a lot more mental dicipline then anything, IMO. After the 4th or 5th sprint I have to pretty much pump myself up in my head during the cool downs to keep going all out in the sprints.

chance

Embrace the Hate
Oct 9, 2006
So with HIIT, do you walk or jog for a minute, then sprint for 15-20 seconds?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad