OFF DAY THREAD! Postponement extraordinaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Long term extension imminent.......

In a sheltered role being used properly.

If he had Letangs assignment he would most likely be obliterated.

Or not..... I don't even want to find out and be in a position to where we need to see cc on first pair.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
In a sheltered role being used properly.

If he had Letangs assignment he would most likely be obliterated.

Or not..... I don't even want to find out and be in a position to where we need to see cc on first pair.

I wouldn’t say completely sheltered since our D has been decimated by injury.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Eh Ceci is basically getting the same usage as what Maatta got here, but he's riding a 0.5 PPG with also good offensive analytics too.

Ceci has been legitimately good for the Penguins this year. I'd rather not extend him to learn if this is his new normal, but if it is his new normal, he'll be a really good #5D like Cole for someone.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Eh Ceci is basically getting the same usage as what Maatta got here, but he's riding a 0.5 PPG with also good offensive analytics too.

Ceci has been legitimately good for the Penguins this year. I'd rather not extend him to learn if this is his new normal, but if it is his new normal, he'll be a really good #5D like Cole for someone.

Wasn't the main problem with Ceci usage? Like, both Ottawa and Toronto played him as a top pairing d-man and he was not able to handle it?

Ottawa2171

Jan 8, 2020
Ceci has been strong around the O-zone blueline and does a great job at getting pucks to the net. It's nice to watch.

Reactions: ColePens

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Ceci has been put into a position to succeed and he has. He is still a big oops waiting to happen but overall he’s done his job in a Ben Lovejoy sorta way.

Im not holding my breath that he will sustain it but i cant complain right now.

Reactions: The Old Master

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ceci has been put into a position to succeed and he has. He is still a big oops waiting to happen but overall he’s done his job in a Ben Lovejoy sorta way.

Im not holding my breath that he will sustain it but i cant complain right now.
Ben Lovejoy is a really good example here. It's working.. I won't ask questions type thing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wasn't the main problem with Ceci usage? Like, both Ottawa and Toronto played him as a top pairing d-man and he was not able to handle it?

I think Ceci's a flawed player that gets exposed when you use him too heavily. I think usage was probably his biggest problem, but that doesn't mean he was fine and dandy outside of that usage :laugh:

I think Toronto started to get the right idea with how to use him last year, where they used him as a pure defensive guy with a great puck moving D partner. The Penguins took that another step, where they're using him as a defensive guy on a bottom pair role. I think now that Ceci is finally being used appropriately, he can show what he's capable of doing.

I'd rather not re-sign him right now, but I certainly wouldn't complain if they did after he kept playing like this. He's a guy I'd entertain keeping if Matheson-Marino clicks and they trade Dumoulin for futures, run with:

Pettersson-Letang
Matheson/POJ-Marino
POJ/Matheson-Ceci

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ottawa2171

Jan 8, 2020
I think Ceci's a flawed player that gets exposed when you use him too heavily. I think usage was probably his biggest problem, but that doesn't mean he was fine and dandy outside of that usage :laugh:

I think Toronto started to get the right idea with how to use him last year, where they used him as a pure defensive guy with a great puck moving D partner. The Penguins took that another step, where they're using him as a defensive guy on a bottom pair role. I think now that Ceci is finally being used appropriately, he can show what he's capable of doing.

I'd rather not re-sign him right now, but I certainly wouldn't complain if they did after he kept playing like this. He's a guy I'd entertain keeping if Matheson-Marino clicks and they trade Dumoulin for futures, run with:

Pettersson-Letang
Matheson/POJ-Marino
POJ/Matheson-Ceci

Who do you feel has more value, Dumo or Petts? I believe that is the one that you try to move. For me, I'd rather keep Dumo even with his recent injury history. Dumo during the cup runs was as solid as they come. With their near identical cap hits, I really believe it is an either or scenario.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I just visualize like some Star Wars galaxy where they are hovering over the ice saying "Oh you better not fumble a puck... OR YOU WILL BE TRADED."

Next minute

giphy.gif

Reactions: ColePens

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Pettersson-Letang
Matheson/POJ-Marino
POJ/Matheson-Ceci

Well, yeah! I mean, it kind of is obvious. If a player requires to be sheltered, he is flawed. I do not think Cody Ceci is a world beater by any stretch of the imagination and I still would not have signed him. However, now that we have him, I can say that I am satisfied with both his usage and his performance.

I also think that most players can be good if used properly. Like, JJ would have been okay if he played exclusively on the PK... but you cannot waste a roster spot on a player like that :laugh:

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Who do you feel has more value, Dumo or Petts? I believe that is the one that you try to move. For me, I'd rather keep Dumo even with his recent injury history. Dumo during the cup runs was as solid as they come. With their near identical cap hits, I really believe it is an either or scenario.

Dumoulin definitely. I would much rather keep Pettersson due to his age and Dumoulin is a 2x cup winner as a top pair D.

Dumoulin's like 5 years older or so and I imagine you get a much better return for him than Pettersson due to that cup experience.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Dumoulin definitely. I would much rather keep Pettersson due to his age and Dumoulin is a 2x cup winner as a top pair D.

Dumoulin's like 5 years older or so and I imagine you get a much better return for him than Pettersson due to that cup experience.

It really depends what you want to do. In a vacuum, I'd prefer to keep Pettersson too. If I want to win a Cup this year or next, I keep Dumoulin. As we know, management seems to be all-in for one last run with the current core.

If that's really the case, then, you move Pettersson and try to get a LW to play with Geno. Zucker can then slide down to L3 or be traded for a better fit in the bottom 6 or something.

That would give us a defense of:

POJ - Letang
Matheson - Marino
Dumoulin - Ceci

Dumo can move up when needed. He'd get more minutes than POJ for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad