OFF DAY THREAD! Postponement extraordinaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The penguins still have yet to play the sabres and devils. If they can pick up some consistency over the next two weeks they could be in a firm position by the end of march.

The devils PK is laughably bad. It could be a remedy for the lack of confidence in our pp. Even if the pp is already looking better.

Also if Matheson, POJ and Marino keep up their play that will help bring a steadiness to the defense. This could be the best defense in a long time and I think the team should play off its strengths there.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
How is moving on from a player in professional sports a stab in the back?

Geno is on his last legs of his game and tail end of a big contract he will be lucky to get half of that value in just about one years time.

He's paid that money for a reason... and even if he can't put up the big numbers... at least be better defensively and make better decisions with the puck.

I'd expect sid to be very protective of geno.... so I really can't see him being moved and sid being happy. I think the best outcome is keeping geno til the contract is up.... seeing what he wants to come back, which I don't think he will, because he will only get 3-5 mil... 5 being way expensive for an expiring star who's already had his pay (hay) day.

I wrote half of this and left and came back and wrote more so it may sound uneven...

If this was video game world I'd trade malkin now... even though I've personally wanted to trade him (if the return was worth it and then some +) for some time now... just knowing how attached sid and him are leads me to believe it would blow everything up moving him.... which you can completely avoid by just waiting one more year. I donno.
It seems like the whole team has come down with a case of the behind-the-back-no-look-backhand-drop-pass, and it is not working.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Then don't read it.lol

I have no issue with Geno being lambasted and Ridiculed. And again he's my 2hd all time favorite player. When he's on his game I don't think there's anyone better since Mario retired (maybe McDavid) but even then I don't know. He's so far below what he's capable of, even now. He's embarrassing himself, the team, the city and doing significant harm to his legacy. You need to accept that.
embarrassing the city.....harming hiss legacy....we are done here

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Now that you mention it, there was an unnamed player on the Penguins who got COVID and they never said who it was.

You may be onto something with that.

Well, well, well. That’s interesting.

Trying to find the damn site that had listed players who had illness and injuries. Of course when I need it... I can't find it.

Trying to remember from when I last read it, I remember geno being out due to illness in december 2019.

Not that it proves anything... but its the last time he was out officially with the team for illness.

I’d say it’s unlikely that was COVID.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
...and there is a hit piece in Tribune on Malkin by Madden, he tried a few times in the past whenever Geno slumped for a few games but this time all of the vultures sensing blood and going after Geno...the worst kind of cowardly hit piece,
I despise Madden, and against my better instincts I read the article. It wasn't the hit piece I was expecting. Most of MM's points were valid, although I don't understand why he's so concerned about Malkin's next contract which is a season and a half away from resolution?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, I think there’s an obvious possibility here for Malkin and a number of players across the league. He got COVID at some point and hasn’t recovered completely, they’re just not coming out and talking about it. The other option is it all messed with training or motivation for some and they’re having to play themselves into shape now or just can’t get to it because age is making it harder and they’re still having to deal with COVID protocols.

Jarry: history of bad practice and pro habits, could have gotten complacent
Malkin: admitted when the Kessel situation was bad it killed his motivation all around. The COVID situation sucks and can cause other issues that suck
Letang: stroke history and I think he still has the hole in his heart, who knows if he was so cautious he couldn’t do things the way he normally would

And, no, that’s not me calling Malkin lazy before anyone gets their hackles up. It’s me pointing out that there’s a fairly recent example of things getting to him and effecting him mentally. It happens.

Yeah, this is sort of the scenario I was getting at a few weeks back when we were talking about COVID around the league. I've got a few co-workers who've gotten over the 'Rona and to a man/woman, they all agree that, while they feel fine at rest (some were even pretty asymptomatic), exercising just craters them. I wouldn't necessarily rule that out.

I really don't believe the league has been at all open (not that they should be, that'd be illegal ) with all the players who contracted it, especially if they got it during the off-season and were cleared before camp. They have no obligation to disclose it, and it's up to the players to declare it. And it's quite possible for some they didn't even know they got it.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I despise Madden, and against my better instincts I read the article. It wasn't the hit piece I was expecting. Most of MM's points were valid, although I don't understand why he's so concerned about Malkin's next contract which is a season and a half away from resolution?
Because he's his favorite player on the Pens. I haven't listened to Madden in like 2 years (zero regret), but even back then he would always give Malkin more credit than he deserved on any given night. Or he'd give him a free pass when he was bad.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, this is sort of the scenario I was getting at a few weeks back when we were talking about COVID around the league. I've got a few co-workers who've gotten over the 'Rona and to a man/woman, they all agree that, while they feel fine at rest (some were even pretty asymptomatic), exercising just craters them. I wouldn't necessarily rule that out.

I really don't believe the league has been at all open (not that they should be, that'd be illegal ) with all the players who contracted it, especially if they got it during the off-season and were cleared before camp. They have no obligation to disclose it, and it's up to the players to declare it. And it's quite possible for some they didn't even know they got it.

Was it? Did I agree? There has to be some, it’s more a question of how long they’ll be dealing with this and how bad it is. Some might be fine now in regard to COVID but feeling not being able to train normally as well. The way Ristolainen talked about it made it sound like even if everything were fine tomorrow his fitness would be trashed and it’s been hard on him physically and mentally. I’m surprised he even talked about it publicly, tbh. I expect a lot of players to talk about it after the fact in but not any time soon.

I don’t either, and then you’re counting on players being honest and players even getting tested during the months when nothing was happening. There’s no way we know everyone who had it and I doubt the league knows for certain. Iirc even some symptom free people ended up with heart and lung damage so players could have gone from oblivious to dealing with the effects after.

Any player with a surprise decline should probably get a “could be covid related” addendum to any discussion.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Was it? Did I agree? There has to be some, it’s more a question of how long they’ll be dealing with this and how bad it is. Some might be fine now in regard to COVID but feeling not being able to train normally as well. The way Ristolainen talked about it made it sound like even if everything were fine tomorrow his fitness would be trashed and it’s been hard on him physically and mentally. I’m surprised he even talked about it publicly, tbh. I expect a lot of players to talk about it after the fact in but not any time soon.

I don’t either, and then you’re counting on players being honest and players even getting tested during the months when nothing was happening. There’s no way we know everyone who had it and I doubt the league knows for certain. Iirc even some symptom free people ended up with heart and lung damage so players could have gone from oblivious to dealing with the effects after.

Any player with a surprise decline should probably get a “could be covid related” addendum to any discussion.

Oh, I don't think we agreed or disagreed, SM. It wasn't an argument. :laugh: We just talked about it.

And I certainly agree with all of this.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Because he's his favorite player on the Pens. I haven't listened to Madden in like 2 years (zero regret), but even back then he would always give Malkin more credit than he deserved on any given night. Or he'd give him a free pass when he was bad.

it’s his favorite player that he keeps trying to trade, retire or otherwise move off the club? Strange way to show it...

Reactions: vodeni and KIRK

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Which is why you don't move him. Plus, I mean does anyone realistically think Malkin is going to stay this bad for the remainder of his career?

Are you suggesting he's going to get better as he gets older? Unless he's battling an unspoken injury/illness, I'd say it's more likely he'll get worse, with the occasional spark of the old Geno. Why would he be any different than every other player who plays into his 30's and sees a decline in his play?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Which is why you don't move him. Plus, I mean does anyone realistically think Malkin is going to stay this bad for the remainder of his career?
A lot the wankers here act like last season didn’t happen and they also forget that he had surgery this off season and hasn’t found his footing properly yet. Sid also had a minor wrist surgery while Geno’s was his elbow.

The bloke has 10pts in 13 games while being “not great” this season...

Some :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: here don’t have the depth to let that sink in.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
A lot the wankers here act like last season didn’t happen and they also forget that he had surgery this off season and hasn’t found his footing properly yet. Sid also had a minor wrist surgery while Geno’s was his elbow.

The bloke has 10pts in 13 games while being “not great” this season...

Some :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: here don’t have the depth to let that sink in.
Frankly, I'm hesitant to put a whole lot of judgement on any one player this season, especially those coming off any sort of surgery or major injury.

Crosby, Malkin, Dumoulin, Guentzel - all had major injuries/surgery. Crosby's notoriously takes time to come back from. Malkin's elbow has been a problem for years. Guentzel had significant shoulder injury and returned during the shutdown. Dumoulin barely had time to get back on the ice.

These guys are creatures of habit and ice had to be a challenge to consistently get during the pandemic. Yeah, they're in shape, but being physically fit and in peak hockey shape is a different animal. I think you're seeing that with their timing.

This is such a bizarre season and set of circumstances that I wouldn't write anyone off. You still have to try to make some moves to win, but thinking Geno is done? Come on.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Frankly, I'm hesitant to put a whole lot of judgement on any one player this season, especially those coming off any sort of surgery or major injury.

Crosby, Malkin, Dumoulin, Guentzel - all had major injuries/surgery. Crosby's notoriously takes time to come back from. Malkin's elbow has been a problem for years. Guentzel had significant shoulder injury and returned during the shutdown. Dumoulin barely had time to get back on the ice.

These guys are creatures of habit and ice had to be a challenge to consistently get during the pandemic. Yeah, they're in shape, but being physically fit and in peak hockey shape is a different animal. I think you're seeing that with their timing.

This is such a bizarre season and set of circumstances that I wouldn't write anyone off. You still have to try to make some moves to win, but thinking Geno is done? Come on.
Dumoulin to me doesn’t get that benefit. He was ass to start the season and continued that trend the whole season even before the stoppage. After the stoppage when he had more time to get in shape, he still showed up and played like ass and has started this season the same way.

It’s been a year, a whole year.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Much like Geno and his legacy.

Malkin has been treated this way every time he is just average. Crosby never is. A few obsessed quacks on this board don't count. You see the criticism of Malkin everywhere in the media, on social media, on message boards, even boos at the games. Yinz lambaste Malkin all the time and it's pathetic. The only reason he has a semblance of a relationship with the weird Rossi is that Rossi made an attempt to get to know him, basically the only one among the media who has. Everyone else fawns over Sid. Malkin has done too much and sacrificed too much during his time here to be lambasted and ridiculed in the manner you describe. It's ok to criticize when warranted but the comments about Malkin have always been deeply personal and hysterical. Past accomplishment shouldn't earn additional contracts, but it should earn respect.

I have no interest in getting into a Sid vs Malkin shitshow. There's too much obvious respect between both to go there. It would just be nice for the fanbase to treat Malkin with more appreciation. It's almost like they want him to be Jagr. It's a complex.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Malkin has been treated this way every time he is just average. Crosby never is. A few obsessed quacks on this board don't count. You see the criticism of Malkin everywhere in the media, on social media, on message boards, even boos at the games. Yinz lambaste Malkin all the time and it's pathetic. The only reason he has a semblance of a relationship with the weird Rossi is that Rossi made an attempt to get to know him, basically the only one among the media who has. Everyone else fawns over Sid. Malkin has done too much and sacrificed too much during his time here to be lambasted and ridiculed in the manner you describe. It's ok to criticize when warranted but the comments about Malkin have always been deeply personal and hysterical. Past accomplishment shouldn't earn additional contracts, but it should earn respect.

I have no interest in getting into a Sid vs Malkin shitshow. There's too much obvious respect between both to go there. It would just be nice for the fanbase to treat Malkin with more appreciation. It's almost like they want him to be Jagr. It's a complex.
For Context I much prefer Geno to Sid. Both are all time greats but if Geno soils the bed I'll call him on it. Sid as well.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
For Context I much prefer Geno to Sid. Both are all time greats but if Geno soils the bed I'll call him on it. Sid as well.

There's nothing wrong with criticism. Lambasting and ridiculing is not deserved, and even while not playing up to his standard he hasn't been as terrible as people describe. It's always the same. He starts slow or has some bad games and they want to trade him, call him a lazy Russian, say he hasn't earned deference like Sid (he isn't top 5, but for madden to say he MAY be top 50? Malkin will end his career top 25 and it isn't close). He's not harming his legacy. He's not embarrassing the city. Those are obscene comments. He has 10 points in 16 games and will be ok. He's 34. Some people need to realize that means he isn't the player he was. But he's still elite and doesn't deserve the insanity every year. He's faced trade rumors every year since 2008. Media/fan ridicule every year since 2008. That's the stain on his legacy.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
BOS seems like the class of the division thus far... after that what team can you say is definitively better than the Pens?

3-1 vs WSH
3-1 vs NYR
3-1 vs NYI

0-1-1 vs BOS
0-2-0 vs PHI

Those BOS games are kind of misleading considering how short-handed the Pens defence was.
Looking forward to the 2 games against PHI on March 2/4

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
BOS seems like the class of the division thus far... after that what team can you say is definitively better than the Pens?

3-1 vs WSH
3-1 vs NYR
3-1 vs NYI

0-1-1 vs BOS
0-2-0 vs PHI

Those BOS games are kind of misleading considering how short-handed the Pens defence was.

Boston is clearly better than us, but that's nothing to sneeze at.

I agree with you that Philly again will be an interesting measuring stick.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

3-1 vs WSH
3-1 vs NYR
3-1 vs NYI

0-1-1 vs BOS
0-2-0 vs PHI

Mate, we’re short handed with that walnut behind the bench no matter how many players we lose or have back.

Reactions: The Old Master

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

3-1 vs WSH
3-1 vs NYR
3-1 vs NYI

0-1-1 vs BOS
0-2-0 vs PHI

No team as many of us predicted and we should’ve won one of the Bruins games

This is also with Malkin looking like shit and our D running it’s 12th damn already this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->