Of these 2005 2nd Rnd Picks Who will be a prime time Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs 67 and Waiting

Jul 15, 2005
USA
31 Brenden Milkelson Anahiem
32 Tyler Plante Florida
33 James Neal Dallas
34 Ryan Stoa Colorado
43 Michael Blunden Chicago
44 Paul Statsney Colorado
45 Guillaume Latendresse Montreal
46 Dustin Kohn New York Islanders
47 Tom Fritche Colorado
54 Dan Bertram Chicago

I like Stoa, Latendresse, Neal, Bertram and Stastney.

Default101

31 Brenden Milkelson Anahiem
34 Ryan Stoa Colorado
43 Michael Blunden Chicago
44 Paul Statsny Colorado
45 Guillaume Latendresse Montreal
47 Tom Fritche Colorado
54 Dan Bertram Chicago

i think all of those have the potential to become big time players, only about 3 of them will turn out that way i think, Mikkelson has been greatoffensively, heard great things about Stoa and Stastny, Letandresse was once considered a top 10, so he could regain that kind of publicity, Blunden more of a power forward kinda impact as well, Fritsche could be a great playmaker in the sence of a Steve Reinprecht, and i heard Bertram was supposed to be pretty good, and on a team like Chicago could really step up.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
IMO, Stoa projects as a better pro than a college player. Great size, good skater, and excellent offensive instincts.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The knock I heard on Latrendesse coming into the draft was his skating - I remember reading a comment by one scout that the kid was the worst skater the scout had ever seen. If his skating is that bad (if it's below average), that will hinder his success in the NHL more than anything else. You can make up for not being able to pass by being able to shoot; you can make up for not being good offensively by being good defensively. But if your skating is poor, there's litttle you can do to make up for it.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I know few people care about Plante, and his development will be a long process but he could really suprise. Alot of talent, and whilst he has flaws such as rebound control and is easily wound up those things can be worked upon. He is playing for a god awful Brandon team and is their best player every night virtually. Of course he will need a couple of years in the AHL atleast, but he is pretty underated.

As for Latrendesse, the guy has had alot of hype since the draft. He fell alot, and nearly made habs for training camp so i guess that indicates he will be a "prime time" player. Interesting to hear a scout said his skating was that bad, i doubt thats true though. Would explain where he got drafted though.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
He's not on your list (probably because he is a goalie) and I know the question is about those on your list.

However, I had to comment and say IMO Ondrej Pavelic taken #41 in the 2'nd round could have a very bright future. As a rookie in the Q, he leads all (all not just rookies) starting goalies with both a .929 save% and 2.45 GAA.

Jumbo*

Where is Micheal Sauer? I watch this kid a few times a week (season ticket holder) and hes about as solid as they come. Never makes a mistake on the blueline and has been the Hawks best defensmen all season. Im shocked he wasn't picked in the first round because hes a top defensemen in the WHL already.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
eh, injury concerns with sauer made him drop

but i kinda feel like the rangers got two first around picks with him and staal :)

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
naihlflames said:
He's not on your list (probably because he is a goalie) and I know the question is about those on your list.

However, I had to comment and say IMO Ondrej Pavelic taken #41 in the 2'nd round could have a very bright future. As a rookie in the Q, he leads all (all not just rookies) starting goalies with both a .929 save% and 2.45 GAA.

BINGO! I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Pavelec was the best pick of the 2nd round, and a whole lot better than a lot of guys taken in the 1st round. IMHO he is the best goalie from the 2005 draft class.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
J17ster said:
Interesting to hear a scout said his skating was that bad, i doubt thats true though.

He was pretty injury prone the year before his draft and a little his draft year. If the scout watched him when he was playing injured it would explain alot.

He put up middle of the road numbers during the skating events for the skill testing so I'm guessing the above is a good quote that get's over used.

CoolburnIsGone

Didn't Latendresse impress a lot of folks in the preseason and there was an outside possibility that he might crack the Habs lineup. I think he's the best and worst bet to be a prime time player. But I'd take that bet and say he's gonna be the best of the bunch. After him, I'd take Stoa and couldn't figure out why he dropped so far (13th rated NA player).

stmikes76

Nov 25, 2004
With all due respect to Pavelic, if he posted such good numbers why was he not choosen as the back up goalie to Shwartz at the World Junior, rather the Czech opted for Faila. I was a tad surprised myself, anyone have any comments or insight!

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
stmikes76 said:
With all due respect to Pavelic, if he posted such good numbers why was he not choosen as the back up goalie to Shwartz at the World Junior, rather the Czech opted for Faila. I was a tad surprised myself, anyone have any comments or insight!

Easy, Fiala and Schwarz both play in the Czech league. Pavelec in the Q..

Steve466

Apr 21, 2005
Irish Blues said:
The knock I heard on Latrendesse coming into the draft was his skating - I remember reading a comment by one scout that the kid was the worst skater the scout had ever seen. If his skating is that bad (if it's below average), that will hinder his success in the NHL more than anything else. You can make up for not being able to pass by being able to shoot; you can make up for not being good offensively by being good defensively. But if your skating is poor, there's litttle you can do to make up for it.
I remember hearing that as well, though one thing I also heard is that as soon as last season ended, Latendresse got to work improving his skating. Apparently, by the time he was drafted, his skating was no longer a big issue with him. Still not great, but not really bad either. I'd be more concerned now with him coming into the WJC 15lbs overweight.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Steve466 said:
I remember hearing that as well, though one thing I also heard is that as soon as last season ended, Latendresse got to work improving his skating. Apparently, by the time he was drafted, his skating was no longer a big issue with him. Still not great, but not really bad either. I'd be more concerned now with him coming into the WJC 15lbs overweight.
:) Yeah, Gaston Gingras worked with him on his skating. Now he skates like a Japanese cook on a cutting board. :eek: :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad