Of all of our D, who would you first convert to Wing?

SteelFish87*

I chose Martin since he couldn't play D last year

I hope nobody picks Letang, that would be stupid

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Actually, besides playing forward for Providence early last season, Velischek was playing forward in the devlopment camp scrimmage this summer. so he might no be a s big of a stretch as one would think.

Pretty much why I said it. I don't think he gets signed after this season anyways, but definitely not as a defenseman. No room for him.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
Maybe Seymour as a 4th line banger?

I'm sure I'm missing some but it's pretty common* to turn a fighting defensemen into a forward (Eric Cairns, Paul Bissonnette and I think Steve MacIntyre is listed as a defenseman some places...would have loved to seen that).

So for that I'd chose Seymour or Harrison Ruopp to be a new heavyweight forward...Assuming the breed doesn't die out by the time they make it to the big leagues.

*"pretty common" in relative terms as in more common than turning a Kris Letang or Paul Martin type of defenseman that can skate and add some offense into a forward.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
MacIntyre was a defenseman back in his WHL days IIRC. Turning a tough defender into a 4th line goon isn't unprecedented. We could do it with Ruopp maybe. That's the likeliest choice.

Alex Grant needs change, either get out of our organization or change roles. He can skate and shoot but doesn't defend that well.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
You see what happens... do you see what happens, Larry??

Do you see what happens when the NHL and NHLPA ruin a season?

This is what happens, Larry. People talk about converting D to winger!

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
You see what happens... do you see what happens, Larry??

Do you see what happens when the NHL and NHLPA ruin a season?

This is what happens, Larry. People talk about converting D to winger!

We could not even come to a consensus on turning Malkin into a winger. If we cannot convert a dynamic offensive talent like that into a winger what makes you think we could turn a defenseman into a winger? :)

Although Burgs comment about Grant does strike me as plausible. At least he has something offensively that we can use.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
smh, 8 people who voted none. they must hate fun. there's no actual hockey.

I voted for Alex Grant. probably because he seems like the least likely to make the pens as a D-man, so maybe he could (hypothetically) use his size and offense to reinvent himself as a winger?

penguins2946*

Grant is playing the wing tonight. Would be interesting to see what he can do.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Grant could be a nice winger. Great size, good offensive instincts & tools. Last year, he was brutal on D, but he has definitely improved -- although not necessarily enough to crack through our top prospect group.

Velischek is also a good idea, for the reasons mentioned. AND, I'm going to throw out this idea, as well:

Despres and/or Joe Morrow: both of these guys have a lot of potential, but both also have a lot of inconsistency in their defensive games. While I ultimately believe Despres will be traded, if he doesn't appear to be on the tragectory of being a top-4 Dman (and is being outplayed by others), he's got good size; but I question whether he would have the hockey sense and chemistry to play with good forwards.

Joe Morrow, however: this is a guy who can flat out fly, and has added a really tough/physical element to his game. I would definitely like to see Joe perform well and gain consistency as a Dman, because if he can do that, he can be a top-2 or top-4 guy. But if his defensive game didn't come around (and this is still in the realm of the hypothetical), then perhaps he could be a really good power-forward type of winger who could also play the point on the PP. Based on speed, strength, toughness and shooting ability alone, he could be a very effective forward if his defensive game never came around (perhaps like a modern-day Wendal Clark lite). ;)

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Letang is the only one who could become a legit winger in the league. He's talented, smart, and tenacious. He'd probably be a mini Dupuis.

On the other hand, Staal could've been a monster on D. I could also see Dupuis being a solid, less physical Orpik-like Dman.

I hear Crosby has had recent success in G.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Letang is the only one who could become a legit winger in the league. He's talented, smart, and tenacious. He'd probably be a mini Dupuis.

On the other hand, Staal could've been a monster on D. I could also see Dupuis being a solid, less physical Orpik-like Dman.

I hear Crosby has had recent success in G.

give him an offseason of practice and Sid could get the Vezina

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This thread needs more pandas to express my disappoint at the level of thread creativity. We get bored and the best we can do is "covert D to Wingarz!"? Very disappoint. Halfa da forum dohn care.

2012-09-17T130533Z_01_TOR901_RTRIDSP_3_USA-PANDA-WASHINGTON-218.jpg

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Martin for Crosby. Doubt Crosby would notice a difference between him and all the other no names they throw with him and Kunitz.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Keep it up and I might put a padlock on this thing. :laugh:

(He'd notice all right. He'd notice that instead of getting pucks for him off the boards and setting up plays, his winger would be in the corner lying in a heap every other shift.)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Keep it up and I might put a padlock on this thing. :laugh:

(He'd notice all right. He'd notice that instead of getting pucks for him off the boards and setting up plays, his winger would be in the corner lying in a heap every other shift.)

Martin goes into the corner? Thats news to me...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->