Proposal: OEL to Edmonton

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Samorukov
2020 1st Round Pick (14th overall)
Puljujarvi
2021 3rd round pick (upgrades to 1st if Oilers make WCF next season)
Kassian

for
OEL
Fischer

If Arizona wants to save more money, you can switch Kassian with Russell (1 year left with 1.5 cash owed and 4 M cap hit)

Nurse
2020 1st Round Pick (14th overall)
Puljujarvi
2021 3rd round pick (upgrades to 1st if Oilers make WCF next season)

for
OEL
Fischer

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Not enough money going out. Add in Russel to both deals (4.0 cap hit, 1.5 salary). Also, Nurse won’t be traded. If they want a replacement top 4d it’ll be Klefbom in that second deal. Samorukov isn’t gonna be traded either he’s the dark horse of our prospect group and teams have asked about him before and been turned down already by Holland. He’s also a little overkill in value considering the contract we’re trading for sucks ass. The 2 options would look like this most likely:

14 + Pulju + Russel + Kassian + Lagesson for OEL + Fischer

or

Klef + Russel + Pulju + 2021 1st for OEL + 2021 2nd

I’d do the first trade, then ship out Klefbom for a good young winger.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Not enough money going out. Add in Russel to both deals (4.0 cap hit, 1.5 salary). Also, Nurse won’t be traded. If they want a replacement top 4d it’ll be Klefbom in that second deal. Samorukov isn’t gonna be traded either he’s the dark horse of our prospect group and teams have asked about him before and been turned down already by Holland. He’s also a little overkill in value considering the contract we’re trading for sucks ass. The 2 options would look like this most likely:

14 + Pulju + Russel + Kassian + Lagesson for OEL + Fischer

or

Klef + Russel + Pulju + 2021 1st for OEL + 2021 2nd

I’d do the first trade, then ship out Klefbom for a good young winger.

Way to much going out. The player we are getting is just starting the downside of his career and has a horrendous cap hit. OEL is better than than Klefbom right now when you consider injuries, but at twice the price it doesn't make sense.

I am not sure why we keep looking at upgrading our left side when we have good depth there. If we are going to overpay for a big contract it should be on the right side. I would rather make an big offer for Dumba, Deangelo, Doughty, or Hamilton. There is also the option of signing Petro or Barrie in UFA. I know there are a lot of hurdles for all of these deals based on the other teams needs but this deal is not addressing our needs and is more rearranging of the deck chairs as we have no idea if OEL is enough of an improvement over what we have.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It Arizona trades OEL this summer, somebody is getting a killer deal for him. I think there is a real opportunity for a blockbuster here. OEL and Kuemper to Edmonton. Klefbom, cash relief and futures (1st rounder, Samurokov, etc) for Arizona.

Reactions: Seanzie8

Seanzie8

Jun 16, 2016
I am not sure why we keep looking at upgrading our left side when we have good depth there. If we are going to overpay for a big contract it should be on the right side. I would rather make an big offer for Dumba, Deangelo, Doughty, or Hamilton.

The reason is simple: we're deeper on the left than the right so we can take the hit; we have more valuable Dmen on the left for deals; and we do not have a #1 guy so we need to make a deal to get one. Any of the guys you listed would be nice but only 2 of them are true number #1s (DD and DH). Doughty would be a nightmare to figure the salary numbers out (I've tried, no one wants to pay what it would cost). Hamilton is likely not available. I'd be shocked if they moved him after the stellar season he just had.

OEL is the most likely scenario and it will cost Nurse or Klef for sure. I'd move 77 before 25 purely for the reason you said before – injuries. Klef reminds me of many other injury plagued players – if they can play all 82 they'd be studs but if you sit around waiting for it to happen they'll make a fool out of you. I say use his valuable contract and the plethora of tradeable assets the Oilers finally have at their disposal and upgrade! We need a minute muncher who not only gives us some offense but quality defense and leadership on our back end. Hell, I'd over pay to get Zona to eat 1-2 mil retained if we can.

In terms of how I'd structure the deal, I'd look strongly at either:

1)
OEL (2 mil retained) + Grabner
For
Klef + Jones + Russell + 1st 2021

2)
OEL + Dvorak
For
Klef + Jones + Neal + 1st 2021 (+JP if needed)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Fans thirsty for OEL seem to believe he's the player he was 5 years ago.

Pass on OEL, Oilers shouldn't even consider adding him unless Arizona is taking Neal and Kassian which they should have no interest in doing.
As long as he isn't the player he was last year he's a number 1. I think given what we know about his relationship with Tocchet, we can be pretty confident that last year was an outlier. Its time for the Oilers to get some assets for cheap coming off of bad years instead of teams doing that to us.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The reason is simple: we're deeper on the left than the right so we can take the hit; we have more valuable Dmen on the left for deals; and we do not have a #1 guy so we need to make a deal to get one. Any of the guys you listed would be nice but only 2 of them are true number #1s (DD and DH). Doughty would be a nightmare to figure the salary numbers out (I've tried, no one wants to pay what it would cost). Hamilton is likely not available. I'd be shocked if they moved him after the stellar season he just had.

OEL is the most likely scenario and it will cost Nurse or Klef for sure. I'd move 77 before 25 purely for the reason you said before – injuries. Klef reminds me of many other injury plagued players – if they can play all 82 they'd be studs but if you sit around waiting for it to happen they'll make a fool out of you. I say use his valuable contract and the plethora of tradeable assets the Oilers finally have at their disposal and upgrade! We need a minute muncher who not only gives us some offense but quality defense and leadership on our back end. Hell, I'd over pay to get Zona to eat 1-2 mil retained if we can.

In terms of how I'd structure the deal, I'd look strongly at either:

1)
OEL (2 mil retained) + Grabner
For
Klef + Jones + Russell + 1st 2021

2)
OEL + Dvorak
For
Klef + Jones + Neal + 1st 2021 (+JP if needed)

Why wouldn’t it cost Edmonton this years first? Arizona has a new GM who is beginning a rebuild. Why wouldn’t he want to start with draft picks this year? Not to mention, if this move helps the Oilers, they might be picking in the 20s next year.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think Edmonton needs to send more than Kassian back in terms of salary in trade 1. I think Edmonton needs more value in trade 2. I'm thinking something more like this.

To Arizona

Nurse or Klefbom
1st round pick
Pulujarvi
Samurokov or Jones
Kassian or Russell

To Edmonton
OEL
Kuemper

I know Arizona wants a 1st for each of those guys, but I think the value is there. Nurse or Klef and Samurokov or Jones is close for OEL in my opinion, and the 1st and Pulujarvi is close for Kuemper. Arizona gets some good young talent outside of the pick, and save significant money and cap. These might not be bang on but I think it could be tinkered around a bit to find some middle ground.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Way to much going out. The player we are getting is just starting the downside of his career and has a horrendous cap hit. OEL is better than than Klefbom right now when you consider injuries, but at twice the price it doesn't make sense.

I am not sure why we keep looking at upgrading our left side when we have good depth there. If we are going to overpay for a big contract it should be on the right side. I would rather make an big offer for Dumba, Deangelo, Doughty, or Hamilton. There is also the option of signing Petro or Barrie in UFA. I know there are a lot of hurdles for all of these deals based on the other teams needs but this deal is not addressing our needs and is more rearranging of the deck chairs as we have no idea if OEL is enough of an improvement over what we have.
Bingo! And I like OEL.

A guy like Pietrangelo is extremely unlikely to come to Edmonton but from a hypothetical roster management perspective I'd rather see him at $10.5M for 7 years and have to deal with finding the cap space than giving up so much for OEL at $8.25M . But since that is unlikely its important not to give away the farm here.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I am not surprised!

Arizona has every right to want as much as possible for OEL but for me the difference between say OEL and Klefbom is not Jones and a 1st round pick even without the $4M difference in their cap hits.
I don’t see Jones or Klefbom in these proposals?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Only if you share all the prospect testing results with us. ;)
The funny thing is that apparently it was fairly worthless and was deleted immediately. And the GM quit anyway. And the team released the strength and conditioning director that was responsible. And the league nailed the team with the sanction anyway. Lol.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The funny thing is that apparently it was fairly worthless and was deleted immediately. And the GM quit anyway. And the team released the strength and conditioning director that was responsible. And the league nailed the team with the sanction anyway. Lol.

Yeah, hockey seems like the one sport where those tests don’t really correlate to prospect success. Maybe Chayka thought he was the GM of a NFL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad