Confirmed with Link: OEL Signs 8 year Extension (8.25 AAV)

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think at times you can be overly nostalgic about reacquiring former players. I’m happy to have moved on from Boedker.

Given Yandle put up 56 points this season while also being deployed as a shutdown defenseman (60% DZone starts at 5v5) and seeing #1 PK time, I would also trade Goligoski for him in a second. He has clearly demonstrated in Florida that he is far from a one-trick offensive pony that many derided him as while he was here.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not sure what the Coyotes would send to Ottawa but I imagine we are one of the teams interested in Hoffman.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Yandle was never supposed to leave in my opinion, but out of that weird string of events after his trade, he turned into Chychrun, Adin Hill, and Jens Looke. Chychrun is obviously the bright spot there, but Hill may be something eventually too.

I think Chychrun will make me forget all about the sting of losing Yandle. So psyched on Chyc.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
OEL quotes from today:
"Nothing can be finalized until July 1, but eight years sounds like a term I would consider."
"Yes, it's a lot of money. I know a new contract is in the works. I like it in Arizona and with the Coyotes and I believe we have a team for the future. I've been there for eight years and I would like to stay there for another eight."
"I think we played well after new years. If we can continue to play like that we can reach the playoffs."
"The young players need to step forward a bit more."
"I don't know what happened after the World Championships, but I was sick for a week. I feel better now."

Superkontraktet till guldhjälten

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bobby Ryan might have the worst contract in the NHL. He's 31 with 4 years left at 7.25m. He played 62 games each oh his last two seasons and averaged 29 points. What helpful player could we expect to get from Ottawa if we also agreed to take Bobby Ryan at full value? Let's assume we send them a replacement level winger like Archibald.

Bobby Ryan + Colin White for Josh Archibald? Is that worthwhile? Surely the Sens would refuse a better offer like Ryan + Stone.
We can't do that. We will have enough trouble signing our young kids when they exiting their ELC's. Blowing money on Ryan is foolish.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Dreger has joined the verbal agreement voices this morning on Twitter.

All Dreger did was parrot Friedman's tweet and Morgan's articles. Nothing new from him, which is to be expected given his primary reporting focus.

We can't do that. We will have enough trouble signing our young kids when they exiting their ELC's. Blowing money on Ryan is foolish.

I'd have to agree. The ROI makes no sense for Chayka, and we're on the cusp of having to write a lot of big checks for a few of our prospects. We can't mortgage our flexibility by adding Ryan's albatross to our necks.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Just a POI - Doug Honegger re: OEL's poor start last season "issues with head coach, issues with not getting Captaincy."

NHL radio just broadcasting deal w/OEL has been agreed to by both parties.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just a POI - Doug Honegger re: OEL's poor start last season "issues with head coach, issues with not getting Captaincy."

NHL radio just broadcasting deal w/OEL has been agreed to by both parties.
No surprise to me there. I have said more than once that OEL should have been named Captain.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd have to agree. The ROI makes no sense for Chayka, and we're on the cusp of having to write a lot of big checks for a few of our prospects. We can't mortgage our flexibility by adding Ryan's albatross to our necks.
This team will have a more favorable place to place soon. Maybe the East Valley. Maybe Houston. Either way, one would hope they could start spending to a competitive level.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This team will have a more favorable place to place soon. Maybe the East Valley. Maybe Houston. Either way, one would hope they could start spending to a competitive level.
The team is staying, book it. If Cobra can make a bold prediction, I can too.:nod: The team starts to win, attract more fans, gets new arena, attract more new fans, team spends to be competitive, attract more new fans. Easy peasy. Life is good in Coyote land.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The team is staying, book it. If Cobra can make a bold prediction, I can too.:nod: The team starts to win, attract more fans, gets new arena, attract more new fans, team spends to be competitive, attract more new fans. Easy peasy. Life is good in Coyote land.
Just spittballing here but I wonder what factor the Canadian dollar will have on fans?? With an almost 40% surcharge and suggestions it will go over 50 in the next year I wonder how many Canadians will stop going to US in winter or dial back their discretionary spending while there? I confess that I have zero idea how many Coyote's fans are Canadian but some nights it looks substantial.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I mean, I'm not even talking about Barroway's wallet here. Bolland's cap hit will be off the books after this coming season, yes, as (I believe) Smitty's salary retention - but by that time we'll have guys like Dvorak and Fischer et al. off their entry contracts and, at the very least, on bridge deals (assuming we don't blow up the roster in trades depending on how next season goes). So I think Chayka is going to have to play his chess game several moves ahead in order to get the depth he needs at the number he needs to hit.

The NHL will backstop Barroway in the short term like they've been doing, but the cap hit adds are going to have to be more of the Bolland type (where insurance takes care of the vast majority of real dollars spent) rather than a contract like Ryan's, IMO.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I mean, I'm not even talking about Barroway's wallet here. Bolland's cap hit will be off the books after this coming season, yes, as (I believe) Smitty's salary retention - but by that time we'll have guys like Dvorak and Fischer et al. off their entry contracts and, at the very least, on bridge deals (assuming we don't blow up the roster in trades depending on how next season goes). So I think Chayka is going to have to play his chess game several moves ahead in order to get the depth he needs at the number he needs to hit.

The NHL will backstop Barroway in the short term like they've been doing, but the cap hit adds are going to have to be more of the Bolland type (where insurance takes care of the vast majority of real dollars spent) rather than a contract like Ryan's, IMO.
I expect the Coyotes to add Hossa or Franzen for that reason. Would also love to see Chayka gets his hands on one of Detroit's RFA's as part of a deal!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->