Confirmed with Link: OEL Signs 8 year Extension (8.25 AAV)

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Money isn't the issue with Oliver. Its the volatility of the franchise and the future. The mediocrity that has been the Coyotes the past six seasons.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So just for arguments sake, OEL refuses to sign the extension, what do you want in a trade deal?

Quick thought...OEL for Oreilly, McCabe and Cliff Pu? enough? Too little? So bad I am instantly added to your ignore list?

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
I would think they would want a #1 center back, first rounder and solid defensive prospect/player.

It would be nice to do a straight up 1-for-1, but hard to do if you ask me.

I am not a fan of making proposals, I almost never throw them out there, but could OEL land them Malkin? I am assuming there would need to be a plus from the Coyotes perspective, but is that plus someone like Domi or something less?

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
OEL and Domi for Malkin? Yea, Malkin's fantastic but for how long? He 32.
I'm not saying I would do OEL+Domi for Malkin, I was just wondering if that was in range of the return that would be required to get Malkin. Frankly, I don't want to trade OEL or Domi (just yet). If OEL is not going to re-sign then you obviously have to look at it. I want to see another year out of Domi before you give up on him. His value could not be any lower than it is now, but maybe in a year you are looking at a Duclair situation where his value is even lower. However, I expect Domi to rebound and if OEL is indeed traded I think Domi might be one of those glue guys for yet another transition.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So just for arguments sake, OEL refuses to sign the extension, what do you want in a trade deal?

Quick thought...OEL for Oreilly, McCabe and Cliff Pu? enough? Too little? So bad I am instantly added to your ignore list?
Downgrading from OEL to McCabe really cripples our D now and in the future. The addition of ROR leaves Strome with no place in the line up to call home. That forces a sell-low on Strome.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Downgrading from OEL to McCabe really cripples our D now and in the future. The addition of ROR leaves Strome with no place in the line up to call home. That forces a sell-low on Strome.
I thought initially of OReilly plus Ristolainen but figured that was too much. I am ok with Dvorak moving to wing on a scoring line.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
5th OV - Hamilton

OEL - Krug, DeBrusk, 2nd rounder, Wingels

Domi - Sprong +

Keller - Stepan - Panik
DeBrusk - Dvorak - Sprong
Perlini - Strome - Fischer
Crouse - Krueger - Wingels
Cousins

Krug - Hamilton
Chych - Hammer
Goose - Daddy

Flame away

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
5th OV - Hamilton

5 OA for Hamilton is closer to a fair deal than Calgary fans would ever admit I think. I don't think Calgary does it though. They want a first but I'm not sure they want to pay for a top 10 pick. I could see them trying to gobble up a mid-late first from one of the teams who has more than one.

Boston doesn't trade all that stuff for rental OEL in a million years.

rt

May 13, 2004
Can’t see Boston adding a bunch of assets to Krug for OEL Krug was a beast for them in the playoffs this year and is an effective player that they are certain is a good fit for them. OEL is more of a mystery.

rt

May 13, 2004
OEL + Strome for Risto and ROR. Would be a blockbuster. Don't want it to happen.
I’d do that for sure. Can’t imagine Buffalo goes for it. Then again, I really don’t understand why ROR is on the market anyway. Also, not sure I see OEL agreeing so quickly to re-sign in Buffalo. He’d obviously need to be locked up for that deal to happen.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Interesting but likely moot. Doubt OEL wants to live in Buffalo.

rt

May 13, 2004
5th OV - Hamilton

Domi - Sprong +

Keller - Stepan - Panik
DeBrusk - Dvorak - Sprong
Perlini - Strome - Fischer
Crouse - Krueger - Wingels
Cousins

Krug - Hamilton
Chych - Hammer
Goose - Daddy

Flame away
Maybe move Domi to the Boston proposal, eat 50% of OEL’s cap next year, and drop Wingels.

When do signing bonuses get paid out? If we take David Backes off their hands after they’ve paid out his next signing bonus installment, they dump a 6m cap hit the next three seasons. We get him for 3m next year and 4m the following two. Maybe if they pay his bonus and trade him to us with 25% retention (1.5m in dead cap)? Then he costs us 2.25, 3.00 and 3.00. That’s not bad for a hard nosed RHS C with size and vet leadership ability.

So after July 1st (or whenever bonuses paid):

To BOS:
OEL (50%)
???

To ARI:
Krug
Backes (25%)
???

What fills that deal out?

rt

May 13, 2004
Signing bonuses are paid July 1.
Perfect, so we use draft day to get a deal done but don’t actually send the trade call in until July. Boston would need to get to get Backes to waive his NMC and to get OEL to agree to a 7yr extension.

Bruins get a better all around D in OEL for Krug, who’s more specialized. They also get out from under that Backes contract that’s really killing their cap situation.

We get a D that helps us right now but is still pretty young in Krug. We get a RW/C insurance policy on Strome in Backes.

The question is, what would Boston have to add? Something pretty substantial, I think. Krug has only two years left on his deal, and Backes is a pure dump. Getting a signed OEL would require some serious additional assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->