Confirmed with Link: OEL Signs 8 year Extension (8.25 AAV)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
MTL fans are suggesting OEL+5 for Pacioretty+3, which is obviously asinine. I mentioned that they'd have to add Victor Mete and keep adding from there. That got me thinking, though, what else would it take? What could we reasonably expect? Obviously MTL and ARI would need to chat with the respective centerpiece players and have a good feeling about contract situations. But what would I need from Montreal to accept the idea of trading a Number 1D for a winger that's two years his senior? Getting Zadina helps (though this costs us fifth overall). Getting Mete helps. I'm not sold on that package unless Montreal adds more. How much? Does 35th overall do it? Ehhhhh........this sucks......

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
if MTL offers 3OV + Mete + Patches for an unsigned OEL + 5OV and we take it, that means OEL never wanted to sign and honestly, may be one of the best packages we get for OEL. I, broken-heartedly take that deal.

We get Zadina and Mete out of it, and MAYBE the chances of getting Patches to re-sign. Leaves a huge hole in D if Mete doesn't turn out, but if OEL doesn't want to sign, we're going to be left with a huge hole there anyway.

We just need him to sign. Offer 8.75m over 8 years with captaincy if you have to, just get it done and take our player at 5OV.

rt

May 13, 2004
if MTL offers 3OV + Mete + Patches for an unsigned OEL + 5OV and we take it, that means OEL never wanted to sign and honestly, may be one of the best packages we get for OEL. I, broken-heartedly take that deal.

We get Zadina and Mete out of it, and MAYBE the chances of getting Patches to re-sign. Leaves a huge hole in D if Mete doesn't turn out, but if OEL doesn't want to sign, we're going to be left with a huge hole there anyway.

We just need him to sign. Offer 8.75m over 8 years with captaincy if you have to, just get it done and take our player at 5OV.

Patches is in the same contract situation OEL is in. One year left. The "unsigned" bit goes both ways on this one.

rt

May 13, 2004
I know, but if OEL has his heart set elsewhere what do we do? Take Zadina and Mete and hope we can convince Patches.
There may be other options out there. Zadina could fall to 5th, anyway. I'd value the pick swap at about a middle 2nd rounder. Mete and a mid-2nd along with an unsigned Pacioretty seems underwhelming for even an unsigned OEL, no? Maybe I'm crazy.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't see Pacioretty being a motivated, happy player to add to the room. Pretty bad principle return unless Montreal adds a boat load to him. And why would they even trade for OEL? They're reportedly tearing it all down or close to it.

Would Ottawa pay a premium for OEL if it meant locking up Karlsson too?
Would Toronto pay a premium for OEL given their playoff showing and abundance of ammo?
Would Dallas pay a premium for OEL due to their closing window?

Find a partner that legitimately needs OEL

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
MTL fans are suggesting OEL+5 for Pacioretty+3, which is obviously asinine. I mentioned that they'd have to add Victor Mete and keep adding from there. That got me thinking, though, what else would it take? What could we reasonably expect? Obviously MTL and ARI would need to chat with the respective centerpiece players and have a good feeling about contract situations. But what would I need from Montreal to accept the idea of trading a Number 1D for a winger that's two years his senior? Getting Zadina helps (though this costs us fifth overall). Getting Mete helps. I'm not sold on that package unless Montreal adds more. How much? Does 35th overall do it? Ehhhhh........this sucks......

Don't think they have the pieces. Maybe if they didn't piss away Sergachev.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
There’s still going to be a tremendous trade market for him. Especially if he’s willing to talk extension with certain teams.

If he is indeed going to decline the contract.

Trade him by the draft or at the draft. Take the best deal on the table. He absolutely cannot play another game as a coyote. We can not afford to let him get hurt or watch him sulk and tank his value this season.

Take the best deal, and move on. Give Stepan the C. Give Zadina #23 and lets all be happy!

Reactions: Lilhoody

rt

May 13, 2004
Clearly draft day is the day he goes if he’s not going to agree in principal to a handshake deal before then. I still think we’ll get pretty good value if we work with OEL and really lean on him to think hard about where he wants to be and get him into contact with those teams ASAP. He can have a 2 day UFA period, essentially. Most top UFAs sign the first few days of free agency anyway. If he really wants to be in Dallas or Toronto or Montreal or Carolina or Long Island or wherever, I’m sure we can get a good deal after positive talks with all parties.

rt

May 13, 2004
Chicago apparently wants to make a huge splash. They’re talking to Carolina about Faulk. What about a deal where Chicago gets OEL at 50% (with a handshake extension) and we eat the Hossa contract, while Faulk and some other primo assets end up here? A three-way deal.

DeBrincat reunion with Strome? Maybe we end up with 8th overall?

To Chicago:
OEL(50% w/handshake)
5th overall

To Arizona:
DeBrincat
Faulk
8th overall
Hossa

To Carolina
Murphy
Crouse
27th overall

Panik-Stepan-Keller
Domi-Strome-DeBrincat
Perlini-Dvorak-Fischer
Archibald-Kruger-Cousins
Ullstrom

Goligoski-Faulk
Chychrun-Hjammer
Connauton-Demers
Lyubushkin

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hawks need DeBrincat's ELC production way more than they need to trade up a few spots.

rt

May 13, 2004
Hawks need DeBrincat's ELC production way more than they need to trade up a few spots.
True. Take out 5 & DeBrincat? And I guess Carolina looks like they’re getting a pretty good deal. Force them to be the ones to eat Hossa?

To CHI
OEL(50% & handshake)

To ARI
8th overall
27th overall
Murphy
Hossa

To CAR
27th overall
Murphy
Crouse
Hossa

To ARI
Faulk

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
True. Take out 5 & DeBrincat? And I guess Carolina looks like they’re getting a pretty good deal. Force them to be the ones to eat Hossa?

The Coyotes would need Hossa's hit after dealing OEL for a pick and Faulk. Seems a bit generous for Chicago - they get a top pairing D and dump a problematic contract for 2 picks they don't want to wait around for and a D they probably aren't high on. I think if Faulk could be had for 2 mediocre roster players and a late first, he'd have been dealt already.

rt

May 13, 2004
The Coyotes would need Hossa's hit after dealing OEL for a pick and Faulk. Seems a bit generous for Chicago - they get a top pairing D and dump a problematic contract for 2 picks they don't want to wait around for and a D they probably aren't high on. I think if Faulk could be had for 2 mediocre roster players and a late first, he'd have been dealt already.
So Chicago is doing too well and Carolina not well enough?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So Chicago is doing too well and Carolina not well enough?

It's an extremely easy trade for Chicago to make. They don't touch the roster (Murphy ain't shit), dump Hossa, and just add OEL out of the blue @50%. Stan Bowman would need a cigarette after that call.

I'd probably swap Kuemper and Darling, then ask Chicago for Hinostroza to add to the stickyboi collection in AZ.

Hjalmarsson is going if OEL is going, so you may as well consider a package scenario as well.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Seriously, did I miss something? I haven't heard even a whisper that OEL wants to walk. Is it everybody's (mine included) insecurity that is bringing up all this OEL trade talk or did something happen? Did his agent say anything worrisome?

Reactions: doaner

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Seriously, did I miss something? I haven't heard even a whisper that OEL wants to walk. Is it everybody's (mine included) insecurity that is bringing up all this OEL trade talk or did something happen? Did his agent say anything worrisome?
I think it is just the news that OEL has been offered a substantial (8 yrs x $8.25) deal and, if he does not sign it, the next option is a trade.

Looking thru a few other team threads the offers for OEL are tragic. If Chayka has to trade OEL (ie he does not want to sign long term) than the return better be significant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad