Confirmed with Link: OEL Signs 8 year Extension (8.25 AAV)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Nothing. I just think it's closer to done than Dreger. My opinion.
I don't think it will be an issue either, and I would expect stability and team plans would play as big of a role as money as let's face OEL is already wealthy and will be set for several lifetimes with next contract wherever he signs it. Players are asking more questions about team and direction now as money takes care of itself.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't know OEL but IMO I don't see him as the type of guy who is looking for the big stage or the limelight. I would be very surprised if he wanted to live and play in the spotlight of a market Toronto as an example. This hurts me to write as a Leaf fan but I thing Matthews is kinda that way as well. I would bet if Matthews could get to AZ or similar where the Life away from hockey is more laid back and free he would jump at the chance. I think OEL wants to keep that if at all possible.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I don't know OEL but IMO I don't see him as the type of guy who is looking for the big stage or the limelight. I would be very surprised if he wanted to live and play in the spotlight of a market Toronto as an example. This hurts me to write as a Leaf fan but I thing Matthews is kinda that way as well. I would bet if Matthews could get to AZ or similar where the Life away from hockey is more laid back and free he would jump at the chance. I think OEL wants to keep that if at all possible.
I agree. And interestingly, many have said the same about Tavares.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I agree. And interestingly, many have said the same about Tavares.

Honestly, signing Tavares would be realllly interesting for the Yotes. That's would be a great way to add a key piece to the roster without giving up any assets. Now... if only they could do it without an anchor of a deal. (If he was interested. Which would be awesome.)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Honestly, signing Tavares would be realllly interesting for the Yotes. That's would be a great way to add a key piece to the roster without giving up any assets. Now... if only they could do it without an anchor of a deal. (If he was interested. Which would be awesome.)
Seems like it would have to be 7y x 12m, no? Best case scenario 7y x 11m, right?

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Seems like it would have to be 7y x 12m, no? Best case scenario 7y x 11m, right?

IF he wanted a deal similar to others in his talent category. BUT what if the Yotes could convince him to take a smaller deal so that they could actually be competitive!? Now that's what I am talking about haha. Would never happen but one can dream.

The crazy thing to me about deals like those, especially in his situation (saying he wants to win, etc) is that they hamstring the team so it makes it harder to sign more talent to surround them to win.

My pitch to him about the Yotes would be this... Look at the young talent coming up and how the lineup would look with you in it. We'd have a true 1c, high end 2c in Stepan, possibly a great 3 c in Strome/Dvo and etc... talented players like Keller. And, what he hasn't had on NYI... true number 1 d man like OEL with a solid D core going forward. The goalie situation is now stable, too. But yea, in terms of history... not much to woo him there haha. I'd say "Don't worry about history, Johnny T... you're going to make history here" haha.

Reactions: doaner

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
IF he wanted a deal similar to others in his talent category. BUT what if the Yotes could convince him to take a smaller deal so that they could actually be competitive!? Now that's what I am talking about haha. Would never happen but one can dream.

The crazy thing to me about deals like those, especially in his situation (saying he wants to win, etc) is that they hamstring the team so it makes it harder to sign more talent to surround them to win.

My pitch to him about the Yotes would be this... Look at the young talent coming up and how the lineup would look with you in it. We'd have a true 1c, high end 2c in Stepan, possibly a great 3 c in Strome/Dvo and etc... talented players like Keller. And, what he hasn't had on NYI... true number 1 d man like OEL with a solid D core going forward. The goalie situation is now stable, too. But yea, in terms of history... not much to woo him there haha. I'd say "Don't worry about history, Johnny T... you're going to make history here" haha.
Take out OEL and try to make the case for the Coyotes having better talent and prospects over staying where he is.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Take out OEL and try to make the case for the Coyotes having better talent and prospects over staying where he is.

Kinda shows why the Yotes really need to keep OEL! I think it would still be attractive in general, but having OEL on the blue line really gives the team at least something solid to go forward with. Also depends on Raanta going forward... if he keeps up his play from the end of the year, that's another extremely attractive building piece for a player. Hot goalie in the playoffs can take you far.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Who is in the running for Taveres now?

Are Isles, SJ and Montreal the top contenders? Why aren't the Wild or STL all over this, we can help out with their cap :naughty:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Kinda shows why the Yotes really need to keep OEL! I think it would still be attractive in general, but having OEL on the blue line really gives the team at least something solid to go forward with. Also depends on Raanta going forward... if he keeps up his play from the end of the year, that's another extremely attractive building piece for a player. Hot goalie in the playoffs can take you far.
So the pitch would be that with the team we have(perennial cellar dwellers) plus you we could challenge for the Cup!!!!! I would hope that talk comes with a $15 million per year offer!!!

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Are Isles, SJ and Montreal the top contenders? Why aren't the Wild or STL all over this, we can help out with their cap :naughty:
Nobody knows that answer, It's speculation at best.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
So the pitch would be that with the team we have(perennial cellar dwellers) plus you we could challenge for the Cup!!!!! I would hope that talk comes with a $15 million per year offer!!!

Something similar could have been said about the leafs just a couple of seasons ago. What did it take for them to actually start being a playoff team ya know? Getting a center like Matthews and having young talent start to turn out does wonders for a team. Yotes have clearly been rebuilding for a couple of years, very necessarily so. It's expected for rebuilding teams to be in the cellar. But at some point, they cease to be in the cellar (one would hope). I believe that the Yotes are not far from taking that next step at all. Getting a true 1 c is a big part of moving into true contention year after year.

Just to be clear, though.. I don't actually expect Tavares to even consider AZ. Also don't think AZ will really push for him, either. I just think it would be lovely to get a player like him on a decent deal (which wouldn't happen anyways because he'd be a UFA). I wouldn't be surprised if he's back with the Isles next year.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

SJ can make it work, but it's a little tight now following that silly extension for Kane.

I think STL is in for sure.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yeah, I would think we’d be 31st on his list. Even if he likes a low profile, maybe we’d rank above the Canadian teams and that’s about it.
Well, his former skating coach does work for the Coyotes now. Maybe that was the plan all along!

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Would be nice to know what Ekman-Larsson is thinking right about now.

I keep imagining him not agreeing to a deal and us taking a lower offer due to him starting his final year July 1st. We just need him to sign. Asfghjkl;

I’m used to the gloom and doom. So I’m expecting him to be traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->