Confirmed with Link: OEL Signs 8 year Extension (8.25 AAV)

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
His agent gets paid a percentage so he of course wanted him to test the market. Whatever the Coyotes have offered wouldn't go away at UFA time. He could easily shop for the highest bidder then come back and take the Coyotes offer.

If the offer is 8.25 by 8, total dollars are 66 mill. Another club would have to offer 7 years at 10 mill to beat the total dollars (70 mill) by a decent margin. Is that enough to go live in Edmonton or wherever versus Scottsdale the next 8 years? It seems like total dollars wouldn't be beaten by any large margin elsewhere when you pencil it out. The NHL isn't moving the team, and with what Vegas did, the competitive argument for another city versus Phoenix doesn't hold water given our young and talented roster. Bottom line, OEL gets a great payday, security, and likes living in Scottsdale.
The advantageous tax situation in Arizona also factors in when comparing to other markets.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I was hoping this would happen, I was optimistic this would happen.

However, only OEL could make it happen. He has made a MASSIVE commitment to the organisation, and very much to us too, the fans.

It is likely that his agent pushed for him to test the market, as any agent should suggest his guy to do. Those opportunities don't come so often.

But hey, OEL looked at this, and Chayka, Barroway, Tocchet found a way to get him to believe in what is ahead.

And here we are, we have our captain, we have our face of the franchise.

I am happy to believe.

Congrats to all involved. Santé to all of us; to better, exciting days ahead.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
First time an all star caliber Coyote has re-upped with the team at what would be described as their career defining contract? Can only think of one UFA from another team signing a similar career contract with the Coyotes....Jovo.

I hope this deal doesn't include a trade we find out about on July 1....

Loss/no luck/Paranoia is just a way of life for Coyote fans....

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
How would he know if he left money on the table? He wasn’t a UFA. Were teams talking to him 13-14 months in advance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->