Confirmed with Link: OEL Signs 8 year Extension (8.25 AAV)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
We can afford it for one or two before trading with retention or buying him out.

Ryan is a pretty harsh buyout as the contract is slightly backloaded and includes signing bonuses each season.

Buyout with 3 years left = $17m in real dollars
Buyout with 2 years left = $11.67m in real dollars

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Damn it took some of you a long time
I don't believe good news about the Coyotes until it hits NHL.com. I will believe any bad news about the Coyotes from literally any source, literally the instant I become aware of it.

I've been posting like 10 times a day on this forum for like 15 years. You should know this about me by now.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Morgan said around 8. Anyway, I don’t really care. Was just trying to give credit to where it was due.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Someone on Twitter mentioned OEL's agent said they wanted to see progress on an arena before he'd sign an extension. Anyone else hear this?

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Would be a nice development. OEL signing because ownership felt it was necessary to clue him in on positive news regarding the arena.

Gotta feel bad for Goligoski. His first interview after being traded here he mentioned about how the current ownership (at the time) clued him in on how an arena wasn't going to be an issue anymore. Months later they release that Tempe debacle that was shot down almost immediately after it came out and Leblanc and staff see their ways out. Goligoski probably feels a little pissed about that, understandably so.

Hopefully OEL knows more than we do. Say what you will about Barroway and Patterson, but they seem to be more true professionals than we've seen in the past.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Would be a nice development. OEL signing because ownership felt it was necessary to clue him in on positive news regarding the arena.

Gotta feel bad for Goligoski. His first interview after being traded here he mentioned about how the current ownership (at the time) clued him in on how an arena wasn't going to be an issue anymore. Months later they release that Tempe debacle that was shot down almost immediately after it came out and Leblanc and staff see their ways out. Goligoski probably feels a little pissed about that, understandably so.

Hopefully OEL knows more than we do. Say what you will about Barroway and Patterson, but they seem to be more true professionals than we've seen in the past.
I have been very hard on AB by the way he treated Doan and the DT situation. Then hearing in Jan. he can't make payroll etc. The payroll thing was a bunch of hot air, but still not happy the way he treated Doan. I think he will find investors to stabilize this whole scenario. The team is not moving, but may be sold with AB having a certain % of the team.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
To put it out there I was completely skeptical on Oliver signing. In fact, I had heard the exact opposite. There were a lot of interest from a lot of teams that were, at the time, very intriguing.

At this point I don’t know what changed. I know I had some in a private message explaining this but boy am I glad I was wrong. I know his agent wanted him out, or atleast explore what was there.

I would like to think something else bigger is going on that has changed his mind. I know the thought of relocation and the lack of success was the problem.

So here’s to hoping shit really starts turning around and this team starts churning out the wins with a meaningful roster.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Mostly he goes on to talk about how Doughty and Karlson will not be impacted as much on this signing as they will be closer to 11 million .. This will likely have an impact on Carlson from the caps , and he figures he may get a little more.

Wasnt really much about OEL.. Just suprised he signed , earlier it was thought he was going to,leave..likely will be captain.

Coyotes and anything related are usually an after thought with some of these guys, so they always come across as suprised... And undervaluing our players

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Mostly he goes on to talk about how Doughty and Karlson will not be impacted as much on this signing as they will be closer to 11 million .. This will likely have an impact on Carlson from the caps , and he figures he may get a little more.

Wasnt really much about OEL.. Just suprised he signed , earlier it was thought he was going to,leave..likely will be captain.

Coyotes and anything related are usually an after thought with some of these guys, so they always come across as suprised... And undervaluing our players

thanks man!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
To put it out there I was completely skeptical on Oliver signing. In fact, I had heard the exact opposite. There were a lot of interest from a lot of teams that were, at the time, very intriguing.

At this point I don’t know what changed. I know I had some in a private message explaining this but boy am I glad I was wrong. I know his agent wanted him out, or atleast explore what was there.

I would like to think something else bigger is going on that has changed his mind. I know the thought of relocation and the lack of success was the problem.

So here’s to hoping **** really starts turning around and this team starts churning out the wins with a meaningful roster.
His agent gets paid a percentage so he of course wanted him to test the market. Whatever the Coyotes have offered wouldn't go away at UFA time. He could easily shop for the highest bidder then come back and take the Coyotes offer.

If the offer is 8.25 by 8, total dollars are 66 mill. Another club would have to offer 7 years at 10 mill to beat the total dollars (70 mill) by a decent margin. Is that enough to go live in Edmonton or wherever versus Scottsdale the next 8 years? It seems like total dollars wouldn't be beaten by any large margin elsewhere when you pencil it out. The NHL isn't moving the team, and with what Vegas did, the competitive argument for another city versus Phoenix doesn't hold water given our young and talented roster. Bottom line, OEL gets a great payday, security, and likes living in Scottsdale.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I would like to think this as well, but if you'll recall, Doan was at this crossroads several years ago and ended up staying because he believed the assurances of IceArizona about long-term stability for the franchise. That quite obviously didn't pan out at all. So for OEL's sake, I hope his loyalty isn't as shoddily repaid as Doan's was.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I would like to think this as well, but if you'll recall, Doan was at this crossroads several years ago and ended up staying because he believed the assurances of IceArizona about long-term stability for the franchise. That quite obviously didn't pan out at all. So for OEL's sake, I hope his loyalty isn't as shoddily repaid as Doan's was.

Well, technically speaking... they didn't end up moving during that time frame and played in the exact same arena for the duration so I'd say that wasn't a lie. Not quite stable but really not what he was worried about. Haha, although man did things get bungled up.

I also hope OEL gets rewarded for loyalty/etc as well. For many reasons!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

So here’s to hoping **** really starts turning around and this team starts churning out the wins with a meaningful roster.
All the more reason why I take what you post very seriously.

Signing this contract puts OEL in the Doan category for loyalty and we should return that loyalty.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Thanks SR, always appreciate your insight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->