Odds the Leafs actually keep this year’s first round pick?

Will the Leafs actually have a 1st round pick this year heading into the draft?

• Total voters

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
It might go at the deadline for help on the blue line. But it would just be a 3 month rental. We can't afford another contract even at league minimum going into next season.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Personally, I can’t see the Leafs holding onto this year’s first rounder knowing the window is fully open to pursue a Stanley Cup. Definitely gets dealt for an upgrade on D in my opinion. Agree/Disagree?

If that D man is between the age of 21 - 25 than sure, I could see it. Otherwise I doubt it.

- Dubas seems like the guy who'd salivate at the draft, likes to uncover gems.
- Leafs window has barely opened. No need to get excited just yet.
- Draft picks are controlled assets.... with Leafs about to have alot of money tied up in superstar players. The draft picks will be essential to having skilled players for cheap (in a cap world).
- Ex. Chicago.. they had to continually trade their developed youth for picks because they couldn't afford to give them their raises (due to Kieth, seabrook, Kane, hossa, Toews).

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Leafs are going to be a top tier, cap loaded team for a decade , we are going to need lots young studs on ELC's to help with the Cap issue. I say there will be no trading of 1st rounders unless an offer that cant be refused comes up.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think you have to look at the potential UFA Dmen list and the teams these players are on. Personally, I really don’t see how any of those Dmen is an upgrade to the Leafs.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Nah, I don't think so. We saw it the last two years. D system tightens up when they get in to the playoffs. We have arguably a superior bottom 6 and a far superior top 6 than the last two playoff "runs" and both series were close. This time there's the Tavares factor and Rielly has hit a new level. No need to use a pick for a run when we still have Sandin and Liljegren developing well and they could just as easily step on to the Leafs next season.

Reactions: Tmart335 and Dzonna

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
At the present moment im a little bit torn on what I think they should do. Im leaning towards the thought that unless some super deal for a high end defender aged 24-28 becomes available that cant be passed up, we hold our pick this year. We need to get our big contracts all signed before we make any hasty decisions because losing people will alter our course hugely.

Now, once those issues are taken care of I have a completely different view. If we have this core of stars locked up for 5-8 years I think the only smart thing to do is use a couple draft years to your advantage to shore up other immediate needs. Those picks would be rotting in our system behind stars with very little chance of impact for years.

Reactions: Maple Leafs

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I think that they will be keeping it. With all the top line talent that needs to get paid in Toronto, they will need a steady stream of quality young players in the system coming up to replace the expensive vets. Higher draft picks are important to a franchise trying to keep its Cup window open for as long as possible.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There will come a time when they trade it you have to at some point but I'm not sure it's necessary to do that this year although I'm also not against it

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
No, they will trade down

I voted they keep it but this is a distinct probability. I think this would happen at the draft and the question was would they have the pick going into the draft.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If that D man is between the age of 21 - 25 than sure, I could see it. Otherwise I doubt it.

- Dubas seems like the guy who'd salivate at the draft, likes to uncover gems.
- Leafs window has barely opened. No need to get excited just yet.
- Draft picks are controlled assets.... with Leafs about to have alot of money tied up in superstar players. The draft picks will be essential to having skilled players for cheap (in a cap world).
- Ex. Chicago.. they had to continually trade their developed youth for picks because they couldn't afford to give them their raises (due to Kieth, seabrook, Kane, hossa, Toews).

"Barely opened?"

Nah man when you Matthews Tavares and Kadri down the middle your window is WIDE open

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
My guess is that it will go as part of a package (maybe with Willie?) to upgrade our RHD.
My dream?
Willie, Zaitsev, 1st rounder for PK.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Personally, I can’t see the Leafs holding onto this year’s first rounder knowing the window is fully open to pursue a Stanley Cup. Definitely gets dealt for an upgrade on D in my opinion. Agree/Disagree?
Disagree.
Many deadline deals don't pan out.
Duby likes to play the percentages. Which would suggest a minor depth upgrade would be what he's up to.
Nothing big will be done. Nothing that would include a 1st.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Late first don't hold much of value. So trading late first for top 4 rhd isn't gonna happen.

Add to that best open for cup is in 4-6 years. Pitt didn't win anything after Crosby and Malkin sign those big contracts. You either win when your top players are in their ELC deals or when they are in their prime years after.

So basically this year is Leafs best chance to win in years.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think they likely trade it and should if they look like an elite contender.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm hopeful that it will be a really late pick, so obviously there are some prospects that will have more value than it. Would be great to be in that kind of situation to really go for it, but for now, I'll guess any acquisition made will involve something other than the 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad