Odd Man Rush Defense Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
So, I've made it a habit of taking a dive and sliding whenever I get caught defending an odd man rush. I figure it's the best thing to do...block a pass or a shot that way. But other tell me to stay standing and try to block with my stick or my feet...what's the best way to go? They say if I slide, I probably wind up out of the play, but I figure I got more of a chance to block something and also be able to keep up with the play. Idk how to really keep up whle trying to keep my legs closed and stick on the ground.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Position yourself between the two skaters, and close slowly towards the player with the puck to take away his angle. Don't close too quickly, because you want to be able to break up the pass. If you play it right, the puck carrier will end up with a bad-angle shot. If you dive, the puck carrier can stop and either walk in on the goalie, or else pass to a wide open teammate (or both).

bmxer

Apr 14, 2004
Finland
Ludwig Fell Down said:
If you dive, the puck carrier can stop and either walk in on the goalie, or else pass to a wide open teammate (or both).
yeah, thats a good point.
But I wouldn't lean more towards the shooter, instead more towards the other guy going hard to the net. Make the guy look for the pass, but ultimatly, you want him to shoot on the angle and let the goalie get that.

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
bmxer said:
yeah, thats a good point.
But I wouldn't lean more towards the shooter, instead more towards the other guy going hard to the net. Make the guy look for the pass, but ultimatly, you want him to shoot on the angle and let the goalie get that.

I'd go more with this technique. I've always been told and heard it said that if you are the defender in a 2 on 1, the defender takes away the option of the pass by covering the guy without the puck and leave the goalie to focus on the puck carrier. Last thing the goalie wants is to have to move quickly across his goal and try and reposition himself with little time for what will likely be a one-timer.

I play roller (as a forward no less but i have found our defence likes to 'wander') so i get a few chances to deal with this. I try stay close to the guy without the puck so if he makes a move, i know right away what it is, if thats not an option, i skate backwards and keep my stick flat to the ground forcing a saucer pass. On the ice, you might be able to go backwards on one knee and use your stick as well, blocking more of the passing lane but playing roller, i find with my knee down there is too much friction and i can get out of position. Useful for stopping quickly though ;)

Anyone else ever been taught to go down the middle and drift towards the puck carrier? And if so, is it more effective?

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Don't make the mistake a block you're goalies view of the puck.

Let the goalie take care of the shooter, just make sure the pass doesn't get across.

JeffW

Apr 2, 2005
Battochio30 said:
Don't make the mistake a block you're goalies view of the puck.

Let the goalie take care of the shooter, just make sure the pass doesn't get across.

Correct. Goalie takes the shooter, defender takes away the pass across & cleans up any rebound.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Arghh....all that advice didn't quite process in my head tonight. Back playing defense tonight, something I'm still getting used to, and I got burned on an odd man break. I dropped on my knees and the guy blew by me. There was a lot more room than I though...but still, probably shouldn't have dropped down.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
JeffW said:
Correct. Goalie takes the shooter, defender takes away the pass across & cleans up any rebound.

Interesting to note that Dominik Hasek likes his defensemen to attack the shooter.

Just thought I would throw that in.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
sc37 said:
So, I've made it a habit of taking a dive and sliding whenever I get caught defending an odd man rush. I figure it's the best thing to do...block a pass or a shot that way. But other tell me to stay standing and try to block with my stick or my feet...what's the best way to go? They say if I slide, I probably wind up out of the play, but I figure I got more of a chance to block something and also be able to keep up with the play. Idk how to really keep up whle trying to keep my legs closed and stick on the ground.

If it is a two-on-one, try to force the pass near the blue line or just inside. Your goalie will thank you for either giving him only one guy to deal with, or for blocking the pass entirely. If you cannot force the puck-carrier to pass, back off slightly, and whatever you have to do, block that pass. As a rule though, the dive is usually more for despiration.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I say, take away the passing option. Play between the two, towards the extra man. Let him shoot. Clean up the rebound.

If you are really fast, you play the extra man, and just as you feel the carrier has given up on the pass option and is in his wind up, whip out the poke check. Make sure he does not slip it through your legs to the other player. This is risky, but if you have the skill.....

shorre

Jan 4, 2006
oakville , ontario
ive never been a fan of leavin your feet when u r the last man back.when u do that u r takin yourself out of the play.a talented forward will hold it and its just him and the goalie, then u r not doin your job.take the pass away and let the goalie do his job and u do yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->