Oculus Quest (VR)

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Didn't see a VR thread so I thought I'd create one.

Anyone preorder the Quest? For those that don't know, it's coming out May 21, and while it doesn't have the same processing power as the RiftS, it's completely stand alone and wireless. No gaming PC required, no cables, all for around $400.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Didn't see a VR thread so I thought I'd create one.

Anyone preorder the Quest? For those that don't know, it's coming out May 21, and while it doesn't have the same processing power as the RiftS, it's completely stand alone and wireless. No gaming PC required, no cables, all for around $400.

I just ordered one last night. Never tried VR before but has great reviews and my buddy says it’s awesome since it’s standalone.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I just ordered one last night. Never tried VR before but has great reviews and my buddy says it’s awesome since it’s standalone.

Let me know how it goes with the battery life and visually how things looks (especially for movies). I've always been on the fence and the large/tall poles you need to set up around your room along with the cord was a big limitation for me. I don't have that kind of open space right now.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Bought one on launch day. Battery life is about 3 hours, so pretty good. And the wireless part is great for certain games like beat saber and robo recall where you need to do 360 degree spins.

Overall, the library of games isn't that great thought. I think only 5-6 games announced at E3 are coming to quest. I think of it as a fantastic entry level VR. It doesn't have the graphical power of any of the PCVR headsets obviously, so some developers aren't even going to try and port to Quest

DynamiteKid

Aug 12, 2005
Stony Plain
Having fun with it so far. Battery life is okay. Gets heavy on the head anyway, so it's not like I want to keep it on for hours on end. As someone who doesn't own a high-end PC, this is perfect for me as an entry into VR. I'm fine with the graphics. Meeting Vader for the first time in Vader Immortal was so cool. Too bad it was such a short game time (40ish min).

Setting up the guardian (space) is so simple.

Still debating on buying Moss or not.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Having fun with it so far. Battery life is okay. Gets heavy on the head anyway, so it's not like I want to keep it on for hours on end. As someone who doesn't own a high-end PC, this is perfect for me as an entry into VR. I'm fine with the graphics. Meeting Vader for the first time in Vader Immortal was so cool. Too bad it was such a short game time (40ish min).

Setting up the guardian (space) is so simple.

Still debating on buying Moss or not.
Moss is alright, but overpriced. I think its $30 in the store but should probably cost half that. It's a pretty simple puzzle/adventure game, good if you have kids.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Bought one on launch day. Battery life is about 3 hours, so pretty good. And the wireless part is great for certain games like beat sabre and robo recall where you need to do 360 degree spins.

Overall, the library of games isn't that great thought. I think only 5-6 games announced at E3 are coming to quest. I think of it as a fantastic entry level VR. It doesn't have the graphical power of any of the PCVR headsets obviously, so some developers aren't even going to try and port to Quest

You can sideload games onto the Quest using an app called SideQuest. Going to try it out today.

SteamVR support now available on Oculus Quest through sideloading

This guy walks through how to add on Pavlov (CS:GO Type of game in VR) using SideQuest.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
bump

anyone have any recommendations for a new owner of one of these? just got one

wondering if there is any NHL stuff on it. I’ve seen those commercials where you can watch NBA games in VR, and the app says you can watch hockey too, but I’m not sure how that works

also just any good games

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Superhot is a must for me (think matrix meets john wick)

Red Matter is probably the most graphically impressive game for quest (exlcuing rift link titles)

Dead and Buried 2

Vader

Espire is a new one

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Superhot is a must for me (think matrix meets john wick)

Red Matter is probably the most graphically impressive game for quest (exlcuing rift link titles)

Dead and Buried 2

Vader

Espire is a new one

I played super hot on Xbox and loved it, can only imagine how much better it will be in VR

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
bump

anyone have any recommendations for a new owner of one of these? just got one

wondering if there is any NHL stuff on it. I’ve seen those commercials where you can watch NBA games in VR, and the app says you can watch hockey too, but I’m not sure how that works

also just any good games

Pistol Whip is a must get. Entire Vader series.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I really want to get the oculus link cable as i just built a gaming PC and with the cable, i can supposedly use my PC's GPU for better graphics/more enhanced games.

Problem is the cable is $80! for just a 3.0 USBC to USB C cable

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I got $300 in Amazon gift cards and am considering picking this up.

How well does it work in small rooms? A decent amount of videos to watch (thinking IMAX dome theater experience)?

The thing that has been holding me back from VR is the base station set up and open space needed for VR but I think the Quest has cameras embedded that can track motion?

Last edited:

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

How well does it work in small rooms? A decent amount of videos to watch (thinking IMAX dome theater experience)?

The thing that has been holding me back from VR is the base station set up and open space needed for VR but I think the Quest has cameras embedded that can track motion?

Quest is basically plug and play. You don’t need to setup sensors and hang wires all over the place. it has 4 cameras on the front that tracks everything, some point this year they are ditching the controllers and it will detect your hands.

they recommend that you play in a 6x6 space but I have played games in smaller spaces and been fine. Just make sure you setup the boundaries a little from obstructions.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

I use mine in a smallish area, maybe like 8' wide and 6' front and back

Hit my hand off something once or twice but no biggie

Reactions: Daxi

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Just ordered one of these today and it'll be here in 2 weeks. I noticed that VR stuff is kinda hard to come by and is often out of stock. Why is that? Demand not large enough yet to make large quantities I assume?

Anyways I have been wanting to get into VR gaming for a while now so I was between this and the PSVR and I finally decided on this...hope I made the right choice as I did like some of the exclusive titles on PSVR, but I also am planning on getting the Oculus Link cable with this to use on my gaming PC so I figured that would have a better selection. Hope I made the right choice but I'm excited to try it out...pretty much only hear good things when it comes to this headset outside of it's comfort on your head and the battery life

Reactions: Daxi and GreytWun

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Just ordered one of these today and it'll be here in 2 weeks. I noticed that VR stuff is kinda hard to come by and is often out of stock. Why is that? Demand not large enough yet to make large quantities I assume?

Anyways I have been wanting to get into VR gaming for a while now so I was between this and the PSVR and I finally decided on this...hope I made the right choice as I did like some of the exclusive titles on PSVR, but I also am planning on getting the Oculus Link cable with this to use on my gaming PC so I figured that would have a better selection. Hope I made the right choice but I'm excited to try it out...pretty much only hear good things when it comes to this headset outside of it's comfort on your head and the battery life

Nice, I ordered directly from Oculus back in mid January and I have an early March ship date. They happened to be sold out on Amazon at the time for Canada and third party sellers were selling at huge mark-ups so I went to Oculus store.

I've been debating cancelling and re-ordering through Amazon because Oculus seems to have them back in stock but as far as I can tell Oculus Store is significantly cheaper depending on if duties/taxes are included. If not I won't save anything but I'm kind of curious if I can save that money, it would be nice.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Nice, I ordered directly from Oculus back in mid January and I have an early March ship date. They happened to be sold out on Amazon at the time for Canada and third party sellers were selling at huge mark-ups so I went to Oculus store.

I've been debating cancelling and re-ordering through Amazon because Oculus seems to have them back in stock but as far as I can tell Oculus Store is significantly cheaper depending on if duties/taxes are included. If not I won't save anything but I'm kind of curious if I can save that money, it would be nice.

I bought a Rift S from the Oculus store during their boxing week sale. It said they were out of stock for a few days and I had a shipping date in mid January, but it ended up getting here before it was even supposed to have shipped, so I think they are just overly cautious with their promises. There were no duties/taxes either, it said $469.99 and that was what showed up on my card.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I bought a Rift S from the Oculus store during their boxing week sale. It said they were out of stock for a few days and I had a shipping date in mid January, but it ended up getting here before it was even supposed to have shipped, so I think they are just overly cautious with their promises. There were no duties/taxes either, it said $469.99 and that was what showed up on my card.

I ended up getting it last Friday.

I'm getting a strong binocular effect and these clear circles and I have no idea what the distance between my eyes is. Never needed glasses. Trying to find easiest way to measure that.

To deal with the binocular effect I'm thinking my eyes need to be physically closer? So I might order some thinner padding and replace current padding

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I have no clue how to measure pupillary distance, I just kind if played around with the settings until it felt good. I find I don't have a problem unless something comes right up to my face, i have no clue why anyone does that in their content. It also helps if you turn your head/body often and keep what you're looking at centered rather than moving your eyes or using peripheral vision. My oculus has just been a beat sabre machine lately though, and I never have any problems with that game.

Reactions: Daxi

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I have no clue how to measure pupillary distance, I just kind if played around with the settings until it felt good. I find I don't have a problem unless something comes right up to my face, i have no clue why anyone does that in their content. It also helps if you turn your head/body often and keep what you're looking at centered rather than moving your eyes or using peripheral vision. My oculus has just been a beat sabre machine lately though, and I never have any problems with that game.

Yeah I just don't really know. Maybe this weekend I'll try tightening it once I have it on my head. I'll order that replacement padding to try to get the lenses closer to my eyes.

It's definitely a cool experience and I'll be picking up some games soon, I just want to work out the comfort issue. I tried the beat saber demo and it's great, I'll definitely be picking it up. Also you're right, if I move my head much more than my eyes, it improves things a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad