GDT: October 21st at 7:00pm Blue Jackets @ Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Toronto Maple Leafs Record (5-3-1) Need to get on a streak

Projected Lineup: Most likely same as Saturday starting lineup... but these were the lines at practice yesterday...

Most likely Johnnson in... but if anyone sees an update feel free to post

Columbus Blue Jackets Record (3-3-2) par

Projected Lineup:

This could be different. Couldn't find a more recent update on their lineup. Correct if way off. Thanks.

The Columbus Blue Jackets hope to play themselves out of a rut when they visit the Toronto Maple Leafs on Monday.

The Blue Jackets are coming off consecutive 3-2 overtime losses -- Friday against the Chicago Blackhawks on the road and Saturday against the New York Islanders at home.

"(We) really should've won both these games," Blue Jackets defenseman Seth Jones said. "They just made the plays in overtime to win. That's all that mattered, that's all it comes down to."

The Maple Leafs are coming off a 4-3 overtime victory Saturday over the visiting Boston Bruins in their first game without team captain John Tavares, who will be out at least two weeks with a broken finger.

Maple Leafs defenseman Morgan Rielly, whose two goals Saturday included the game-winner, said pulling out the win under the circumstances was big.

"A team within the division, not having (Tavares), just kind of a point in our year where we want to get going, and I think we answered the bell," Rielly said. "Not as clean as we wanted to win, but we got it done anyways, so we'll take it."

Columbus isn't always getting it done, but it is consistently competitive. The Blue Jackets have played in six straight one-goal games, winning three and losing three.

On Saturday, Columbus gave up the overtime goal when Cam Atkinson left the defensive zone anticipating a breakout pass.

"We can't have a guy leaving the zone before we have control of the puck tonight, and it ends up in the back of the net," Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella said after the game. "It's frustrating for me when we play the absolute right way all night long here being above the puck and then we end up with a blown coverage and some cheating and it ends up in the back of our net.
"It's a huge point that goes by the boards again."

The Maple Leafs, who defeated the Blue Jackets 4-1 in Columbus on Oct. 4, have won three of their past four games after losing three in a row.

"We want to start stringing some wins together," said Toronto goaltender Frederik Andersen, who made 43 saves on Saturday. "We know we haven't been as consistent as we'd like, but this was a good test for us, and hopefully we can build on this."

With Tavares out, Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock moved right winger Mitchell Marner onto a line with center Auston Matthews, which creates a potent combination. Babcock said the two likely will be on the same line on Monday.

"We haven't played with each other much, but I think every time we get paired up together, we get pretty excited out there," Matthews said.

Toronto had one reported injury Saturday, with Andreas Johnsson missing the third period after blocking a shot with his leg in the second. X-rays were negative, but he did not practice Sunday.

"I think he's going to be fine," Babcock said.
As for the win over Boston, Babcock said: "I don't know if it's a statement game, but what I'd say to you is that it was more important for our team than their team. It was important because (Tavares) was out, to find a way to win it, and it was probably even more important when we lost (Johnsson) that we got it done."

--Field Level Media

Reactions: bax

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
oh there is a game. i didn't wear leaf gear but i am wearing a blue and silver top so i guess that counts.
let's hope we win.

Reactions: al secord

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

All Babcock jokes aside, it's crazy watching guys just bounce of Moore's back when he shields the puck down low. Both he and Timashov are great examples of small (height) guys using their low COG to get the better of bigger guys. Its players like this that really buck the "have to be big to be tough" notions. But we all know Dubas hates grit...right?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
All Babcock jokes aside, it's crazy watching guys just bounce of Moore's back when he shields the puck down low. Both he and Timashov are great examples of small (height) guys using their low COG to get the better of bigger guys. Its players like this that really buck the "have to be big to be tough" notions. But we all know Dubas hates grit...right?

He is a smart kid as well, not going way out of his weight class with guys like Chara + Carlo.

We should absolutely be running Krug, Grzelcyk and even McAvoy all the time.

Reactions: kb

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
It will get reviewed as much as the Chara sucker punch on JT when Bergeon is bear hugging JT.

That should be a suspension, not becaus that would cause serious injury but because that you can’t use sticks as weapons. Didn’t Phil kessel get suspended for those pre season hacks on that mammoth from buffalo?

Surprised muzzin didn’t blow up I would have lost it

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It blows my mind Timashov got literally bear tackled in the last segment, with the puck nowhere near them, and no call was made.

Had he not been held down, he would have been able to support the defence at the blue line, potentially keeping the puck in.

Last edited:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Fn hate that little rat with a passion

I knew he did that too. Think I mentioned it in the game thread, as many other people pointed out.

But you know... they're such a "clean" team.

Refs were brutal. I've said it about 10 times now... but everytime they play Boston its such a joke.

Be prepared for more of the same tomorrow.. especially in Boston. If Leafs end up with more power plays I'd be very surprised.

How Refs don't catch a spear is terrible though... its like to suspend Marchand now he has to do worst then a regular player because he's set a whole new standard for cheap shots.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Un-fricken-believable

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

What I like is on the first play when Krug made a really dangerous play by suddenly turning and leaving his back to the player (defensemen who do that are just asking to get hurt), Timashov does not nail him enough to get a penalty but still doesn't let him get away with making the move.

That's smart hitting. Kadri has hit people in those situations but it usually ends up being a penalty or a suspension.

Reactions: Koolboss

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
What I like is on the first play when Krug made a really dangerous play by suddenly turning and leaving his back to the player (defensemen who do that are just asking to get hurt), Timashov does not nail him enough to get a penalty but still doesn't let him get away with making the move.

That's smart hitting. Kadri has hit people in those situations but it usually ends up being a penalty or a suspension.
It's great to watch guys who hit and play physical while knowing perfectly where "the line" is, and how to not cross it. This Leafs team will never be the most physical, but it's shifts like those that go a long way, especially come playoffs.

Damn that sounded like a good riddance Kadri post but it wasn't meant to be.

Cleetus

Brick Woll
Jan 2, 2012
North!
wow after listening to Babs I got the Sir-mix a-lot Baby got back on repeat playing now lol. Lets get 2 points tonight!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's great to watch guys who hit and play physical while knowing perfectly where "the line" is, and how to not cross it. This Leafs team will never be the most physical, but it's shifts like those that go a long way, especially come playoffs.

Damn that sounded like a good riddance Kadri post but it wasn't meant to be.

Just a recent and relevant example.

It's nothing against Kadri as much as how people get penalized for dangerous moves made by defensemen. A lot of the time you just wonder what the heck a forward, who is already engaging the defenseman, is supposed to do when the defenseman makes a sudden move that makes them more vulnerable? Not hit them and just let them blow right by you? Put your stick in there and likely trip them? Hit them and risk retribution? Timashov showed what you do to make them pay the price but not get penalized for it.

horner

May 22, 2007

I hope Muzzin catches him with his head down and dummies him .
dreams do come true.
he Spears Muzzin no investigation by the NHL .
should be called the Boston NHL .

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

To me what is particularly interesting about Marchand is he might be one of the dirtiest players in the league but relative to other players eh. Kadri, he somehow gets treated differently. Remember when he went on his little ‘licking’ spree. The NHL was like ‘hey knock it off’ like their talking to a buddy of theirs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I hope Muzzin catches him with his head down and dummies him .
dreams do come true.
he Spears Muzzin no investigation by the NHL .
should be called the Boston NHL .
Boston game is tomorrow, Columbus tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->