October 19th Event: Panthers hosting Equality Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
:shakehead sorry, but they should be making steps to ensure everyone's safety. Sexual orientation shouldn't matter. You're a human, that's all that matters.

One of the worst teams in all of pro sports the last 15 years and what're we gonna do? Have an 'equality' night. Sound like a ploy to get butts in the seats, the higher ups don't care about your family anymore than they care about anyone else's.

And for what it's worth, I don't care what people decide to go to bed with, I want a sport. I don't want politics mixed in.

Some fair points, but I would add to it that I am me, and my family is my family. We are humans, not a political agenda. My being here isn't politics, it's the mere fact that LGBT individuals exists. I don't really understand why anyone would pooh-pooh efforts to increase and diversify a fanbase regardless of their team's circumstances. That the LGBT demographic has oft been ridiculed or made to feel uncomfortable inside the world of sports is exactly why it's beneficial for teams to reach out.

Might as well let Michael Yormark say it for me:
via @darrenrovell: Florida Panthers president & CEO @panthersyormark: "The gay population is a group we are trying to reach and better understand."

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
atleast, if we please the LGBT community, we might get some sick designs of jerseys and merch

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
:shakehead sorry, but they should be making steps to ensure everyone's safety. Sexual orientation shouldn't matter. You're a human, that's all that matters.

Groups target specific problems to make them easier to tackle. Sounds like someone ranting that some scientist are trying to cure cancer when they should try to cure all diseases!
The problem is that it stills matter to many people because there is discrimination against people from the LGBT community.

One of the worst teams in all of pro sports the last 15 years and what're we gonna do? Have an 'equality' night. Sound like a ploy to get butts in the seats, the higher ups don't care about your family anymore than they care about anyone else's.

The Panthers needs to find innovative ways to get people in the seat because otherwise people don't. Also, I don't know what 15 years of losing has anything to do with having an equality night. Are you suggesting that the Panthers brass were too busy with equality night that it's the reason the Panthers have had a poor product for more than a decade?

And for what it's worth, I don't care what people decide to go to bed with, I want a sport. I don't want politics mixed in.

Sports is a business like every other. Equality night is marketing (and helping a cause)and pandering to market share just as much as visiting the military and stunts like that. I bet you are against the Governor's Cup because it will help children, something the politic should take care of.

atleast, if we please the LGBT community, we might get some sick designs of jerseys and merch

Haha, I actually rather like the Panthers primary jerseys. The palm tree shoulder patch is great. In trying to sell hockey to a place that usually doesn't get natural snow/ice, I think that thinking outside the box is necessary. I wish certain original six teams (aka all of them) would get more fun with their jersey designs.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
And then some (in after the close ;) ).

This should have been nothing more than an informational thread at best - post that they're having the night, what it's about, and then close it to discussion. This isn't the politics forum and since it was inevitable that politics would be brought into any discussion, the thread had no room for discussion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad