GDT: October 16th Leafs at Caps 7:00pm on SN1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Leafs 4-2-1 (Record is getting there)

Projected lineup:

but.... Hutch is in.. and 4th line probably still in too. Also Moore most likely stays up on JT's line.

Capitals 3-2-2 (Record about right... there D isn't as good)

Projected lineup:

The Toronto Maple Leafs visit the Washington Capitals on Wednesday riding a brief two-game winning streak that has been fueled by an impressive offense.

Toronto scored four goals in the second period Tuesday in a 4-2 victory over the visiting Minnesota Wild, and the Maple Leafs netted five goals in their previous game. That firepower should give Washington a test, as the Capitals have been struggling on defense and in areas such as forechecking.

In the Tuesday win, Maple Leafs defenseman Morgan Rielly tied a franchise record with four assists in the middle period -- getting a helper on each goal -- while Mitchell Marner contributed a goal and two assists.

The Maple Leafs announced that with his third assist of the night, Rielly became the 29th player in team history to reach 200 helpers.

The four goals came in the first 13:05 of the period and turned the game around, something that coach Mike Babcock enjoyed seeing.

"The first 15 minutes of that second period was real good," he said. "It was a good 15 minutes for us. We played right. It was good."
The Leafs got strong play from their third and fourth lines Saturday during a 5-2 win over the Detroit Red Wings, a result that snapped a three-game losing streak. After the win against Minnesota, Babcock told the media that his fourth line played well for the second straight game on Tuesday.

If that continues, it would give the Leafs' offense even more punch since Toronto's top two lines feature productive players such as Auston Matthews, who ranks second in NHL with seven goals.

The Maple Leafs made a move on Monday, recalling defenseman Kevin Gravel from the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League. Defenseman Rasmus Sandin was loaned to the Marlies.

Toronto next goes up against a Washington defense that has struggled this season, much as it did in last year's playoffs. The Capitals come play Wednesday having lost four of their last five, including two overtime defeats. Plus, the Caps gave up six goals in two of their past three games.

Overall, the Capitals simply have not played well enough during the first part of this season. They can't seem to bring everything together.

That's why, the Washington Post reported, coach Todd Reirden shook up the lines throughout a 6-3 home loss to the Colorado Avalanche on Monday.

The Capitals gave up four goals in the first period of that game, and while they played better in the second and third periods at times, they still couldn't put everything together. Goalie Braden Holtby gave up goals on the first three shots of the game, and Reirden yanked him in favor of rookie Ilya Samsonov.

Washington can't seem to find the way to get all units playing well at the same time.
"You can lose hockey games and still play all right," center Nicklas Backstrom said to the Post. "But I think we were playing really poorly when we lost, and that's just -- we just got to change the mentality."

After his poor outing Monday, Holtby (1-1-2, 4.27 goals-against average) may or may not be back in net Wednesday. Since the defense has struggled, the Caps need the goalie to be solid.
One thing that will help the defense in the coming days is return of Michal Kempny. Reirden said Tuesday that Kempny, who has been out since late last season with a hamstring injury that required surgery, could be back for the Friday game against the New York Rangers but that he will miss the Toronto game.

--Field Level Media

Alright feeling a little more confident with the GDT. Im 1-1-0 on the season now. Keep the streak going.

Its going to be a tough go tonight though. I don't think the Leafs went to crazy last night ... so I still expect a pretty good energy level.

Go Leafs Go... let's go streaking... urrrr ... you know what Im saying.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Noticed that Matty remained on for PP2 on at least 1 occasion last night which made me think that given many want more time for PP1, why not compromise and keep Matthews or Tavares on for the full 2 minutes ??

Second unit would be stronger :

Nylander Kerfoot Matty/JT
Muzzin Barrie

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
I think Moore will stay on the Tavares line until Hyman is back with a few games under his belt

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm expecting a loss, so perhaps a pleasant surprise?

In points per game, Leafs are around 10th. - 12th. in the league?

Not horrible for a team that made so many changes over the summer.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Same here. Maybe Hutchinson can step in and stand on his head a bit? We haven't had that this season so far.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Thanks for the game thread again @Burnie97 !
See your threads do bring luck. :)
Interesting for me was Matthews goal last night (4th goal) - Matthews, Tavares and Marner were all on the ice and it was no PP. Would really love to see that more.
I really hope Babcock doesn't revert to the old lines again. That would be horrible.

Reactions: Burnie97

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Moore or Kappy is destined for the 4th line once Hyman returns. Given our depth up front, I'd be looking to move a forward for a top 4 RHD.
How bout for a pick/prospect and some cap space. Never know who will be available at the deadline.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

I agree its not horrible but despite the last two solid games from Anderson, the team is still 29th in 5v5 save % this year which is masking just how good the team has been. 1st in 5v5 corsi and 2nd in 5v5 scoring chance differential. With PP up to 8th now and PK up above average, the team is hopefully coming together and we're in for a special year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
One of these days we're going to beat a good team. Hope it happens soon, tonight would be nice!

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Moore or Kappy is destined for the 4th line once Hyman returns. Given our depth up front, I'd be looking to move a forward for a top 4 RHD.

Moore is too valuable, and kap on the 4th line - just too expensive. So yeah they'll need to do something. I don't think Petan will be here long, Beyond that, it's a tough call

Reactions: ToneDog

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Noticed that Matty remained on for PP2 on at least 1 occasion last night which made me think that given many want more time for PP1, why not compromise and keep Matthews or Tavares on for the full 2 minutes ??
Wouldn't mind Matthews setting up shop on that right side for the entire PP. The guys carrying the puck on the entries or playing in the slot might not be fresh for the entire PP though.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I think Moore will stay on the Tavares line until Hyman is back with a few games under his belt
Yup.
Gives kapanen a shot in the arm and ability to get some reps with Kerfoot.

I actually like that line... both Mikhayev and Kerfoot can compliment Kapanen in a different way. Tavares and marner require a simplified winger, not someone with their feet going 100mph without a plan.

The little play by Moore that lead to the tavares goal,is exactly the stuff that players like Hyman do without standing out

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Wouldn't mind Matthews setting up shop on that right side for the entire PP. The guys carrying the puck on the entries or playing in the slot might not be fresh for the entire PP though.
Then have Marner/Rielly and Nylander/Barrie as the puck carriers into the zone.

I don't mind having Matthews play the entire PP. He is always a threat and opens up the ice by always having a player on him.

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019

Moore should really stay there. I love Hyman's work ethic but Moore has tools that Hyman does not. It literally makes our top 2 lines look crazy dangerous. With Kappy ruining so many plays that JT line was very meh most of the time.

I hope Babcock just takes Hyman down to 3rd or 4th because Moore plays perfect style to be with JT and Marner.

Moore...Tavares...Marner
Johnsson...Matthews...Nylander
Hyman....Kerfoot...Mikheyev(great possession line)
Kappy...Gauthier....Timashov

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

10-12th is actually encouraging to me. The Leafs came into last night with near-league worst Sv% at 5v5, their stars haven't dominated as expected, and as you said a summer full of changes. Assuming Freddy goes back to being Freddy, or even close to it, Matthews, Marner, JT and co. produce consistently, the 3rd/4th lines remain as effective as they've been and the guys settle into each other more, we could see some real progress this season.

2 out of 4 points on a back to back should be the minimum, 3 is good, a 4th point is gravy. I'm still confident we can win tonight.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Anyone remember the last second half of a back to back we won? Sure seems like automatic loss night to me. Hope they prove me wrong.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad