Obviously doggin' it

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Imagine that next years draft included a generational player with more assumed talent than anyone who has ever lived.

What would happen if a GM deliberately sent his best 10 players down to the AHL/loaned them out to clubs in Europe, and called upp/signed the least talented players he could find for that season - to obviously end up dead last in the NHL (for the best chance to snatch #1 pick).

Are there any rules against deliberately tanking?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I know its a question about logistics and rules, in which I'm not sure about,

but if Dahlen was the second coming of Bobby Orr,

you might just want to finish outside the top 3 to win the lottery.

Just ask Jersey.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Would you buy a ticket to watch that?

I think that a lot of depressed fans of talentless franchises would be okay with one year of total shame, if it gave them a chance to have the best player in the history, the following 15 years.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Isn't the lottery supposed to eliminate the point of all-out tanking? In principle, there probably is nothing stopping for GM to ice a team as bad as he want's but I don't know is anyone would go to such extremes especially when finishing last doesn't guarantee you the top pick.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Isn't the lottery supposed to eliminate the point of all-out tanking? In principle, there probably is nothing stopping for GM to ice a team as bad as he want's but I don't know is anyone would go to such extremes especially when finishing last doesn't guarantee you the top pick.

And players wouldn't want to resign, sign in free-agency, etc

Look at Drouin getting sent down.

I think the question was again, logistics and honestly, I think the league would say something.

Surely there is a rulebook stipulation?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
It's happened before. Pittsburgh and Ottawa both tanked. Ottawa management even allegedly approached a group of their players and guaranteed them roster spots for the following season if they played at less than 100%, and were apparently prepared to yank their goalie in the final game of the season to ensure a loss against Buffalo to clinch the Daigle pick. Nothing came of it, except some "investigation" and maybe stern words behind closed doors from the commissioner.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
^Bribing your players is totally different than staying within the rules and trading away your top players, sending players to the minors, starting a crap goaltender.

As for the Op, you wouldn't/don't have to go to that extreme. Doesn't have to be a huge exodus of your roster.
Just take the Avalanche for instance.
They could trade Duchene for peanuts, Trade away a Barrie. Maybe a Landeskog too.
And just reap the benefits of the talent thats coming in the next 2 or 3 yrs in drafts.
It's what i'd do if i were Sakic.

Just a simple trade of Phil Kessel for peanuts landed TOR Matthews.
It's not that difficult to tank legally.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
That GM would not have a job by the time the super prodigy skates for the team. Nor the coach.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Imagine that next years draft included a generational player with more assumed talent than anyone who has ever lived.

What would happen if a GM deliberately sent his best 10 players down to the AHL/loaned them out to clubs in Europe, and called upp/signed the least talented players he could find for that season - to obviously end up dead last in the NHL (for the best chance to snatch #1 pick).

Are there any rules against deliberately tanking?

Nope, but it might spur on a rule change.

Honestly speaking, your suggestion is too complicated. Just get the team to hang out with kids with the flu for most of their charity work, accidentally give the team (or just the goalies) food poisoning, play a player 25 minutes a night to bring yourself back up the standing, until he breaks... :sarcasm:

At least you can claim you weren't tanking.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That GM would not have a job by the time the super prodigy skates for the team. Nor the coach.

This, makes no sense for any GM to do that, I'm not sure why people can't comprehend this.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

And even if you finished last, you would have an 82% chance of not having the top pick. That's the main deterrent.

Nevermind the logistics of being able to send down players without them being claimed or having the move blocked by an NMC.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I know its a question about logistics and rules, in which I'm not sure about,

but if Dahlen was the second coming of Bobby Orr,

you might just want to finish outside the top 3 to win the lottery.

Just ask Jersey.

It's true.

Just to confirm though ask Philly and Dallas, I think their chances of winning were even less likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad