Obstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokyo Bucks

Jul 27, 2005
tokyo
Are obstructions being called with the same zeal as the beginning of the season anyways? Is it still significantly different from international standards? (Though I reckon referees will be all NHL, just like in 2002.)

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
SillyRabbit said:
Will it be called like it is being called in the NHL right now? Which refs will be there? (NHL or international or both)? Anyone know the answer?

I'm not sure, but I think I remeber reading that it will be nhl standards.

Wetcoaster

SillyRabbit said:
Will it be called like it is being called in the NHL right now? Which refs will be there? (NHL or international or both)? Anyone know the answer?
Obstruction is supposed to be called to NHL standards. That should not be a problem for the players (the majority will be from the NHL) but it may be a problem for the European officials.

Four of the 10 referees and 4 of the 14 linesmen are from the NHL. The rest are international officials. It is a one referee and two linesmen officiating crew.

The NHL referees are Paul Devorski, Dan Marouelli, Don Van Massenhoven and Dennis LaRue, and the NHL linesmen are Steve Miller, Pierre Racicot, Thor Nelson and Tony Sericolo.

Steve Walkom the NHL Director of Officials said this recently:
"Our hope is simply that (the Olympic officiating standard) is more like the standard we see every night than the old NHL standard."

USA GM Don Waddell has expressed concerns that not having the two referees on the ice will not allow proper enforcement:
"I don't know why we are stuck on using a one-referee system when we have standards that are set up to best be called by a two-referee system. Now we have one guy trying to watch play by the goal line and all of the sudden there is a break and he's trying to get there to make sure there is no hooking and holding in the neutral zone."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad