Observations XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well its official, we will be playing Arizona for the first round of the playoffs.

The draft lottery is pretty convoluted and I'm not about to try and explain that.

Looks like training camp wont open before July 1.

Cities for the rounds have not been determined nor a start date.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well its official, we will be playing Arizona for the first round of the playoffs.

The draft lottery is pretty convoluted and I'm not about to try and explain that.

Looks like training camp wont open before July 1.

Cities for the rounds have not been determined nor a start date.
I am wondering now who starts?

Before the season was shut down, it was pretty obviously Saros. But he's not exactly notorious for starting well after a layoff/summer. Does that open the door for Rinne to start? You wouldn't have expected it at all before this, but is there any chance now we go back to the venerable Pekka?

It's a real short series to have to wonder about this, unfortunately. If they start Saros and he's got the October Rust factor going, or if they start Rinne and he's like he was, well, a lot of the year... you're behind the 8-ball pretty quick.

I guess if they have 3 weeks of training camp, they'll get a look and an educated guess, anyway. But game action always seems to be different. :dunno:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Before the season was shut down, it was pretty obviously Saros. But he's not exactly notorious for starting well after a layoff/summer. Does that open the door for Rinne to start? You wouldn't have expected it at all before this, but is there any chance now we go back to the venerable Pekka?

It's a real short series to have to wonder about this, unfortunately. If they start Saros and he's got the October Rust factor going, or if they start Rinne and he's like he was, well, a lot of the year... you're behind the 8-ball pretty quick.

I guess if they have 3 weeks of training camp, they'll get a look and an educated guess, anyway. But game action always seems to be different. :dunno:

Or Ingram sneaks in showing he's ready.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Its essentially a whole new season. Whatever happened prior to March you can pretty much toss out and that goes for more than just the Rinne/Saros question.

Guys will be healthy that weren't. Some will be in great shape while others aren't. I don't think you will know the answer to anything going in.

Interesting thing for us, Hynes now has a chance to insert everything he wants to basically, so who knows what we will see.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
I'm jumping ahead here but Paul initially told us that Aberg scored the 2nd goal, not Sissons in game 6. Hence the delayed hat tossing which if memory serves, he announced the correction during a TV timeout after Sissons scored the hatty.

20170522_214441.jpg

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
It's been so long since Preds hockey I've forgotten whether this year's team was any good or not.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I can see the main argument for playing out the season (money), but ultimately I'm in agreement with 303 and PF98. The summer may be too early and they're all out of sync--they aren't the teams they were, they're what you get in the fall.

One thing it has going for it is possibly attracting new fans because it's the only live thing out there. If enough people watch it they'll get interested in the story lines. But if any team member gets the virus and it runs through their team, yikes...and if it's a superstar there's really going to be hell to pay. I honestly don't think a death from it is all that likely considering their ages, but it still seems pretty risky.

Will I watch?

Yes. And I'll probably go to a watch party if it seems safe...I have Preds masks.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
it's a mistake to try to do this and not just wait for October.
I guess time will tell if it's truly a mistake or not. But it sure seems like a risky gamble with relatively low reward if it pays off. I mean sure, show me how much $$$ they're actually going to recoup doing this, maybe I'll change my mind. But I can't see how it's going to be much. No gates, a lot of logistics costs to offset whatever meagre TV and advertising revenue they get. I read that they are looking for venues which have digital advertising setups, so be ready to see stuff lighting up all over the boards when you watch a game.

Even still, if players get sick or the whole country goes into a relapse tailspin in the middle of it again, it will sure seem like a hasty and poor decision that will reflect badly on the leaders. All for a minimal revenue booster? How minimal I guess is the X million dollar question.

But yeah, I'll watch and it'll be some interesting storylines and entertainment either way.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Its essentially a whole new season. Whatever happened prior to March you can pretty much toss out and that goes for more than just the Rinne/Saros question.

Guys will be healthy that weren't. Some will be in great shape while others aren't. I don't think you will know the answer to anything going in.

Interesting thing for us, Hynes now has a chance to insert everything he wants to basically, so who knows what we will see.
Another thing they have is a LOOOOONG time to plan for their specific first opponent. Sometimes you kind of know in advance in the NHL playoffs, but a lot of times these days teams are still jockeying for spots in the standings right up until the last game.

So Hynes has probably at least a month to contrive a gameplan against Arizona. That's kind of weird.

Good luck coming up with a gameplan against our team. Our team was so inconsistent and all over the place that I have no idea what Arizona could gain from studying our season. :laugh:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I guess from a monetary POV you don't have a few expenses you normally would--travel is all but eliminated once you get to your designated city and no doubt some behind the scenes jobs may be combined so you don't have to house and feed as many people overall. I haven't read whether teams will have to stay in the complex if eliminated, so there may be some travel there. All in all it's just really weird. I hope it is successful.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
What tie breaker did we win to get the 6 seed? I am guessing it was regulation wins? We were tied in ROW but I think we had one more regulation win.

And just my 2 cents here, but for the life of me I don't understand so many talking about the risk involved in playing and it not being worth it, etc. Is anyone looking at the data??? From the CDC itself, if you are under 50, you have more risk of dying from the seasonal flu than from Covid. If you think it is too risky to play now, you may as well shut down sports for a long, long time (and even for the regular flu for that matter).

Millions of Americans are out there working right now every day. I am doing it- my wife is doing it. Grocery store workers. Restaurant workers. All of them are at WAY more risk than these athletes will be. So I just don't understand the thinking that even with all the precautions they are taking, the medical care, the testing, controlled setting, no fans, etc- so many still think that sports should not resume. To this day, someone correct me if i am wrong, not one athlete has gotten sick from this virus despite the fact that this thing was out and circulating in January and February when regular sports was going on as usual.

Again- just my 2 cents- i'll probably be in the minority.

Having said all of that, as much as i am looking forward to having it back, I think I would be totally fine if they just scrapped everything and just started the season on time in October. It seems crazy that we are probably going to have to wait 2 more months or more before the games start. That is almost as long as we have been without hockey during this shutdown, and that feels like a lifetime.

But they are at least saying that they intend on playing a full 82 game season in 2021, so that is a positive.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I have to imagine the NHL will need to be meticulous about gating the players on entry into their team camps for this. i.e. Mandatory Covid-19 testing of every single player. I suppose they won't be so kind as to publish their findings when they do that. But if some players are sitting out with non-specified "whole body injuries" what will that say?

Some members of the Senators had Covid-19 back at the start of all this.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
No matter who wins what the results will always have an asterisk.

How so?

And people need to keep in mind, the NHL wants to push this through and get as much $ saved because who knows what the situation with the virus is going to be come fall. These kind of viruses tend to go away in the summer (safer to play and carry through the rest of the season) and come back in the fall and winter when there's probably no fans in the arenas and who knows if there's even hockey then. And then the NHL is going to take a huge hit money-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad