Observations XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Blues are peaking too early imo. The only possible good news for the Preds is that they are at what I assume is their rock bottom equivalent with 1.5 months to get it together.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The Blues are we (or some of us at least) thought they were at the start of the year.
Eh part of it is they are riding a hot goaltender and Allen hasn't been as bad of late either. Yeah they are scoring more as well, but if you watch their games they are pretty much getting a ton of love from the hockey gods as well.

I figure they end up like Minnesota the year they got Dubnyk, insanely hot and then fizzled out. They have put a ton of energy into getting back in it.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Eh part of it is they are riding a hot goaltender and Allen hasn't been as bad of late either. Yeah they are scoring more as well, but if you watch their games they are pretty much getting a ton of love from the hockey gods as well.

I figure they end up like Minnesota the year they got Dubnyk, insanely hot and then fizzled out. They have put a ton of energy into getting back in it.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, right? The Blues had a ton of guys not scoring at their normal rate earlier in the year and were missing a key piece in Jaden Schwartz for a dozen or so games as well. Perron also has missed about the same.

It also doesn't help that Parayko is having an Ellis like year offensively.

I do agree that when your team is hot, you do seem to get all the bounces. Confidence is a huge factor.

Reactions: SouthNash

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, right? The Blues had a ton of guys not scoring at their normal rate earlier in the year and were missing a key piece in Jaden Schwartz for a dozen or so games as well. Perron also has missed about the same.

It also doesn't help that Parayko is having an Ellis like year offensively.

I do agree that when your team is hot, you do seem to get all the bounces. Confidence is a huge factor.

Yeah when a team is rolling they seem to get all of the bounces true. But the Blues looked really solid and *consistent* (take a note Preds) at both ends of the ice in the Minny game. Heck they even had some things not go their way - that 5on3 where they kept breaking sticks on clean looks at the goal was one that stands out just thinking about it.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Second place in the division and we all know something systemic is wrong.

In the abstract you have a point. But the reality is we all saw what this team can do when it has its act together. And we all know that if the rest of the conference wasnt collectively crapping the bed wed be in the 3C or WC1 right now..

There is absolutely reason for concern. However, there is no reason to panic or to make "blow it up" type trades.

Reactions: LCPreds

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i think the whole design of the team is wrong.

we put way too much faith in our top 4 and they have been horrible to watch a lot of nights thanks to subban and Ellis. we never did anything with our bottom pair who we have complained about for 2 years except sign an aging hamhuis at 36.

our offense is essentially a 1 line team. we aren't fast and we aren't really big.

we rode pekka in our first run and he won a vezina last year. our PP is also the worst I've seen since being a Preds fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeauxPreds1

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Please provide any post where I suggested "blow it up" type trades. I'm in the camp of coaches losing the room.

Sorry, responded to you specifically but was being more general as to the tone of the board and especially the various posters calling for massive trades.

Also thought you were being sarcastic about having a systemic problem while we sit in a good spot in the standings

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Sorry, responded to you specifically but was being more general as to the tone of the board and especially the various posters calling for massive trades.

Also thought you were being sarcastic about having a systemic problem while we sit in a good spot in the standings

Not sarcastic at all, it's more of a conundrum/curiosity that we are in this position. We all know that there is enough talent to be playing better, much better, not league leading talent but certainly can play better. Like we are in a car race, have a broken lifter and leaking oil but somehow we are still in the competition and maybe can fix it and still be in the season ending championship run.

Maybe upgrade a part or two, maybe change a member of the mechanic team. But not junk the whole thing.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
This is the first time I have been on the boards since that Vegas debacle. Could not bring myself to read or post anything.

But a couple of thoughts:

1) This whole season has felt like one big stress/mess. There have been a ton of bad moments but for my money that Vegas game was probably the worst game of the season, and maybe one of the worst games in years. I just don't know how it could get any worse. It was a pathetic, gutless, embarrassing effort. We literally looked like an AHL team out there. Ridiculous.

2) What makes it even worse is that Vegas team came in absolutely reeling- were 3-7 in last 10 and had lost 5 straight home games in regulation. And two days after completely beating us down, they go out and get shut out by an Avs team that was 1-10 in last 11. Awful, awful, awful

3) Is it possible that St Louis is going to win the division? I watched Jets/Ottawa Saturday and as bad as we were against Vegas the Jets were just as bad. They were absolutely dominated at home by Ottawa. The expected goals were something like 6-2 Ottawa. How they got a point of it I will never know. At least we lost on the road to a good team. The Jets were every bit as bad considering the opponent, probably worse.

4) When is the last time we came out and dominated a game, both on the scoreboard and in the game play itself? I am talking a complete game where we dominate play and on the scoreboard?? It almost never happens anymore. We had a couple of big wins over the Caps, but even in those games it really wasn't a dominating performance.

5) I think tonight will tell us a lot about this team. If we come out and lay another egg we might very well be done. But get a win and we might can dig out of this. Going into last weekend, by goal was 4-1 in the next 5 games. At least split the Vegas/Dallas road games, then come home and win 3 very winnable home games. We still can do that with a win tonight.

Am I confident that is going to happen?? Absolutely not

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Tonight will be telling as far as the pulse of this team goes. We all know the problems the team has right now. What really was concerning against VGK was the lack of care! The thing is they have been treading water in regards to effort for a good while now. When is the last time you saw a determined effort, a relentless forecheck.....hell even just a relentless type of game period?

Saturday was an embarrassing effort. If the team isn't embarrassed and doesn't respond tonight against a divisional rival I will be extremely worried about their mental makeup.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Looking back over the past month or so- although our D sometimes looks like hot garbage, scoring goals remains the big issue for us right now in my opinion.

On January 15, we scored 7 in a win over the Caps.
· Since that game, in 13 games, the Preds are averaging 2.6 goals per game.
· But if you exclude empty net goals, as far as “real” goals go, the we are averaging only 2.38 per game
· Have scored 2 or fewer goals in 7 of the 13
· Have scored 4+ in only 4 of the 13 (and two of those were because of empty net goals, so really only two times out of 13).

That is just not gonna cut it in today’s NHL where goal scoring is way up across the board.

I will say that I still think we are way overdue for some puck luck- one of those 6 or 7 goal games where everything goes your way. Seems like we aren’t getting many breaks at all lately (not that we deserve anything based on our play).

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Agree that it is a win, a very important win, so I will absolutely take it.

But having said that, and I don’t know if it is just me, but even though it was a W that game still was fairly aggravating to me. I think the Preds were clearly the better team in that game. The expected goals in the game were 5.22 to 3.52. (Which shows that it was definitely not a good defensive game by us).

That should not have been a game that we had to come from behind to win. It just seems like we always find a way to give up some goals and let a team stay in a game. I just want for once for us to have a complete, dominating performance- we are WAY overdue for one of those games- haven’t had one in a long time

But again, it is a big win and a very important one coming off the Vegas debacle, so I am not complaining- I will take it.

Couple of other thoughts:
We are now 4-0-1 in last 5 games in Dallas- sure doesn’t feel like that is right, does it??

We actually won the season series vs Dallas- again, maybe it’s just me but it does not feel like we did.

Going back to our home/road play- we scored 5 goals on the road against Dallas- and that is more than we scored in THREE games combined at home against them in the past 6 weeks. In those 3 games we scored a total of 4 goals. Scored 10 in two games in Dallas. Makes no sense.

That is a big win because it somewhat negates that awful Vegas game. Nothing wrong with splitting that road trip. But now we come home for 3 games at home that we HAVE to win. LA/COLORADO/EDMONTON. Normally I would be ok with taking 2 out of 3 in any stretch. But for me, there are no excuses- we HAVE to go 3-0 on this homestand because our schedule gets pretty tough after that. 2-1-0 or even 2-0-1 will be a fail to me. We will see if we can actually win all 3.

The weirdness of our schedule continues. We have still played more games than anyone in the league so you would think the schedule would let up. But not yet. Starting Thursday we have yet another brutal 4 games in 6 night stretch- and the bad thing is the final game of that stretch is at St Louis, which will be a back to back and the 4th in 6 days. Not good.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
We actually won the season series vs Dallas- again, maybe it’s just me but it does not feel like we did.

While we went 3-2 against them, they went 2-1-2 against us. So 6 points for both, so hard to say we actually 'won' the season series, and why it doesn't 'feel' like we did. .

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
As a side observation of this game, Rinne didn't appear very settled all game long. He made a couple miracle saves, especially the skate one on the wraparound, but again he appeared scrambly in net all night. Those first couple of goals aren't goals he typically allows, and it's hard to count the number of times he lost his stick going after pucks.

We haven't critisized our goaltending overly much during this funk of about the last 50 games, but the fact is our team save percentage is down around .914, very pedestrian for us. and more than a full .12 points below last years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad