Observations XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Not going to lie, I am pretty excited about this season. A full season with Turris in the 2C role. Getting to see what Tolvanen has to offer. Finding out if Hamhuis can really improve the third defensive pairing. Watching to see if Saros can continue to mature and take on a stronger workload.

There are definitely some question marks, but it's going to be fun watching things play out. The last couple of seasons have been really special, and this season looks primed to continue that trend.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
#NHLTopPlayers: Top 20 Defensemen

NHL.com puts out their list for the Top 20 D-men.

Pretty terrible rankings IMO but three Preds made it. Subban #5, Josi #7, Ellis #20

Initial thoughts are:

Suter too low
Ekholm is better than Ellis, Mcavoy (at this point), Hamilton
Ekholm didn't even make defensman on the bubble while guys like Barrie did.
Ellis probably shouldn't be on the list
Hamilton is not top 20
List seriously has Letang, Werenski, Byflugien, and Klingberg above Suter

Reactions: Enoch

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Not going to lie, I am pretty excited about this season. A full season with Turris in the 2C role. Getting to see what Tolvanen has to offer. Finding out if Hamhuis can really improve the third defensive pairing. Watching to see if Saros can continue to mature and take on a stronger workload.

There are definitely some question marks, but it's going to be fun watching things play out. The last couple of seasons have been really special, and this season looks primed to continue that trend.

Yep, honestly I'm most excited about Tolvanen. He is the shiny new toy. Realistically, I know there is a good chance that there might be a steep learning curve for him. However, you can't help but think if the coaches find ways to deploy him in situations where he can succeed he could really impress. As far as player personnel goes Tolvanen is probably the toughest challenge the coaches face this season.

He is really the only question mark. We are basically playing with the same team we were last year. All Hamhuis has to do is be as good as Emelin. I have no doubt that will happen. The Preds will be good again in the regular season. I don't expect them to be as motivated for the regular season and as such don't expect them to win the Pres trophy, conference, and division.

As far as things to look forward to in the regular season I want to see:

* If Forsberg can cement himself as a top tier W. I want to see him play a whole year and flirt with PPG. If there is ever a time for him to take the next step it feels like it should be now

* Can Joey increase his regular season production?

* Is Fiala a 20-25 goal, 50 point guy? Or is there still another level he can reach?

* Now that Bonino and Turris are settled in will they show more? We don't have the elite guys at the center position but on paper we have a pretty ideal 1 - 4 centermen. I'd like to see a little bit more out of Turris and Bones.

* How will goaltending duties be split?

* And of course Tolvanen

Last edited:

NightowlPred

Apr 7, 2017
#NHLTopPlayers: Top 20 Defensemen

NHL.com puts out their list for the Top 20 D-men.

Pretty terrible rankings IMO but three Preds made it. Subban #5, Josi #7, Ellis #20

Initial thoughts are:

Suter too low
Ekholm is better than Ellis, Mcavoy (at this point), Hamilton
Ekholm didn't even make defensman on the bubble while guys like Barrie did.
Ellis probably shouldn't be on the list
Hamilton is not top 20
List seriously has Letang, Werenski, Byflugien, and Klingberg above Suter
Man that list...ugghhh..now DP will have to offer Ryan an extra 0.5 per year.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
A little surprised Weber wasn't on that top 20 list, but he's out injured and it's a "right now" list, so maybe that explains it. Otherwise I still consider a healthy Weber a top-20 defender.

That said, how about 5 past or present Preds making up a full quarter of the list? Subban, Josi, and Ellis, plus Jones and Suter. Should have named the team the Nashville Defense Factory.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I guess with Tolvanen coming up, Salomaki signed and Gadreau in the wings we have plenty of options if Watson is suspended for a long stretch or is gone for good.... but Joel Ward is unsigned... think hed be a great add on a cheap deal if we had a spot.

And we already have our reunion tour player signed I suppose

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Was setting up an age lookup in excel and noticed that Forsberg's birthday is today, he is 24. Team average is 27. I've got scars more than twice that age.

Eeli Tolvanen 19
Kevin Fiala 22
Juuse Saros 23
Ryan Hartman 24
Filip Forsberg (A) 24
Colton Sissons 25
Viktor Arvidsson 25
Miikka Salomaki 25
Ryan Johansen (A) 26
Austin Watson 27
Calle Jarnkrok 27
Ryan Ellis (A) 28
Anthony Bitetto 28
Roman Josi (C) 28
Mattias Ekholm (A) 28
Craig Smith 29
Kyle Turris 29
P.K. Subban 29
Yannick Weber 30
Nick Bonino 30
Matt Irwin 31
Dan Hamhuis 36
Pekka Rinne 36
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Was setting up an age lookup in excel and noticed that Forsberg's birthday is today, he is 24. Team average is 27. I've got scars more than twice that age.

Eeli Tolvanen 19
Kevin Fiala 22
Juuse Saros 23
Ryan Hartman 24
Filip Forsberg (A) 24
Colton Sissons 25
Viktor Arvidsson 25
Miikka Salomaki 25
Ryan Johansen (A) 26
Austin Watson 27
Calle Jarnkrok 27
Ryan Ellis (A) 28
Anthony Bitetto 28
Roman Josi (C) 28
Mattias Ekholm (A) 28
Craig Smith 29
Kyle Turris 29
P.K. Subban 29
Yannick Weber 30
Nick Bonino 30
Matt Irwin 31
Dan Hamhuis 36
Pekka Rinne 36
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Age-wise our forwards look good for a long time, with Arvidsson, Fiala, Tolvanen, Forsberg, and Johansen. If Saros pans out goal will be good too. Defense is worrying.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Age-wise our forwards look good for a long time, with Arvidsson, Fiala, Tolvanen, Forsberg, and Johansen. If Saros pans out goal will be good too. Defense is worrying.

We definitely need to be focused on adding defensive talent via the draft to refill that pipeline.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
well, looks like the 23 man roster is all but set and it's just mid august. never seen fewer questions on the roster this early in our history. only roster puzzle now is how long watson is suspended for and whether gaudreau takes his spot and is the perma-scratch while he's gone.

still not a big fan of carrying 8 defensemen and only 13 forwards full time. but looks like poile is comfortable with it..

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
still not a big fan of carrying 8 defensemen and only 13 forwards full time. but looks like poile is comfortable with it..

All I can figure is, Poile doesn't trust ANYONE we have in the AHL as a defensive call-up, so he doesn't want to risk any possibility of Bitetto getting claimed if he tries to send him down.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
We have nobody that would benefit from playing in Milwaukee on D so might as well keep them. My question is can we replace Watson during his suspension or do we have to have only 22? I seem to recall we weren't allowed to call up a replacement for Forsberg.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We have nobody that would benefit from playing in Milwaukee on D so might as well keep them. My question is can we replace Watson during his suspension or do we have to have only 22? I seem to recall we weren't allowed to call up a replacement for Forsberg.
This one might be a bit different as it wasn't for anything on the ice. Guess we will see though.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

I fully agree with you on this. It will reduce the wear and tear on the defensemen during practice but I like having more forwards than d-men.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
You want to know who Toronto fans think is the biggest threat? Look to see who's getting the worst trades on the trad forums. Saros? You want Saros? nope.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
God some of the Saros threads just makes you pound your head on your desk from the stupidity. That said, there are some equally stupid threads from other fan bases as well. It would take a pretty clear overpayment to get him from Poile and even then it's probably going to include a proven goalie they think can handle things for the next 5-6 years coming back.

Reactions: Tex76
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad