Observations XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
A little torn about it, glad to see Trotz win it all, and certainly glad Vegas did not win, but wish we got to see the Preds win one first. I'd feel a lot better about it. Congrats to Trotz, that contract situation will be interesting to watch.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
We're talking about retooling the Preds yet the odds still hold them in high regard. Interesting. Not surprising.

There is always a certain amount of retooling to do with any team. Our second line completely vanished at ES during the playoffs this year .. we can't count on 5 playoff goals from 4th liners like Watson year in year out (and if Watson is performing at that level, he probably belongs on a different line).

The things I'm watching for over the summer are if we do in fact sign Ellis before he goes into his final season on this contract and what we do on the FA market. Outside of a blockbuster trade to move up at the draft, I'm expecting us to pick up a few serviceable players that we aren't likely to see in a Preds sweater for a couple of years.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Caps lose first 2 games at home in the first round against the BJs. Same old Caps, only worse. Trotzy is hitting his Rolodex to secure a gig for next year, Ovi proves again he's a selfish Russian who could never win the big one, and DC continues to be a blah hockey market. They go into double-OT in Game 3 and find a way to win. The rest is history. Trotz is now HOF material and can call his shots on returning or taking another job, Ovi secures his position as one of the best players ever, and the streets of DC look like the CMA Fest.

If you review the Caps Board after Game 2 in the first round, their expert fans knew specifically why they wouldn't ever win it. Not enough speed, goaltending issues, issues "in the room", and the overall feeling that their "window" had shut.

Then it didn't. Same team. Same guys. Same issues.

Moral of the story. "Ya just never know".

The formula is, have a playoff-caliber team, make changes every year to get better, and then hope they get hot at the right time. Oh, and NEVER give up on them. Stick with your team so that when last night happens, you can feel the satisfaction of being resilient and rewarded. There's no better felling in fandom. That's why so many fan bases rooted against Vegas. As a fan base, you are not allowed to skip the soul-crushing defeats and the never-ending "wait until next year".

Next to the Preds parading the Cup, Trotz winning it was the next best thing. Part of Nashville won the Cup last night via Barry Trotz. He grew up with us and will always be one-of-us. It was heart warming. In this unforgiving world, it's nice to see the good-guy prevail for a change.

So what does this all mean for us? With zero changes to this team (but there will be some), we have just as much achance of winning the Cup next year as any team in the league. Yes our 2nd line disappeared and yes our d-men weren't difference makers and yes Pekka under-performed (again). But that doesn't mean its going to happen again. If that were true, the Caps would not have the Cup right now.

I focused on Ovi and Trotzy after the win. They both reached a mountaintop the experts said they'd never reach. AND THEY EMOTIONALLY SHOWED THE GRATITUDE FOR WINNING IT ALL AFTER SO MANY DISAPPOINTMENTS. Now close your eyes and picture Pekka hoisting the Cup over his head. Picture David Poile with his eyes misty looking over his creation parading the Cup. It can happen. That's what we're fighting for.

130 days until Opening night. Can't wait.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
All the subban rumors going around make for an interesting hockey summer i guess. Do i believe any of them? Not really. I mean im not opposed if we could get a great return that would improve us up front and fill in the spot vacated on the backside adequately, but that would have to be a huge return.

I’m ok with just signing a 3rd liner or two if we stand pat but Im now at the point where i halfway expect something to happen with one of our dmen, just dont know who that would be. I wish we could get stamkos, but honestly i think thats probably a wild longshot.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I put proposals up mainly to digest how a trade could work. I'd rather keep the team as is, make an offer to Tavares. If that works try and trade Bonino for picks but as is. I'm very confident as is.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
So I woke up today and Barry Trotz and Alexander Ovechkin are Stanley Cup winners.

I was at the Air & Space Museum yesterday and was caught in the Caps crowd on the Metro and the Mall. The same thing happened a few years ago in Chicago when my nephew got married. I am starting to feel like Forrest Gump!

Trotz actually has a bit of a neck. I saw him on the video board. I am glad for Trotz and Ovie!

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Might be just me but I'd like to see something like this at the start of the next season, just to keep the forum more tidy:

In the System (AHL, ECHL and Prospect talk)
Around the NHL (Discussion about the rest of the NHL)
Observations (for stuff like 303's post-game analysis, individual and team stats and advanced stats talk etc)
Injuries (Discussion about injured players)
Trade & Free Agents (All the arm-chair stuff here)
Negativity (Debbie Downer's here)
General Discussion (Everything else)

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I'd like to have a stickied thread for basic cheers or gripes about the arena/game experience--opinions regarding game opens, bandstage singers, new gimmicks you like or don't, stuff you saw on social media that might be interesting (I am not on Instagram so I like seeing stuff from the players that others post, for example). I'm talking about a designated place to post something that is more Preds related than the OT thread, but not as in depth regarding the team performance as Observations. I think it would cut down on nonstickied threads, or at least have a place to move them to. I'd also like for the GDT and Game Day Points Thread to be stickied for the game.

Reactions: Jonesey

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
If someone wants to take point feel free.

As nice as that all sounds I'm afraid it would be an invite to rehash some of the divisions that have cropped up on the boards on the past....

...add to that it seems quite a few regulars didnt make it back after the board changeover...

Just my $0.02US of course, the board is free to do whatever.

Reactions: Jonesey

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
^^^^303, NMK, V82, triggr, handtrick (whenever you pop up) ... Love your posts. Thanks for all the insight this year.

I'm not much for voting on this kind of stuff, but you guys bring some fun analysis. I've enjoyed it for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->