Obscure NHL rules?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
You can score a goal without the puck going in the net.
Or any penalty impeding a breakaway on an empty net that would be a penalty shot is an automatic goal
Are you referring to the rule when a player throws his stick while there's a breakaway on an empty net? / I think there's also a rule for that if a goalie voluntarily dislodges the net on a breakaway

Putting your hand on the puck while in the crease on an empty net is also an automatic goal

Reactions: Puckclektr and abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It happens atleast once a game.

Once a game, there is a scrum in the offensive zone which the offensive defensemen participate and the draw goes out of the zone as a result?

I must not pay attention, because I always thought they just put it back in the O-zone lol Never realized that they put it back outside the zone BECAUSE A D WENT IN THE SCRUM

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Originally there was really no forward passing in hockey though, but that rule predates the NHL.

"No forward passing" meant that one was actually allowed to pass forward, but the receiver himself wasn't allowed to be ahead of the carrier when the latter passed the puck. You had to stay "on your own side of the puck" at all times or else you were offside.

Sounds like soccer (or real football for the Europeans on the forum)

Crazy how much the game changed

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
not so obscure, but I have to explain this to my ball hockey league at least 10 times a season when it happens:

A stoppage in play from a high stick is called when the puck is touched above the shoulders, but a goal is disallowed from a high stick when the puck is touched above the crossbar.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Once a game, there is a scrum in the offensive zone which the offensive defensemen participate and the draw goes out of the zone as a result?

I must not pay attention, because I always thought they just put it back in the O-zone lol Never realized that they put it back outside the zone BECAUSE A D WENT IN THE SCRUM
Yes, this is a pretty common occurrence and rule.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
not so obscure, but I have to explain this to my ball hockey league at least 10 times a season when it happens:

A stoppage in play from a high stick is called when the puck is touched above the shoulders, but a goal is disallowed from a high stick when the puck is touched above the crossbar.

I'm curious now. Do you play with really small people so that they can score by deflecting a puck above their shoulders (but still under the crossbar)?

I imagine it's the opposite happening though

Reactions: amnesiac

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
My fave is probably that time the coach forgot to submit the name of a player that was a game time decision to the refs and that player was sent back to the dressing room and the team played short benched. For some reason I want to say it was Torts.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
One that I like to point out to friends when we attend games is that an offensive zone draw can be moved to the neutral zone if the attacking defensemen were to join a post-whistle scrum. To a non-hockey fan, it can be a strange visual to see a scrum happen around the net and then the two attacking D are just hanging out by the blue line instead of joining in. I want to say at some point, I overheard a fan who was unaware of the rule assume that the defensemen were simply too scared to get in a fight.
Horrible rule.

Reactions: Oddbob

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Why is that?
It allows for an unfair advantage where someone could be double teamed. And then punishes the team sticking up for each other with moving the draw outside the zone. Considering there are never scrums anymore they should get rid of this rule and the instigator

Reactions: Fixxer and Oddbob

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
It allows for an unfair advantage where someone could be double teamed. And then punishes the team sticking up for each other with moving the draw outside the zone. Considering there are never scrums anymore they should get rid of this rule and the instigator

I'm not sure if the Third man in rule counts if there isn't an actual fight but if two guys are engaged and a third guy hops in it's supposed to be a misconduct.

Reactions: Fixxer

Prsut18

Jul 30, 2018
CZ
In 1931-32, the NHL instituted a rule stating that each team was allowed only one goaltender on the ice at one time.

It's like they anticipated Patrick Roy becoming an NHL coach 82 years later.

this can make a practice or warmup very hard...

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Sounds like soccer (or real football for the Europeans on the forum)

Forward passes are allowed in soccer though. You don't have to stay on your own side of the ball. The only thing that matters is that you must not be closer to the opposing goal than the last defending field player.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's the intention of the rule. If a player knows that he's going to be outnumbered, he's less likely to start shit. Without the rule there would be a major scrum every time the goalie covered a puck.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Part of Rule 31.11...
'If, through misadventure or sickness, the Referees and Linesmen appointed are prevented from appearing, the League will make every attempt to find
suitable replacement officials, otherwise, the Managers of Coaches of the two clubs shall agree on a Referee(s) and Linesman(men). If they are unable to agree, they shall appoint a player from each side who shall act as Referee and Linesman; the player of the home club acting as Referee and the player of the visiting club as Linesman.
If the regularly appointed officials appear during the progress of the game, they shall at once replace the temporary officials.'

January 15, 1983 such circumstances occured. A snowstorm up in Hartford prevented ref Ron Fournier and linesman Ron Asselstine from getting there on time. Devil Garry Howatt and Whaler Mickey Volcan were selected to assist linesman Ron Foyt (who took over as main ref) for the 1st period until the scheduled ref and linesman showed up.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I always thought hand passes being legal in the defensive zone was interesting. It’s more accurate to say that they’re not illegal. The point of the rule isn’t to allow hand passes, it’s to disallow pressured teams from getting a cheap whistle by committing a hand pass.
Still sounds like an advantage for the defensive team. Should consider making it an auto minor if done in the d zone.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Long story short: I thought that there was a rule forbidding goalies to go on their knees before Patrick Roy popularized the butterfly style, but I stumbled upon an old rule that stated that goalies had to serve their own penalties.

While searching, I also learned that if a team opted for an extra attacker (by pulling the goalie) in OT, they would be awarded a regulation loss in the scenario that the opposing team scored an empty netter.

What are some other obscure NHL rules that most people are not aware of?
A bit unrelated. What worked great between Roy and François Allaire is that Patrick liked to stop the puck on the ice and Allaire had a similar approach to goalies, to try something different.

Ok, another thing a lot of people must know, but here it goes :
Kerry-Fraser.jpg

A goal will not be allowed if the pick should strike an official and go directly into the net.

Last edited:

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Quebec getting the 1st overall instead of San Jose.
I don't know how that occured. San Jose was an expansion team. I don't know how this works. Some team had 1st overall and some haven't. OTT with Daigle 1st, TBL with Hamrlik 1st. I think Nashville got "only" a 2nd overall, picking Legwand. Vegas didn't have the 1st overall pick but we can't say they were a deprived team neither... so what about Seattle? Possibly like Vegas but it's been confusing with new teams coming into the league and which pick they get on their first draft.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
There's this weird rule if a team looses but its in overtime or a skills competition then they receieve a single point.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Still sounds like an advantage for the defensive team. Should consider making it an auto minor if done in the d zone.
I guess the rational is the ability to hand pass is less of an advantage than the ability to get a quick whistle almost at will. Also means that the play where a goalie covers and quickly scoots the puck to a teammate with his trapper doesn’t result in a stoppage.

A minor penalty would definitely make it a bigger deal. I’m not sure it has a big enough impact to merit a penalty though, most hand passes seem to occur on a batted down puck and not as an intentional maneuver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad