Obscure NHL rules?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Fair point, I guess since I didn't know about this rule I would expect the situation to be pretty rare (probably since players know) and therefore I'd think that ref's would not really implement it everytime. It's their job, but if it happens once every ten years, they might not remember it on the fly
The rule you're talking about comes into play a dozen times a game.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The rule you're talking about comes into play a dozen times a game.

Does it? That the faceoff goes to the neutral zone because the attacking defensmen goes in a scrum?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I remember that, to be fair I guess, he wore it above his eyes, he might of got one in pre-season, or he was warned.

I wonder if that was the same year, you couldn't tuck in your jersey, so as to cover, either the RBK or CCM logo.
And CCM put the logo on waynes jerseys only ,on both sides. thats one way to tell if you have a legit Gretzky jersey.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Are you referring to the rule when a player throws his stick while there's a breakaway on an empty net? / I think there's also a rule for that if a goalie voluntarily dislodges the net on a breakaway

You'd think teams and equipment managers would not risk those penalties lol. I think in terms of equipment penalties one of those is to have your shirt properly attached or something? I've heard of the "Ovy tinted visor" rule but never of that one! Good one! Leafs fans must have been pissed lol (any fans would have been pissed really)
Yes. Throwing a stick or taking the net off the mornings when there was a 2-0. Can anyone remember the name of the goalie that did that I think it was the AHL.

Reactions: Fixxer and abo9

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The earliest version of the penalty shot wasnt what is today with picking up the puck at center ice and skating in. They had to shoot the puck from like 30 feet from the goalie and were allowed like 5 feets worth of momentum. ...
To clarify, the shooter had to shoot from 38 feet away from the net (roughly at the top of the faceoff circles) and stay within a circle measuring 10 feet in diameter. Goalies had to stand within a foot of the net and stay still until the shot was taken. [Notice these restrictions were much like soccer penalty kicks today.] This NHL penalty shot rule was introduced for the 1934-35 season, and changed to the current style in 1938-39.

ETA: Per this NHL web page ...
1941-42 - Penalty shots classified as minor and major. Minor shot to be taken from a line 28 feet from the goal. Major shot, awarded when a player is tripped with only the goaltender to beat, permits the player taking the penalty shot to skate right into the goalkeeper and shoot from point-blank range. ...
I presume this rules change was only in effect for that season.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
In 1931-32, the NHL instituted a rule stating that each team was allowed only one goaltender on the ice at one time.

It's like they anticipated Patrick Roy becoming an NHL coach 82 years later.

Reactions: abo9

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Oops, it was only in the offensive zone , no forward pass
Was changed in 1929/30 season

Originally there was really no forward passing in hockey though, but that rule predates the NHL.

What do you mean? Like, you could not pass in front of you ever?

That would be crazy, and so different than today's hockey!

"No forward passing" meant that one was actually allowed to pass forward, but the receiver himself wasn't allowed to be ahead of the carrier when the latter passed the puck. You had to stay "on your own side of the puck" at all times or else you were offside.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Originally there was really no forward passing in hockey though, but that rule predates the NHL.

"No forward passing" meant that one was actually allowed to pass forward, but the receiver himself wasn't allowed to be ahead of the carrier when the latter passed the puck. You had to stay "on your own side of the puck" at all times or else you were offside.

The expectation was that the team advanced the puck by carrying it. Same as in football before the forward pass, which was seen as cheating. You created better ways to advance it by moving it around the group of players that were moving down the ice/field, but the idea that you could just fling the puck/ball forward to someone who had raced up ahead of the carrier took time to develop.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... "No forward passing" meant that one was actually allowed to pass forward, but the receiver himself wasn't allowed to be ahead of the carrier when the latter passed the puck. You had to stay "on your own side of the puck" at all times or else you were offside.
Much like rugby. A lot of the North American ice hockey rules were patterned after Northern European field sports rules.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The expectation was that the team advanced the puck by carrying it. Same as in football before the forward pass, which was seen as cheating. You created better ways to advance it by moving it around the group of players that were moving down the ice/field, but the idea that you could just fling the puck/ball forward to someone who had raced up ahead of the carrier took time to develop.

Much like rugby. A lot of the North American ice hockey rules were patterned after Northern European field sports rules.

Right. It was a game of carrying, not of passing.

Reactions: Fixxer

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
The earliest version of the penalty shot wasnt what is today with picking up the puck at center ice and skating in. They had to shoot the puck from like 30 feet from the goalie and were allowed like 5 feets worth of momentum. And the full 2 minute of a penalty was served no matter how many goals were scored.
i guess Hollywood still thinks those are the rules. Drives me crazy when there is a penalty shot or a breakaway in a movie and a player always comes to a complete stop from full speed just past the blue line and then winds up and takes a slap shot. I just watched Van Wilder last night and Tara Reade Did the exact same thing.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I guess that's why CCM, Koho, Reebok, and Adidas eventually decided to put their logos on the back of the jerseys above the players name.

I'm sure one of those uniform sites have the specifics, but off the top of my head:

- 90s - teams were allowed to negotiate on their own with jersey manufacturers. There were years where you might see Detroit/Philadephia/Anaheim with Nike, while others had CCM, etc. Logos were only permitted to be at the bottom of the jersey
- 2000-01 - CCM got exclusive rights on all jerseys and that was the first year the NHL allowed the manufacturer logo over the nameplate. They split it between CCM (home whites) and Koho (away darks, CCM owned the Koho brand).
- 2005-06 - Reebok had bought CCM, so they inherited the jersey contract. I forget which year it was, but the early jerseys out of the lockout had the Reebok logo but eventually were switched over to the Reebok name.

635575398286265737-LETTERMANHOCKEY.jpg

At least with hockey jerseys, I'm a bit OCD with having the correct "make" to match the player and/or Stanley Cup patch. Ie, in 1995 the Devils won with the CCM on the lower back. In 2000, that was the sole year they switched to Pro Player and in 2003 the league had switched to the CCM/Koho with the logo over the nameplate.

0.jpg

b8a1f88e85a93d790b36f778e3ea9341.jpg

2003_New_Jersey_Devils.jpg

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Pregame lineups, including the 6 starters, are presented to the refs. If your 6 starters do not match the 6 on the the Pregame lineup, the offending team is assessed a penalty.

I don't know if its still on the books, but a couple years back they introduced a rule that a penalty would be assessed if your jersey was tucked in to the point of obscuring the number or nameplate. The only time I've seen it called was in a preseason game when Alex semin's jersey got stuck in his chest pad after winding up for a slapshot.

Reactions: abo9

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Fair point, I guess since I didn't know about this rule I would expect the situation to be pretty rare (probably since players know) and therefore I'd think that ref's would not really implement it everytime. It's their job, but if it happens once every ten years, they might not remember it on the fly
It probably happens more than 10 times per season...

Reactions: Fixxer

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
NHL Rule 56.2: Should a player about to come onto the ice, play the puck while one or both skates are still on the players' or penalty bench, a minor penalty for interference shall be assessed. The vast majority of the time, a player coming out of the penalty box simply joins the action or skates to the bench.

Inevitably a player coming out of the box wanting a breakaway plays the puck before both skates touch the ice. I've seen that, but don't recall seeing it called on a player leaving the regular bench.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sure one of those uniform sites have the specifics, but off the top of my head:

- 90s - teams were allowed to negotiate on their own with jersey manufacturers. There were years where you might see Detroit/Philadephia/Anaheim with Nike, while others had CCM, etc. Logos were only permitted to be at the bottom of the jersey
- 2000-01 - CCM got exclusive rights on all jerseys and that was the first year the NHL allowed the manufacturer logo over the nameplate. They split it between CCM (home whites) and Koho (away darks, CCM owned the Koho brand).
- 2005-06 - Reebok had bought CCM, so they inherited the jersey contract. I forget which year it was, but the early jerseys out of the lockout had the Reebok logo but eventually were switched over to the Reebok name.

635575398286265737-LETTERMANHOCKEY.jpg

At least with hockey jerseys, I'm a bit OCD with having the correct "make" to match the player and/or Stanley Cup patch. Ie, in 1995 the Devils won with the CCM on the lower back. In 2000, that was the sole year they switched to Pro Player and in 2003 the league had switched to the CCM/Koho with the logo over the nameplate.

0.jpg

b8a1f88e85a93d790b36f778e3ea9341.jpg

2003_New_Jersey_Devils.jpg
I remember that because in the 1998-99 season the Maple Leafs jerseys were made by Nike and for the 1999-00 season they switched to CCM.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It happens atleast once a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad