Obscure hockey facts/stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Zigmund Palffy has a son, who also plays professional hockey. But his surname isn't Palffy.

Does he? Eliteprospects is usually pretty good at keeping track of that, and has no son listed for Palffy.

That said, it would not be the first time that happened: Jiri Bubla's son was Jiri Slegr. Both played for the Vancouver Canucks at one point, too.

SabbathBloodySabbath

Oct 8, 2017
Erþō
Reactions: kaiser matias

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

Thanks for that.

Palffy's page doesn't have a link, weird.

Just doing some reading up on this, guess Palffy had a short relationship with someone in Slovakia, and then spent years denying he was the father. It was only years later when Hudec started playing in the Slovak league that they even met, set up by Jozef Stumpel.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
How many players have played for a team whose nickname (or singular term of team nickname) is the same as their last name?

Dwight King of the LA Kings is the only one I can think of but there have been many NHL players with the last name King. The only other possibilities I see are if there were players with last names like Ranger, Leaf, or Knight that played for those teams.
The Caps drafted Bear Hughes last month. Assuming he signs an ELC with them, and the Caps don't change affiliates by then, he could play for the Hershey Bears in the AHL in a couple years.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Hockey Dweeb

Nov 9, 2020
the New Jersey Devils never traded for Miroslav Satan. he would have been the ultimate Devils marketing gimmick.

95Tal

Jan 15, 2019
Portland, Oregon
I never would have guessed that Jari Kurri was the fifth-fastest player to score 1,000 pts. (or sixth if you consider that Gretzky holds the first two spots due to scoring 1,000 pts. twice). Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Peter Stastny...then Kurri.

Reactions: The Pale King

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I never would have guessed that Jari Kurri was the fifth-fastest player to score 1,000 pts. (or sixth if you consider that Gretzky holds the first two spots due to scoring 1,000 pts. twice). Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Peter Stastny...then Kurri.
Jari Kurri in his prime (say, 1982-83 through 1988-89) remains one of the very finest players I've ever seen. One season he scored 90 goals (RS + playoffs) in 91 games, and, as Mark Messier said, "probably should have won the Selke".

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
[Deleting first point here as I clearly need to check more carefully! Nevertheless:]

Zarley Zalapski and Mariusz Czerkawski are the only players in history to have 'z's in both their first and last names (I think).

(Full credit to @DeysArena for pointing out Czerkawski, whom I overlooked!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Frank McGee, star of the Silver Seven dynasty, was the nephew of Darcy McGee, the Father of Confederation assassinated in 1868.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
In NHL (or WHA) history, there are only two players with a 'z' in their first or last names where the 'z' is not the initial letter:

- Zellio Toppazzini (played for Chicago in the 1950s)
- Steve Yzerman
(unless you want to count Michael Del Zotto, in which case there are three)

Zarley Zalapski is the only player in history to have 'z's in both his names.
What about Mariusz Czerkawski?

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
In NHL (or WHA) history, there are only three players with a 'z' in their first or last names where the 'z' is not the initial letter:

- Zellio Toppazzini (played for Chicago in the 1950s)
- Steve Yzerman
- Mariusz Czerkawski
(unless you want to count Michael Del Zotto, in which case there are four)

Zarley Zalapski and Mariusz Czerkawski are the only players in history to have 'z's in both names.
(Full credit to @DeysArena for pointing out Czerkawski, whom I overlooked!)

And Walt Tkaczuk, Kozlov, Kuznetsov... Have you really thought this through? :)

Reactions: Doctor No

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Wayne Gretzky twice scored 27 points against one team in a single regular season.

These were:

-- 1983-84 vs. Winnipeg
In 8 games, Gretzky scored 16 goals, 11 assists, 27 points, and was +12. (He took only 32 shots on goal, meaning that 50% of his shots that season against Winnipeg went in!)

-- 1985-86 vs. Los Angeles
In 8 games, Gretzky scored 6 goals, 21 assists, 27 points, and was +13.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I count 37 NHL goaltenders who meet this criterion, including such luminaries as Georges Vezina, Olaf Kolzig, Ilya Bryzgalov, Peter Sidorkiewicz, Roger Crozier, Wade Dubielewicz, and Petr Mrazek.

Just off the top of my head, Jason Muzzati, Mark Fitzpatrick, Pavel Francouz, Manny Fernandez...

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I stand by my (half-assed) assertion about the rarity of the double-'z's in the names of Zarley Zalapski and Mariusz Czerkawski !! (even though the latter wasn't my assertion)

(Waits for someone to point out that Alizee Zalizki played for the Montreal Maroons in 1929....)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Unless someone else has done it recently, I believe the only NHL players whose last names were palindromes are Joel Otto, Gary Lupul and Joffrey Lupul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->