Obscure hockey facts/stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I can be wrong but based on Elite Prospects, Jake Milford never played for Springfield nor Buffalo.

Interesting, according to hockeydb he never played for either either. I just wonder how accurate those old records are.

The info I got was from a book called "The Official Registry of the Game's Honour Roll" Hockey Hall of Fame. Copyright 1996.

I did come across these :

- Milford, John Calverly (Jake) | Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame

- Jake Milford Hockey Card - The Broderick Collection | HockeyGods

- Jake Milford | Prince Edward Island Sports Hall of Fame | PEI Sports Hall of Fame

- Jake Milford one of NHLs finest general managers | The Journal Pioneer

- Milford, Jake -- Biography -- Honoured Builder -- Legends of Hockey

- 100 Things Canucks Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die

*now my interest is piqued and I'm going to look into this more, I have found a couple of different names for the AHL and perhaps it was before they officially changed for good to the AHL name*

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
re: Nighbor

How common was it for a player to play a full game around that time?
Hockey-Reference.com lists only 10 players on the 1922-23 Ottawa roster, with the typical single goalie & just 4 forwards (with Frank Nighbor listed as the Senators' only centreman). H-R records show the Sens' 3 NHL opponents that season (MTL Canadiens, TOR St. Patricks & HAM Tigers) had rosters of 11 or 12 men, so I'd conclude that skaters often played the majority of a game but they usually had enough players to afford occasional substitutions. The six full-game streak by Nighbor seems to have been a matter of stamina AND roster situation.

Reactions: Staniowski

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
In the 40-41 season Bill Cowley earned 45 assists shattering Joe Primeaus mark by 8 to become the first player to record more assists in a season than any other player has points. He won the scoring title by 18 points with 62 points.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Someone had better alert The Hall , then, because @lapyi's post is backed by Milford's HHOF Legends of Hockey page. :dunno:

I did come across this piece of literature today :

It was an article written by Glen R. Goodhand and was posted November 25, 2015 for SIHR.

How Much is a Body Worth?

Near the bottom it reads ;

In the New Millennium, of course, another buzz word applies to such skimpy transactions. They speak of a player being dealt “for a bag of pucks”—meaning the least possible outlay for the buyer.

Perhaps this is a good time to repudiate a popular tale which has been promulgated with more than one twist—but is still fiction. Originally (as always) it involved Eddie Shore and his cheapskate ways. The story goes that he once traded Jake Milford from Springfield to the Buffalo Bisons for two goal nets—and was upset when he discovered they were used. Problem is—Jake Milford never played for either Springfield or Buffalo. The later version has John Baby as the pawn, dispensed to Victoria—for one Art Ross net—and that it was only one because he wasn’t worth two. But he didn’t commence his pay-for-play tenure until long after Shore’s reign, and didn’t skate for either Springfield or Victoria. **

Reactions: JMCx4

Dump and Chase Demon

Sep 14, 2018
Sweden
I did come across this piece of literature today :

It was an article written by Glen R. Goodhand and was posted November 25, 2015 for SIHR.

How Much is a Body Worth?

Near the bottom it reads ;

In the New Millennium, of course, another buzz word applies to such skimpy transactions. They speak of a player being dealt “for a bag of pucks”—meaning the least possible outlay for the buyer.

Perhaps this is a good time to repudiate a popular tale which has been promulgated with more than one twist—but is still fiction. Originally (as always) it involved Eddie Shore and his cheapskate ways. The story goes that he once traded Jake Milford from Springfield to the Buffalo Bisons for two goal nets—and was upset when he discovered they were used. Problem is—Jake Milford never played for either Springfield or Buffalo. The later version has John Baby as the pawn, dispensed to Victoria—for one Art Ross net—and that it was only one because he wasn’t worth two. But he didn’t commence his pay-for-play tenure until long after Shore’s reign, and didn’t skate for either Springfield or Victoria. **

Myth debunked! :thumbu:

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
John Calverley (Jake) Milford, who was once traded for two used hockey nets, swapped his sunglasses for an umbrella Tuesday He moved from Los Angeles to Vancouver. Milford officially signed a contract to manage Vancouver Canucks for the next two National Hockey League seasons, and his first order of business will be to meet his new employees.

"When I was playing in the minor pro leagues with Springfield, Eddie Shore traded me to Buffalo for a couple of used Art Ross nets. "You have to run a hockey club with your head and not your heart."

I guess we could take the word from the man himself though.

The Vancouver Sun from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada on June 1, 1977 · 28

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

Unless he was playing up to the "history" of the event.

Further research is required I suppose.

Need to find if he played for Springfield when it was in a different named league. I also came across the fact that Springfield had actually moved to Buffalo for a couple of seasons before going back to Springfield at one point, it was right around WWII I think.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Unless he was playing up to the "history" of the event.

Further research is required I suppose.

Need to find if he played for Springfield when it was in a different named league. I also came across the fact that Springfield had actually moved to Buffalo for a couple of seasons before going back to Springfield at one point, it was right around WWII I think.

Jake Milford played for New Haven Eagles in the American Hockey League in 1945-46 season. The team was operated by Eddie Shore (it's not on his resume in Eliteprospects but he did indeed operate the team).

Aug. 30, 1945
Eddie Shore, owner of the Springfield Indians' suspended hockey franchise, will operate the New Haven Eagles in the American Hockey League during the coming season, Shore announced here today. Shore said he had leased the New Haven Arena under a contract calling for one season of hockey operation with the option of renewing. He will not operate ice shows and similar events. The veteran hockey player-manager said the owners of the New Haven Arena, Maurice, Nathan and Jacob Podoloff, had given him complete charge of the New Haven club under a lease arrangement. The New Haven team has been out of the American Hockey League for two seasons. They will play their first game under Shore's supervision in Providence Oct. 17 against the Providence Reds.

The Boston Globe from Boston, Massachusetts on August 31, 1945 · 15

Nov. 3, 1945
Eddie Shore "Mr. Hockey" brings his new edition of the New Haven Eagles to the Hershey Sports Arena tonight to clash with Don Penniston's Hershey Bears. Coaching the Eagles will be Cooney Weiland, who directed the Hershey Bears for four campaigns.

On the blue line he will have Gordie Davidson and Art Lessard and a second line of Lou Labovitch and Bob Dawes. His best forward line, collecting most of the goals for the Eagles, is Ken Kilrea at center George Boothman at right wing and George Pargeter at left wing. Others on the Weiland forward lines include Scottie McPherson, Jack Hewson and Eldy Kobussen at center, with Bill Summerhill and Joeffe Deselets playing either center or right wing; Norm Larson, right wing; and Joe Bell and Jake Milford, left wingers.

Harrisburg Telegraph from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania on November 3, 1945 · Page 7

Milford was transfered to Dallas Texans in the United States Hockey League during the season. Looking at Buffalo Bisons' players from that season, it's obvious Dallas Texans was their lower-level affliation that season as there are four other players on that Buffalo team who played in USHL that season and each of them played for Dallas Texans in that league. So just because Milford didn't play for Buffalo, doesn't mean he couldn't have been traded to that organisation.

I wasn't able to find contemporary report of the trade but there are clear points signaling to the truth behind the tale.

As to why Milford himself said he played for Springfield, if the team was in New Haven, well I'm not too familiar with the local geography there to say whether they're close enough so one could call one place as the other or not.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Was now able to find one contempary report of the trade (without mentioning the nets):

When the two teams meet in the Sports Arena, there will be two players in different uniforms, Oscar Aubuchon, late of the St. Louis Flyers, playing for Hershey and Jake Milford for the Bisons. Aubuchon, a left winger, was traded to Hershey for Fred Robertson, defenseman. Milford came to the Bisons in a trade for Johnny Baby, who is now playing with the Dallas Texans, and will not be available to the New Haven Eagles until after the season is over.

Harrisburg Telegraph from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania on February 1, 1946 · Page 15

That supports the mention of Johnny Baby in the tale as part of the trade:

About 20 years ago the AHL made the Art Ross-style goal nets mandatory. Rather than face the $250 expense. Shore simply swapped two players with a set of nets thrown in: Honest to gosh, thats a true story. A player by the name of Johnny Baby came with the nets in return for Jake Milford, now the manager of Omaha in the Central Pro League. Shore has always extracted value out of players despite their inactivity due to injuries or benching. They have served as ushers or ticket takers in his arena, or as once occurred with his team in Fort Worth walked the streets with sandwich hoards proclaiming Hockey Tonight.

The Leader-Post from Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada on December 22, 1966 · 28

That immediately refutes what Glen R. Goodhand said in the above linked article of John Baby not commencing his hockey career during Shore's tenure. There's no Eliteprospects profile for this Johnny Baby (there is for a different one) but there is profile for him in HockeyDB and it says he played for Buffalo Bisons/Dallas Texans in 1945-46 season, so that checks out again.

John Baby (b.1925) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Here is an article referencing Springfield moving to Buffalo during the war when the Springfield arena was being used by the Army Quartermaster Corps.

Doesn't seem likely that this complexes the nuances involving the blockbuster trade involving Milford and the hockey nets but it is an obscure hockey fact in it's own right.

Hockey in Springfield

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
• Defenseman Frank "King" Clancy entered the NHL in the 1921-22 season with the original Ottawa Senators. He was credited with his first professional goal (a game winner in OT) on his first shot, which entered the Hamilton goal through the side netting.
This does not really belong here, but still. How the hell you can miss that call with video evidence and all? or was it just because it was something referees couldnt review for some reason

first 30seconds are just the original play and replays, all looks normal. At 30 seconds you can see Tortorella go crazy and at 50 seconds replays with puck going through the net and finnish commentator slowly realizing the situation and starting to laugh in disbelief

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
In 1979-80, Charlie Simmer led the NHL in goals (tied) and GPG (first) with 56 goals in 64 games (!).

.. he didn't register a single hat-trick that year.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
In 1979-80, Charlie Simmer led the NHL in goals (tied) and GPG (first) with 56 goals in 64 games (!).

.. he didn't register a single hat-trick that year.

2010/2011 season from Gaborik was also strange. He scored only 22 goals in 62 games.

Close look to his game log offers a interesting view. He actually scored in only 14 games. He had one 4-goals game, two 3-goals games plus one 2-goals game.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Ken Daneyko...physical defenseman with over 2500 penalty minutes was suspended only once. For playing 4 exhibition games for Manheim (W. Germany) while on vacation in the summer of '85.
Rocky Trottier was the first player ever drafted by New Jersey (June 9, 1982), but he wasn't the first player drafted by the Devils....the team name wasn't announced until June 30th. Murray Brumwell was selected in the Waiver Draft that October- technically he's the 1st.

Only 2 players have scored their 1st playoff goal via penalty shot: Wayne Connolly (MNS) in '68 against Sawchuk (L.A.) and Mike Richards (PHI) in '08- Huet WSH).

The legend of Timo Blomqvist.
236 games played with Washington, he is still their leading Finn in points with 55 (4-51-55). More points than all the other Finns combined (46 points) as a Capital.
(A. Lehtonen 21, Tikkanen 18, S. Lepisto 5, M. Elomo 1, M. Leinonen 1, O. Osala). A topic that's sometimes brought up on the Caps' board- they don't draft Finns (~12 in their history), they don't trade for them or sign them either. It's odd.

Steve Vickers is the 1st player to score back to back hat tricks, he did it as a rookie (11/12-11/15/72). The former Ranger is still their highest scoring LW and still holds the team record for points in a game-7. (3 goals 4 assists vs Washington 2/18/76).

Mario Lemieux played 14 games career vs San Jose and had a point in all of them. (14-17-32-49).
Lemieux played 27 regular season games against Chicago and had a point in 26 of them. The one game he was held pointless was 12/15/96, a 2-1 loss in Chicago. Mario finished the game a minus 2.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Steve Vickers is the 1st player to score back to back hat tricks, he did it as a rookie (11/12-11/15/72). The former Ranger is still their highest scoring LW and still holds the team record for points in a game-7. (3 goals 4 assists vs Washington 2/18/76).
Whoa, that can't be right -- really??

Surely, someone from 1918 to 1972 did that at least a few times -- Joe Malone, or Phil Esposito, say...?

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017

Surely, someone from 1918 to 1972 did that at least a few times -- Joe Malone, or Phil Esposito, say...?
I was surprised by it, too. I (and the sources i used) could be wrong but it seems like he is the 1st to score back to back hat tricks. I would've thought someone else like the players you mentioned would've but there doesn't seem to be any documentation saying otherwise.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007

I was surprised by it, too. I (and the sources i used) could be wrong but it seems like he is the 1st to score back to back hat tricks. I would've thought someone else like the players you mentioned would've but there doesn't seem to be any documentation saying otherwise.

Joe Malone, Cy Denneny and Reg Noble scored back-to-back hat tricks to kick of the NHL's inaugural season. Newsy Lalonde had back-to-back hat tricks shortly after and then Joe Malone and Reg Noble added second set of back-to-back hat tricks later that season. So it happened early on and multiple times.

I'm sure there's several occasions between these but for example Stan Mikita also had back-to-back hat tricks during 1965-66 season and Bill Goldsworthy on 1970-71 season.

If Steve Vickers was first at something, then he was first to do it as a rookie (since they don't count those inaugural season players coming from NHA as rookies). [EDIT. Billy Boucher had back-to-back hat tricks as a rookie in 1921-22 season so Vickers wasn't even the first rookie to do it]

Reactions: brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Joe Malone, Cy Denneny and Reg Noble scored back-to-back hat tricks to kick of the NHL's inaugural season. Newsy Lalonde had back-to-back hat tricks shortly after and then Joe Malone and Reg Noble added second set of back-to-back hat tricks later that season. So it happened early on and multiple times.

I'm sure there's several occasions between these but for example Stan Mikita also had back-to-back hat tricks during 1965-66 season and Bill Goldsworthy on 1970-71 season.

If Steve Vickers was first at something, then he was first to do it as a rookie (since they don't count those inaugural season players coming from NHA as rookies). [EDIT. Billy Boucher had back-to-back hat tricks as a rookie in 1921-22 season so Vickers wasn't even the first rookie to do it]
Thank you for the correction. I guess InsideHockey (George Grimm) and Hockeydraftcentral and some other sources are incorrect in saying he was the 1st from 1917-on to score back to backs. Cheers.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Thank you for the correction. I guess InsideHockey (George Grimm) and Hockeydraftcentral and some other sources are incorrect in saying he was the 1st from 1917-on to score back to backs. Cheers.

I imagine they were counting post-1942 or something, as many of these "records" do (like Brian Boucher having the longest shutout record, if you ignore Alex Connell and I believe someone else from the 1920s).

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I imagine they were counting post-1942 or something, as many of these "records" do (like Brian Boucher having the longest shutout record, if you ignore Alex Connell and I believe someone else from the 1920s).
Thanks.
Hockeydraftcentral: "prior to Vickers, only Hall of Famer Joe Malone had scored consecutive hat tricks back in the 1916-17 season with the Quebec Bulldogs."
InsideHockey- Retro Rangers: remembering Steve Vickers: "On Nov 12th Steve scored a hat trick against Gary Edwards and the L.A. Kings and then repeated the feat in the Rangers next game against Michel Belhumeur and the Flyers. It was the 1st time in NHL history that anyone had recorded
back-to-back hat tricks."
A bit frustrating trying to figure out their wording and accuracy, and a bit of a wake up call for myself as I trust these sites and others for info and stats. Cheers.

Reactions: kaiser matias
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->