Signing(s): OBJ 5 year deal

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I hate Manning but you could argue hes had a better career than Pig Pen Cheeseburger.

You could argue it, but you'd be wrong.

His past career is also irrelevant when it comes to how he is now. Roethlisberger is still a very good QB, Manning isn't.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You could argue it, but you'd be wrong.

His past career is also irrelevant when it comes to how he is now. Roethlisberger is still a very good QB, Manning isn't.

I don't know about good QB, he is okay but he's also whined about retirement recently. He does have Brown and Bell in his back pocket though. Maybe Barkley can do what Bell does though to help Manning. Ben can still make throws but I still think hes far from the QB he was like 5 years ago. Hes overweight and has took a lot of shots. His body size has helped him last though. If Bell doesn't report it will be interesing to watch thay offense.

Still, look up their stats, outside of picks it's damn close. Eli has 2 SB MVP's, has more TD's and I believe more passing yards. I'm not a fan of these MVP things but the masses go goo goo ga ga over them. Manning didn't deserve the first one. But i'll also say in his first titke Ben rode the D' coattails to Detroit.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Roethlisberger is still a very good QB, Manning isn't.
one of them has 80 tds and 43 ints over the last 3 seasons and the other has 78 tds and 43 ints
and we all know which one of them has been surrounded by the better team...

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
one of them has 80 tds and 43 ints over the last 3 seasons and the other has 78 tds and 43 ints

The INT's are Eli's biggest issue. But outside of Beckham has he ever really had a decent WR? I mean Plastico wasn't that great, he was okay but had been bouncing around, then shot himself and all. Eli has had to take more risks. He hasn't had a Bell like RB except for Vereen.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't know about good QB, he is okay but he's also whined about retirement recently. He does have Brown and Bell in his back pocket though. Maybe Barkley can do what Bell does though to help Manning. Ben can still make throws but I still think hes far from the QB he was like 5 years ago. Hes overweight and has took a lot of shots. His body size has helped him last though. If Bell doesn't report it will be interesing to watch thay offense.

Still, look up their stats, outside of picks it's damn close. Eli has 2 SB MVP's, has more TD's and I believe more passing yards. I'm not a fan of these MVP things but the masses go goo goo ga ga over them. Manning didn't deserve the first one. But i'll also say in his first titke Ben rode the D' coattails to Detroit.

I'm not really interested in debating their careers, though it will be fun when they both hang them up. I agree Ben is buoyed by Brown and a great OL. Regardless he's still a top 10 QB and Manning is in the lower tier of starters.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The INT's are Eli's biggest issue. But outside of Beckham has he ever really had a decent WR? I mean Plastico wasn't that great, he was okay but had been bouncing around, then shot himself and all. Eli has had to take more risks. He hasn't had a Bell like RB except for Vereen.

He's had very good guys for short periods of time. Burress, Cruz, Nicks. Obviously Beckham is great. Definitely not the same supporting class as Ben, that's for sure.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Eli has 45 TDs and 38 turnovers the last two years, while Ben has 57 & 30. If you dig deeper (YPA, QB rating, etc) it gets even uglier for Eli.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s not like it’s really a 5 year deal like nba or nhl contracts. Wait for the exact details to come out.

He’s still going to play out his 5th year option this season. He’ll get whatever signing bonus from this deal to pocket now too.

Deals like this, typically the team can walk away after year 3 without too much of dead cap space. It’s all in the details of the agreement.

Reports are that $40 odd million is fully guaranteed and up to another $20 is guaranteed for injury. He’s in his prime now, so pay the man.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It’s not like it’s really a 5 year deal like nba or nhl contracts. Wait for the exact details to come out.

He’s still going to play out his 5th year option this season. He’ll get whatever signing bonus from this deal to pocket now too.

Deals like this, typically the team can walk away after year 3 without too much of dead cap space. It’s all in the details of the agreement.

Reports are that $40 odd million is fully guaranteed and up to another $20 is guaranteed for injury. He’s in his prime now, so pay the man.

In thE NFL they can cut you at any point.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Difference between OBJ and mike Evans contracts is about $2.5 million per in average. He beat it by 15%.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Star WRs do not decide if you're gunna be a champ or not. They are in a tough division and have other holes which the money to him won't help with that.

He literally makes their offense a threat to score from anywhere on the field. You don't see it because you don't even try to research why he was paid like he was. Elite receivers command attention. That makes defenses simpler to play against and easier to execute against. Look at what happened last year when he went out.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He literally makes their offense a threat to score from anywhere on the field. You don't see it because you don't even try to research why he was paid like he was. Elite receivers command attention. That makes defenses simpler to play against and easier to execute against. Look at what happened last year when he went out.
And what's the alternative? Let him walk as a free agent? It's such a crazy thing to gripe about paying a player what he's worth. Do that, and you spend the next few seasons griping about how the Giants have no weapons or you end up spending just as much on inferior free agent WRs.

If you have great players, you pay to keep them.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think the Giants will regret this

I would not be keen on paying a guy with his attitude and behaviour this amount of money but the talent is certainly there on the field when he is engaged that I don't think they will regret it.

The fact that they aren't winning with or without him so spending the money elsewhere, getting picks back for him, likely doesn't change much means it also is less likely to haunt them.

Although I certainly would prefer not to have to constantly worry what stupid thing he will do/say everyday after giving a guy that amount of money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->