Oakland Athletics relocation to Las Vegas thread: Move to Vegas approved by MLB owners - Will play in Sacramento for 3-4 years

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
how come every other team can get a new stadium after 10 years but for the A's it's impossible?

with the raiders gone, why not just renovate the coliseum? makes too much sense i guess

Reactions: Voight

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
how come every other team can get a new stadium after 10 years but for the A's it's impossible?

with the raiders gone, why not just renovate the coliseum? makes too much sense i guess
I don't know where they would put a new stadium however I'd say the location is terrible for where it is now. I use to fly into Oakland twice a year for the past while (pre-Covid) and the area going by the stadium looks terrible. Considering myself a baseball fan has not once wanted to attend a game there when I've been in the area over 50 times says something to myself. There has to be a better area for a stadium in Oakland. The A's run a fabulous team and I can't imagine how good they'd be with a new stadium and more revenues to feed the team. I know the threat to move is most likely to get the decision passed however they have needed a new stadium for a long time. Hopefully, they get it for the City and fans of the A's.

Reactions: Voight

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oakland has just lost the Raiders again, the Warriors and potentially the A's. I dont think its the A's thats the problem
Sounds like all the A's are asking for is upgraded infrastructure, for a project that sounds like it would be good for Oakland and they are balking, the city is 100% the problem. I hate seeing teams move, but at this point in time it seems like they need to. Portland or Montreal please.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Oakland has just lost the Raiders again, the Warriors and potentially the A's. I dont think its the A's thats the problem
No the A's aren't the problem at all. I think this is the league basically telling the city that this is their last chance

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This is make or break moment for team if history is indication

White Sox only got stadium deal when Sox to TB talks got into final stretch leading to governor of IL intervene to get stadium deal done at last moment

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't understand why Oakland's government isn't willing to play ball.

The team is willing to fund pretty much the entire bill for a new stadium. The least you can do is like work with them in developing the area/transit to games etc

The city rightfully let the Raiders go because they couldn't afford to fund a new stadium but I feel like something has to give here

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

The team is willing to fund pretty much the entire bill for a new stadium. The least you can do is like work with them in developing the area/transit to games etc

The city rightfully let the Raiders go because they couldn't afford to fund a new stadium but I feel like something has to give here

The Port is a pretty big deal and could be seriously affected by the ballpark, traffic is a huge problem and would be extraordinarily difficult to deal with (and it can't just be handled by "expanding transit"), and there's a lot of local opposition to the project.

It's just not as simple as just allowing the project to go forward.

Reactions: Quid Pro Clowe

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Montreal meme needs to die. They have a dumpy ass stadium, the fans don't care (even when the team was good they didn't draw) and i can't see the government being open to bending over for the league after how badly the Expos got screwed.

Portland is probably the most logical location for either a relocation or expansion team. They have an MLB ready park slated to open next year. The city itself doesn't have a whole lot of competition at that time of year given Blazers season is in its final weeks at that time.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Bay Area NIMBYism is a special, next-level kind of NIMBYism.

More like a bunch of CAVE (Citizens Against Virtually Everything) dwellers.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Extremely misleading title. Bad bad bad.

The league asked them to do this IF and only if Howard terminal fails. They still have a lease in Oakland for 3 years beyond this one. They’re just trying to pressure the city of Oakland to hurry up.

Selig never did a damn thing for Oakland besides prevent them from moving to San Jose, and Mantits is no better.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Bay Area NIMBYism is a special, next-level kind of NIMBYism.

More like a bunch of CAVE (Citizens Against Virtually Everything) dwellers.
As @Cas said, there’s a lot more involved than just opposing to oppose.

Always nice to see people from here stereotyped, though.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Oakland is an issue because there isn’t a ton of money there. The Raiders and Warriors didn’t leave because Oakland city politics were difficult, they left because there’s way more money in SF and Vegas.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I would love to see Vancouver, probably the best market in Canada for baseball...but just no stadium, a waterfront one would be great

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Oakland is an issue because there isn’t a ton of money there. The Raiders and Warriors didn’t leave because Oakland city politics were difficult, they left because there’s way more money in SF and Vegas.

I'm guessing you meant to reply to someone else?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'm guessing you meant to reply to someone else?
Your implication (whether intended or not) is that the city of Oakland is at fault for why the Warriors and Raiders left, when that simply isn’t true. Neither ever intended on staying.

City politics have been a pain for the A’s, but their scenario is completely different than those other teams.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If they lose 2/3 teams to Las Vegas..... ouch.

I think LV is the most likely outcome if they move. In the last 5 years we've had multiple private citizens/companies pony up money to build new arenas and stadiums there, wouldn't shock me if another rich individual put money up for a baseball park.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Without a doubt it’s Vegas, but this was a option from mlb since January when the A’s gave Oakland city council the terms of the Howard Terminal deal. They’re putting public pressure on the city now to get results quicker, which is what mlb wants more than anyone.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad