Trade: [NYY/PIT] Jameson Taillon for Miguel Yajure, Roansy Contreras, Maikel Escotto, Canaan Smith

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Good for Taillon, maybe he can go a full season without needing TJS now.

Zero clue about any of the guys the Bucs got back, but my condolences to each of them.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I cant wait till all these prospects are traded in 5 years for 5 more prospects who will be flipped for 5 more prospects 5 years after them, it's the circle of suck. Build for a future that never comes.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I'm not sure any fans will return in Pittsburgh, even when COVID is over.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I'm not sure any fans will return in Pittsburgh, even when COVID is over.

Things like that are not new to Pirates fans.

The ballpark is great. People will go during the summer to enjoy the experience. Will people DEEPLY care about the results? Probably not for a while and cynicism towards ownership will continue.

Personally, I am willing to trust the rebuild plan... as long as they re-sign the key pieces and do not sell them off for another rebuild in 3-4 years.

Sep 19, 2008
Curious how much longer fans put up with Nutting

As much shit as I give Yinzers they deserve a winning baseball team. The hockey and football are fine. The baseball has been stagnant save for a few good years.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

As much shit as I give Yinzers they deserve a winning baseball team. The hockey and football are fine. The baseball has been stagnant save for a few good years.

Honestly, a team in a market like Pittsburgh will be good in cycles.

They need to invest in the MiLB system and make sure they pump good prospects all the time (the Rays method, basically). Then, you retain the key players while you can and start over when the cycle is over. If they can be successful for 5-6 years stretchs every decade, I do not think people will complain. Cynicism will remain as long as the current ownership is in place, but meh, it is what it is.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Honestly, a team in a market like Pittsburgh will be good in cycles.

They need to invest in the MiLB system and make sure they pump good prospects all the time (the Rays method, basically). Then, you retain the key players while you can and start over when the cycle is over. If they can be successful for 5-6 years stretchs every decade, I do not think people will complain. Cynicism will remain as long as the current ownership is in place, but meh, it is what it is.
The Pirates will never win a championship. Cycles be damned, they won't spend that extra 15M when they ARE good to "go for it."

You're a sucker because they caught lightning in a bottle ONCE in the last 30 seasons for three years.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Honestly infuriates me. Stop giving that f***er money. I'll do nothing but bitch about the Pirates and MLB until he's gone.

Suffice to say my boycott will enter a 4th season...and I'm thrilled it gives me an out from having to waste my time watching the Indianapolis Indians lose 110 games.

f*** the Nutting family for all eternity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nutting has to be worse than Lurie.

I mean, at least Jeff made that big splash when Marlins Park opened and tried to make a playoff contender.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Don't get anyone knocking the Pirates for this.....they need to go Scorched Earth. Taillon was good but only had one more year after this one, and has an injury history.

decent return.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
This is all a huge scheme by Nutting, not only does he not have to pay the "big" salaries of Taillon, Musgrove, and Bell, he is allegedly going to double the price on scorecards since everyone will need to buy one now that nobody knows who the hell any of these guys are anymore

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This is all a huge scheme by Nutting, not only does he not have to pay the "big" salaries of Taillon, Musgrove, and Bell, he is allegedly going to double the price on scorecards since everyone will need to buy one now that nobody knows who the hell any of these guys are anymore

Scorecards accounting for 35% of all Pirates profits, as will happen when the average age of a fanbase is in their 80s.

Don't get anyone knocking the Pirates for this.....they need to go Scorched Earth. Taillon was good but only had one more year after this one, and has an injury history.

decent return.

My issues aren't with the trade, it's everything surrounding the trade. That's pretty much the universal take around each of the trades this off-season.

Cherington re-stocking a ridiculously shallow farm system despite inheriting an insanely shallow system with only a couple assets with any sort of trade value is positive (he hasn't landed big name prospects, but he's added a lot of young talent to a farm system that was more focused on developing replacement-level plug-ins that can field half a dozen positions equally poorly or teaching pitchers to pitch to contact no matter what rather than their individual strengths. Not having the faith that ownership will spend a single dime more than necessary to do the bare minimum is significantly less positive. The Pirates problems won't change until ownership changes, so even if these prospects turn out as hoped there's little to be excited about when the franchise has a rotten core philosophy about never paying anyone what they're worth. Who would ever want to stick around that kind of environment?

It's not even like that motherf***er did anything for us. As bad of an owner as McClatchy was, he was bad because he was broke. He at least seemed to care about putting a decent team on the field, he just was too broke to do it the traditional way and not savvy enough to surround himself with the right people who could. If nothing else McClatchy gets credit for providing enough stability to get the stadium built. Nutting just benefits from inheriting it from his ghoul of a dad who bought McClatchy out at an unknown point in time. Nutting is a billionaire and the Pirates are profitable, he has no excuse other than not knowing how to run a business like anything but a small-town newspaper that fires its entire staff and replaces them with unpaid interns.

So f***ing embarrassing having a 130+ year-old franchise held hostage by a billionaire whose fortune comes from operating newspapers like The Minot Daily News and Altoona Mirror and a shitty Pennsylvania ski resort that gets more attention than the Pirates do. I'd hold onto my money-printing business that fell onto my lap too, if I were the useless fourth generation progeny of a newspaper named The Intelligencer and whose entire business ethos is that the only route to profitability is to slash payroll.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad