Pre-Game Talk: nyrcar

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
@TheRillestPaulFenton, you working hard to change the title I gave you from worst GM we never had to worst coach we never had. I guess you can be the Lou Lamoriello ofworst GMs we never had and fire the coach to step behind the bench and still keep the original title too.

Thank you very much, it's an honor. I should replace my avatar with Mike Keenan to keep the flame alive.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Yet, McKenzie reported that they were interested in Martinez, a LHD with an extra year of term, in the middle of February (Link). Dillon was also linked to the Canes earlier that month (Link). Dumba was targeted as well, which probably would have resulted in Pesce moving back to the left when Hamilton got healthy this season or next (Link). Eventually, they traded for a LHD with several years of term left outside of a buy-low. While the injuries assuredly played a role, I see a pattern there.

They weren't looking around any of those players before Dougie got hurt on January 20th. The only defenseman tied to the Canes before that was Brodin, who was the equivalent of a Selke-caliber LHD, and maybe the only defenseman on the market that I truly would've loved to have as a luxury buy, no matter the circumstances. Even during February, I joked that they were interested in everybody, therefore they were interested in nobody, and then they would shock the hockey world and do something that nobody speculated on. That's essentially what happened when they first acquired Trocheck when no media source tied him to the Canes. You kept hearing around about them being interested here-and-there, but before Pesce got hurt, they didn't pull a trigger on any defensive deal.

As I had speculated, I think that they were snooping around players but weren't really planning some drastic move until Pesce was deemed out long-term. Even then, they waited until the very end of the deadline before they agreed to any deal. I would actually view Skjei as somewhat of a buy-low, in a sense. Generally speaking, it usually takes way more than one 1st round pick to acquire a 25-year-old defenseman with 4 and a half seasons left on the deal. Giving Kreider that extension meant that the Rangers had cap motivations to sell relatively cheaply on a young player, and that turned out to be of the Canes' benefit. To give you an idea, a rental+1 of Blake Coleman fetched the equivalent of 2 late firsts. I'm not saying that getting Skjei for a 1st was some bargain-basement add like Nino for Rask was, however, it was very good value considering which team was the one with the major need at the time.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Makes me wonder with the LHD with term is in order to replace Fluery with the presumption that Seattle will be taking him.
Yeah, while it would be disappointing to lose him after Fleury has finally blossomed into what we thought he'd be, he's likely to be the best option if he's available, by far. I'm not so sure he won't be protected, though. We'll see, I'm sure it's crossed Waddell's mind.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah, while it would be disappointing to lose him after Fleury has finally blossomed into what we thought he'd be, he's likely to be the best option if he's available, by far. I'm not so sure he won't be protected, though. We'll see, I'm sure it's crossed Waddell's mind.

We know this group doesn’t like to sit on their hands. I’m sure the roster is going to look quite different going into the expansion draft. Seattle will get something decent from almost every team either way but I’m sure we’ll do our best to mitigate the damage

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Kaapo Kakko might not be playing in the playoffs. He got diabetes and celiac disease which make him belong doubly in a risk group for corona infection.

That'd be four K's away from the Rongos.
Celiac disease has no correlation to covid risk, and Type-1 Diabetes (let alone in a 19 year old professional athlete with access to the best medical care imaginable who is going to be in an extremely diligent quarantine the NHL will do) doesn’t really either.

The study shows that two thirds (65%) of COVID-19 patients with diabetes admitted to hospital are men, and the average age of all patients is 70 years. Worse blood sugar control did not seem to impact a patient's outcome, however the presence of diabetic complications and increasing age increase the risk of death, and increased BMI is associated with both increased risk of needing mechanical ventilation and with increased risk of death.
The CORONADO study analysed 1,317 patients admitted to 53 French hospitals (public and private) between 10 and 31 March 2020. The majority of hospitalised subjects had type 2 diabetes (89%) while only 3% had type 1 diabetes, with other types of diabetes in the remaining cases. In 3% of cases, diabetes was actually diagnosed during hospitalisation for COVID-19.

Microvascular complications (eye, kidney and nerves) were found in 47% of the subjects in the study, while macrovascular complications (arteries of the heart, brain, legs) were present in 41% of the patients analysed. Across all patients in this study, by day 7 one in five (20.3%) had been intubated and placed on a ventilator in intensive care, and one in 10 (10.3%) had died. A further 18% had been discharged home at this point.

The presence of microvascular or macrovascular complications each more than doubled the risk of death at day 7. Advanced age also substantially increased the risk of death, with the group of patients aged 75 years and more than 14 times more likely to die than younger patients aged under 55 years, while patients 65-74 years old were three times more likely to die than those under 55 years. The presence of the respiratory condition obstructive sleep apnoea almost tripled the risk of death at 7 days, as did the presence of dyspnoea symptoms (shortness of breath).

Increasing BMI raised the risk of reaching the combined primary outcome of the study (intubation/ventilation or death at day 7). Women were 25% less likely to reach the combined primary endpoint than men (a result that had borderline statistical significance). However, when looking at death only, men were not statistically more likely to die at day 7 than women.
The authors say: "The risk factors for severe form of COVID-19 are identical to those found in the general population: age and BMI."

They add: "Elderly populations with long-term diabetes with advanced diabetic complications and/or treated obstructive sleep apnoea were particularly at risk of early death, and might require specific management to avoid infection with the novel coronavirus. BMI also appears as an independent prognostic factor for COVID-19 severity in the population living with diabetes requiring hospital admission. The link between obesity and COVID-19 requires further study."

First study of COVID-19 patients with diabetes shows that 10% die within seven days of hospital admission

People are PC about it but weight is really the factor here, Type-1 diabetes isn’t remotely comparable to Type-2. Kakko also has a VERY mild case, he didn’t even know he was diabetic & celiac until a couple years ago, as he has never experienced any symptoms and said it’s made no difference in his life. I’d be shocked if Kakko doesn’t play.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Celiac disease has no correlation to covid risk, and Type-1 Diabetes (let alone in a 19 year old professional athlete with access to the best medical care imaginable who is going to be in an extremely diligent quarantine the NHL will do) doesn’t really either.

The study shows that two thirds (65%) of COVID-19 patients with diabetes admitted to hospital are men, and the average age of all patients is 70 years. Worse blood sugar control did not seem to impact a patient's outcome, however the presence of diabetic complications and increasing age increase the risk of death, and increased BMI is associated with both increased risk of needing mechanical ventilation and with increased risk of death.
The CORONADO study analysed 1,317 patients admitted to 53 French hospitals (public and private) between 10 and 31 March 2020. The majority of hospitalised subjects had type 2 diabetes (89%) while only 3% had type 1 diabetes, with other types of diabetes in the remaining cases. In 3% of cases, diabetes was actually diagnosed during hospitalisation for COVID-19.

Microvascular complications (eye, kidney and nerves) were found in 47% of the subjects in the study, while macrovascular complications (arteries of the heart, brain, legs) were present in 41% of the patients analysed. Across all patients in this study, by day 7 one in five (20.3%) had been intubated and placed on a ventilator in intensive care, and one in 10 (10.3%) had died. A further 18% had been discharged home at this point.

The presence of microvascular or macrovascular complications each more than doubled the risk of death at day 7. Advanced age also substantially increased the risk of death, with the group of patients aged 75 years and more than 14 times more likely to die than younger patients aged under 55 years, while patients 65-74 years old were three times more likely to die than those under 55 years. The presence of the respiratory condition obstructive sleep apnoea almost tripled the risk of death at 7 days, as did the presence of dyspnoea symptoms (shortness of breath).

Increasing BMI raised the risk of reaching the combined primary outcome of the study (intubation/ventilation or death at day 7). Women were 25% less likely to reach the combined primary endpoint than men (a result that had borderline statistical significance). However, when looking at death only, men were not statistically more likely to die at day 7 than women.
The authors say: "The risk factors for severe form of COVID-19 are identical to those found in the general population: age and BMI."

They add: "Elderly populations with long-term diabetes with advanced diabetic complications and/or treated obstructive sleep apnoea were particularly at risk of early death, and might require specific management to avoid infection with the novel coronavirus. BMI also appears as an independent prognostic factor for COVID-19 severity in the population living with diabetes requiring hospital admission. The link between obesity and COVID-19 requires further study."

First study of COVID-19 patients with diabetes shows that 10% die within seven days of hospital admission

People are PC about it but weight is really the factor here, Type-1 diabetes isn’t remotely comparable to Type-2. Kakko also has a VERY mild case, he didn’t even know he was diabetic & celiac until a couple years ago, as he has never experienced any symptoms and said it’s made no difference in his life. I’d be shocked if Kakko doesn’t play.

My ultimate source was this: (NHL.com, Finnish)

Rangers ei ota riskejä Kakon terveyden kanssa

("Rangers won't take risks with Kakko's health")

They have interviewed John Davidson and everything, but talked only about diabetes. It's possible an NHL.com Finn reporter needlessly made an issue of it.

My immediate source had added the celiac stuff, but on careful re-reading they didn't tie it to corona. Apparently they just wanted to rehash their earlier celiac article in a general Kakko health expose.

My bad, again. Like with the Haula infection.

Last edited:

Tryamw

Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Kaapo Kakko might not be playing in the playoffs. He got diabetes and celiac disease which make him belong doubly in a risk group for corona infection.

That'd be four K's away from the Rongos.
That'd help if we were playing baseball...

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Geekie was in the process of saving the season—if the Canes lose the last two games before the pause things look entirely different. Trocheck on the other hand scored 1g/1a in 7 games. Since this whole play-in/playoff is an experiment, no better time to try:

Svech/Aho/Teravainen
Niederreiter/Geekie/Necas
Dzingel/Trocheck/Williams
Foegele or McGinn/Staal/Martinook

The fourth line can be the top defensive line. Lines 2 and 3 can be used to cause matchup problems.

As for the D: for sh** sake keep Slavin/Hamilton, and don't risk Pesce's future.
I like your lines. I would only put sometimes Svech with williams and Aho. Williams is so smart..i liked them a lot the few times Svech and Williams played together... Last year. They seem to click very well.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Does someone knows if Svech returned to Russia? I know that Aho and Teuvo are in Europe.
Svech and Doogie have been playing canasta on the North Hills astroturf lawn for two and a half months, except for the weekend that Svech and his brother spent going fishing.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Slavin-Hamilton
Skeji-Pesce
Fleury-Vatanen

I wish they would reopen the TDL and we could send Eddy or TVR our west and have Gards as an extra.

LOL, I get it, but no one expected the season to just completely stop dead for 3 months due to a pandemic, so their non-moves of Eddy/TVR were completely understandable. I'm also going to guess that Gards gets the 1st opportunity at the #3 LHD slot. If he craps the bed like he did when he was in Toronto, then put Fleury in the next game. I could also very well see Eddy/TVR/Fleury being used as bottom-6 forwards in the event of injuries.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think we had 3 F injuries, 2 D injuries, and a G injury in last years playoffs? And we have no idea what the injury risks are going to be in this format. If we make it further than the play in, we may be happy to have the extra bodies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Are you all watching the thread about Canes proposal? It’s a feast.
I love the fact that, as an organization, we openly don't give a flying f*** about anything but ourselves, and isn't shy to admit it. Why the f*** should we be doing the teams who weren't in a playoff position any charity just to finish out the season?

I also very much appreciate how much people foam at the mouth every time we tell the establishment to f*** off as well. Their reactions are downright Pavlovian at this point. Canes did or said something, therefore I must hate it.

Does make me wonder how much we are releasing absolute BS things just to troll fans and media alike.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The most insecure fans I've seen in the past 24 months was when several Bruins fans came into the Jaccob Slavin playoff thread to insist, entirely unprompted and off topic, that Charlie McAvoy was better.

But a handful of Rags fans salty that they only made the playoffs because the League expanded the format is a close 2nd.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I only read a couple pages of the playoff format thread we suggested, but man, some Rangers fans are annoying. They had a hot little run, and sure their future looks good, but you'd think they were one of the teams that's been having crazy success for years with their cockiness. In spite of our record against them, I don't think there is a single damn player on our team afraid to play them. They thought it wasn't fair. They preferred another option. Get over it.

Their fans keep bringing up they were only two points behind (they whisper, Canes have two games in hand) and that they were absolutely going to make the playoffs if the season finished. And oh, my, the number of regulation wins their beloved Rangers had (never mind that they had a crap ton of regulation losses compared to almost every other team too and points are what matter, not the ****ing tie breaker). When you look at the points percentage, they weren't really super close. Yes, things may have worked out to them making it over us or another team at the bottom, but it was far from assured. I hope we stomp their unearned gloating asses into the ****ing earth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->