Pre-Game Talk: nyrcar

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
It's not just that he doesn't shoot enough, but also that he has shown poor shot selection when he does pull the trigger. We need Teuvo to be scoring goals in the 20s, not the 10s. The shortest route to getting there is for him to take better and more frequent shots.
  1. Teravainen has taken just as many shots this year as the past two. He had 23 and 21 goals with shot% of 12.4 and 12.6. His shot selection may be 30% worse this year or it could be a degree of puck luck.
  2. Per game, Teravainen was on the ice 39 seconds more at even strength and 3 seconds of power play time more than Svechnikov. Less than one shift per game. Svech took 320 shots Teravainen 317.
  3. Shooting more frequently would mean passing less often and/or not holding the puck looking for a better option. Aho's shooting % was 18.4 and Svech's was 13.1. The sound argument is to say those strong numbers are partly due to Teravainen's ability to pass.
  4. Other playmaking wingers seldom have shooting % above 11%. Voracek hasn't been above 10% in 7 years. Wheeler was under 11% for the previous 5 years, though he was above 12% this year. Even Gaudreau, who is definitely more of a shooter, has only been above 11% once in the past 4 seasons. Marner's career % is exactly 11%. In his 4 years as a Cane, TT's % is 10.5.
  5. The "better" shot point is really chicken/egg. It is easy to remember when he passed up what looked like a really good shot. His mentality is to look for better options, which makes him, and arguably his line mates, more effective.
It would be terrific if Teravainen could become like Panarin and score 30+ goals while being near the top of the league in assists. However, he has been (and likely will continue to be) more like Wheeler. That being the case, he is shooting close to the rate he needs.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, I tend to agree, based on the Pens situation, they'd be more cautious about the folks that traveled with him if it was virus related.

Reactions: Tryamw

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Good, that's how I wanted the pairings to be against the Rangers. Having all defensemen play on their strong sides is the right idea against Panarin and Zibanejad. Don't take any chances. Also, clearly Brindy has liked what Gardiner brought in February before COVID happened, hence why he's playing him over Fleury.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedgreen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Good, that's how I wanted the pairings to be against the Rangers. Having all defensemen play on their strong sides is the right idea against Panarin and Zibanejad. Don't take any chances. Also, clearly Brindy has liked what Gardiner brought in February before COVID happened, hence why he's playing him over Fleury.

Rod was quoted as saying Sami is an unknown and this camp is really imported for him. He’s got limited time to prove to a guy that leans on what he knows that he belongs over a handful of dmen that he does already know.

I think Sami belongs in that spot too, but I think it’s really in the air.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Rod was quoted as saying Sami is an unknown and this camp is really imported for him. He’s got limited time to prove to a guy that leans on what he knows that he belongs over a handful of dmen that he does already know.

I think Sami belongs in that spot too, but I think it’s really in the air.
It is up in the air, but I think Rod will give him a chance. He had an interview with the ESPN on Ice podcast a while back, and mentioned Vatanen as a guy that he thought could bring something (can't fully remember, but almost felt like he thought he was an x factor of sorts), but just that they never got a chance to see it before things ended.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Huh? Gardiner wasn't playing as horrifically as he was to start the season when play stopped, but Fleury was playing like a top pairing guy during that stretch. Maybe something has changed with the time off, but there is zero question in my mind who the better player is right now- and it isn't Gardiner.
I'm not a Fleury fan, and a stretch of good play for him doesn't do any more for me than Gardiner playing better does for you. I think top pair feels like a big exaggeration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->