GDT: NYRCAR, 7PM, Lack of wins over the Rangers is killing us

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I was at the game last night with my two boys, one a Canes fan, one a Ranger fan. We sat in our STM seats and it was around 75% Canes fans/25% Ranger fans. It was really a bad look for Canes fans, at least in my section. They were screaming, with zero knowledge of the game, at every hit. Calling the Rangers "Yankees" and going on with the "go home Yankees" nonsense. One incident when my 14 year old son cheered a Ranger goal and a 40+ year old guy, sitting behind him, leaned over and loudly booed at him. WTF!
Ranger fans, at least in my section, were well behaved. No taunting. The foul language was coming from Canes fans, which hasn't been my experience this season. Unfortunate.
As far as the game goes, I think the CAnes got frustrated by Shesterkin in the first period. They outplayed the Rangers in that period and were down 1. After that, they allowed the Rangers too much space and let them get their offense going. A couple of lucky bounces and the Rangers go up by a couple.
I really don't think the Canes played soft. They threw plenty of hits. Svech pounded a few Ranger players. If anything, I think frustration set in and things started getting chippy.
I heard people getting on Petr, but I don't fault this loss on him at all. He made a couple of miraculous saves and was the recipient of some lucky bounces for the Rangers.
One moment stood out for me in particular. When Gautier walked a Canes D and almost made a highlight reel goal. That might have been more than some Canes fans could take.
Canes just had a few too many no-shows last night. Dzingle, Staal, Necas, even Turbo wasn't particularly noticeable.
Have to get back at it against a talented team tonight. Don't turn the puck over against the Leafs! Forecheck hard and they will choke up the puck! Must win tonight.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
They don't know how to be physical without taking a penalty so they just shy away from it. We need to bring in some guys who can show how to be physical within the rules and that has to be a priority. We have enough guys who can throw some weight around that we should be physical but they haven't been taught how to do it.

Still think Gauthier could have been this guy.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

I didn't watch but 5 minutes of the game but Gauthier looked like he was hungry the entire couple shifts he played. I think he's gonna be good, and I think they should have given him more of a chance. He was obviously frustrated with how he was managed here. I think he at least deserved a look over some other 4th liners.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

No, because this organization has always been bent on not allowing somebody like that to be here. This in addition to an obsession with settling for being perpetually humiliated by the Rangers.

Additionally, Frankly, IDGAF if Canes fans, for once, returned some of the obnoxious behavior to Rangers fans that we've had to put up with for years from these people.

When the Canes get blasted in all the games they have left with the Pens, there will be no playoffs.

And when the team calls me to renew my season tickets, I will tell them to go F themselves. I've had it with this year.

Reactions: Tryamw

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Ouch. I’d hope that gets remembered....though I don’t have a lot of hope they’d do something about it.

You’re right. Last year was the only team that wasn’t really soft over the last decade, they definitely stood up for themselves when they had to.

Playoffs are tough, we’re not. We let go of grit and didn’t bring much back, Martinook has had a rough season and he was one to bring it. I’ll be curious if there’s an effort to bring in more of Rod’s type of guy. I’m sure if they can find some that mix grit with skill they would.

Not picking on you bleed but I cringe a little when I hear Rod's type guy. Because Jordan is Rod's guy and he constantly pulls up on people and has been pretty weak for someone his size. Rod also seems to despise Fleury who plays the game "the right way" without a lot of flash and Gauthier was said to be the same way. Hell the kid was a huge gym rat and Rod should've loved him...but he doesn't. So I'm a little leery of bringing in "rod's type of guys"

They don't know how to be physical without taking a penalty so they just shy away from it. We need to bring in some guys who can show how to be physical within the rules and that has to be a priority. We have enough guys who can throw some weight around that we should be physical but they haven't been taught how to do it.

I don't follow the idea someone has to be taught how to hit. Maybe how to do it well so you puncture a lung with a clean body check, yes...but just going in and bumping into a Dman sitting on the boards who just passed the puck doesn't need to be taught.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Not picking on you bleed but I cringe a little when I hear Rod's type guy. Because Jordan is Rod's guy and he constantly pulls up on people and has been pretty weak for someone his size. Rod also seems to despise Fleury who plays the game "the right way" without a lot of flash and Gauthier was said to be the same way. Hell the kid was a huge gym rat and Rod should've loved him...but he doesn't. So I'm a little leery of bringing in "rod's type of guys"

I don't follow the idea someone has to be taught how to hit. Maybe how to do it well so you puncture a lung with a clean body check, yes...but just going in and bumping into a Dman sitting on the boards who just passed the puck doesn't need to be taught.
You’re not picking on me, I agree with you 100%!

No point having players the coach doesn’t trust though, especially if the coach isn’t going anywhere. I don’t agree with the coach but that’s easy for me from the couch.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad