Proposal: NYR -Vegas

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I've always been a DeAngelo fan and believer. But Rangers fans want to have it both ways:

If he's expendable because of a guy who hasn't played a second of North American hockey...
If a 3rd team is giving up on him, even after putting up his best year...

then those factors are going to matter in his return.

You can't ask for pieces BETTER than Nils Lundqvist if you are saying that DeAngelo is worse than Nils Lundqvist... and Vegas doesn't move Tuch and Krebs for Lundqvist.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I've always been a DeAngelo fan and believer. But Rangers fans want to have it both ways:

If he's expendable because of a guy who hasn't played a second of North American hockey...

You can't ask for pieces BETTER than Nils Lundqvist if you are saying that DeAngelo is worse than Nils Lundqvist... and Vegas doesn't move Tuch and Krebs for Lundqvist.

No one is saying he is better or worse.
Only you.

value of Tony D comp to Nils L is mutually exclusive.

For the umpteenth time, only reason to move Deangelo is LONG term salary which expecting he does 4.5ish now for 2 yrs does not negative his value, it ups his short term value. That and exp dr, which different teams have dif levels of difficulty in handling.
We can easily roll w/Trouba Deangelo Lindgren and not play Hajek 40 games.
But we prefer mo flexibility

We are not trying to have it both ways.

Reactions: bl02

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No one is saying he is better or worse.
Only you.

value of Tony D comp to Nils L is mutually exclusive.

For the umpteenth time, only reason to move Deangelo is LONG term salary which expecting he does 4.5ish now for 2 yrs does not negative his value, it ups his short term value. That and exp dr, which different teams have dif levels of difficulty in handling.
We can easily roll w/Trouba Deangelo Lindgren and not play Hajek 40 games.
But we prefer mo flexibility

We are not trying to have it both ways.

I don't know what the bolded means.

But yes, you are making the decision that you don't need him and he's already lost his job to a guy who's never worn a Rangers uniform. Fact.

I get you prefer flexibility, but so do other teams. Thus, VGK would rather have Tuch at 4.75 and Krebs at 900k than DeAngelo at 5.5.

Just like you'd rather have Tuch at 4.75 and Lundqvist at 900k over DeAngelo.

See how that works?

Reactions: The Duck Knight

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

But yes, you are making the decision that you don't need him and he's already lost his job to a guy who's never worn a Rangers uniform. Fact.

I get you prefer flexibility, but so do other teams. Thus, VGK would rather have Tuch at 4.75 and Krebs at 900k than DeAngelo at 5.5.

See how that works?

He's getting a new gig b'c we need to be cap responsible and optimize exp dr.
He is not losing his job, which implies he was deficient or subpar at his job.

His job was reassigned, and his status is changing due to that, not his performance.

We also don't want Tuch.
We are looking to move Buch w/rfa at 3.25, not interested in Tuch at a buck and a half more.
Salary cap is real. Manage it or it will manage you.

So you're 0 for 2.
Let me know when you have something constructive.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's not about losing his job to a prospect not coming over until the following year. DeAngelo plays the right side - our strongest side. It's about recognizing that there could be a cap problem, and using that strength to fill a hole in our lineup. A cheaper option in the future for our 3rd pair and a hole filled elsewhere. It's not about DeAngelo being better or worse than Lundkvist.

Reactions: bernmeister

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Not all of us feel that way. I’m terrified of trading DeAngelo and having a lite Zubov: Part II. I don’t know if it was bernmeister who said it, but it’s not Lundkvist that makes DeAngelo “expendable” it’s the fact that the Rangers’ 1RD and 2RD spots are locked up for the next like 8 years, and they’re terrible week at center. Even despite that I still don’t really want to trade Tony; You could regret a trade like that for a decade.

Terrible for Vegas. Tuch is on a good contract long term. Krebs has much more potential than Howden. ADA is alright but needs a new deal coming off what's likely a flash in the pan season.
Why do people think DeAngelo had a flash in the pan season? He was the best offensive defenseman in his draft, a 1st round pick, and had ungodly junior stats. This is literally what he was supposed to be. His problems were never offense.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Not all of us feel that way. I’m terrified of trading DeAngelo and having a lite Zubov: Part II. I don’t know if it was bernmeister who said it, but it’s not Lundkvist that makes DeAngelo “expendable” it’s the fact that the Rangers’ 1RD and 2RD spots are locked up for the next like 8 years, and they’re terrible week at center. Even despite that I still don’t really want to trade Tony; You could regret a trade like that for a decade.

Why do people think DeAngelo had a flash in the pan season? He was the best offensive defenseman in his draft, a 1st round pick, and had ungodly junior stats. This is literally what he was supposed to be. His problems were never offense.

All of this. I honestly think it has more to do with his political views than it does his actual play. If anyone has ever watched him, they know this isn’t a flash in the pan season. Is he a 60-70 point guy going forward? I don’t know, but 50 is definitely more than possible on a yearly basis.

Reactions: bl02

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I remember Zub.
Had a better all around game than tony at this pt, but ADA has him on passing.
Comparison is apt tho.

Yea... just comparing in terms of both being young defenseman with high end potential who could potentially have long productive careers ahead of them. Not that I’m projected ADA for the HOF at this point...

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
i actually never classified ada's last season as a fluke. i said up or fluke and put a question mark. it could actually be both at the same time, as 0.78 ppg could be a positive outlier for his career and he still outperforms the results from 18/19 season consistently.
but i will stop discussing the topic, as people aren't interested in looking at things from a different point of view. whatever doesn't confirm their own initial position is just rejected as invalid or like your president says - fake news.
So instead of responding to the remarks toward your four-season interpretation of “three seasons” you decide instead to say those posters are missing your point and that something or other is fake news(????) What are you even trying to say aside from
“I don’t like the Rangers.
sincerely,
a Devils fan”?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
He’d be their best RHD. Why would he be on the third pair?

He wouldn't be on the top pair because he can't play shutdown D. Mcnabb and Schmidt played the 4th and 6th hardest minutes in the entire league this year as the matchup pair. And he's not beating out Theodore for the 2nd RD spot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He wouldn't be on the top pair because he can't play shutdown D. Mcnabb and Schmidt played the 4th and 6th hardest minutes in the entire league this year as the matchup pair. And he's not beating out Theodore for the 2nd RD spot.

All of that sounds very complicated. DeAngelo would easily be the best right shot defensemen on the Knights. Any team without right shot depth would have him playing 20+ minutes per game, so it wouldn’t matter what pair he’s playing. You’d still be using him a lot and he’d have a big impact.

Reactions: QJL

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
All of that sounds very complicated. DeAngelo would easily be the best right shot defensemen on the Knights. Any team without right shot depth would have him playing 20+ minutes per game, so it wouldn’t matter what pair he’s playing. You’d still be using him a lot and he’d have a big impact.

I never said he wouldn't be a useful player for the Knights. But he would literally be on the 3rd pair and the 2nd PP. There is zero chance in hell Vegas would give up Tuch for him and then proceed to pay him what he's going to demand to play that role.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I never said he wouldn't be a useful player for the Knights. But he would literally be on the 3rd pair and the 2nd PP. There is zero chance in hell Vegas would give up Tuch for him and then proceed to pay him what he's going to demand to play that role.

As many noted, Tuch is not a fit to NY for one reason or another.
What do you guys wish to bid on Deangelo, assuming you do?

ps - LV had a good run this yr, congrats
pss - like yr avatar.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Minor point that isn't really being touched on here, but DeAngelo spent the season with a Marc Staal-sized anchor on his D Pair. Staal was one of the worst defensemen in the entire league. And yet DeAngelo still finished the season T-4th in points, and T-3rd in even strength points.

Now imagine what he could do with an NHL-level partner on D

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
ADA is getting so crushed on this board, that he's becoming underrated.

It's a terrible misconception that is being derived solely by seeing DeAngelo's name in offers here. He wouldn't even be mentioned as a possible trade candidate if they weren't stacked at RD, because teams don't trade 60 point defensemen otherwise.

I am sure the Rangers have no issue re-signing DeAngelo to a bridge contract or taking an arbitration deal. An unproven Lundkvist can wait.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It's a terrible misconception that is being derived solely by seeing DeAngelo's name in offers here. He wouldn't even be mentioned as a possible trade candidate if they weren't stacked at RD, because teams don't trade 60 point defensemen otherwise.

I am sure the Rangers have no issue re-signing DeAngelo to a bridge contract or taking an arbitration deal. An unproven Lundkvist can wait.

I agree I don’t want to trade DeAngelo. If they can figure out a long term deal for the right $$ and term I’d love to keep the RD. Trouba Fox Tony D for the next 5-6 years and let tony light it up on the PP with all the new weapons the rangers have acquired. However Nils is tearing up the SHL against Men. He could possibly turn into a first pair D himself and he is going to want to play in the NHL sooner rather than later. Maybe Glass for nils Lundqvist?? Both are highly rated and have done nothing but better their positions. Glass had the injury but looks to still be excellent. Fills a need for both Teams and C and RD are two of the hardest cornerstone positions to find??? What do ya think??

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I agree I don’t want to trade DeAngelo. If they can figure out a long term deal for the right $$ and term I’d love to keep the RD. Trouba Fox Tony D for the next 5-6 years and let tony light it up on the PP with all the new weapons the rangers have acquired. However Nils is tearing up the SHL against Men. He could possibly turn into a first pair D himself and he is going to want to play in the NHL sooner rather than later. Maybe Glass for nils Lundqvist?? Both are highly rated and have done nothing but better their positions. Glass had the injury but looks to still be excellent. Fills a need for both Teams and C and RD are two of the hardest cornerstone positions to find??? What do ya think??

It is a fallacy to think we can somehow give just enuf $ to keep everybody happy going forward so we don't need elcs. Esp in covid/reduced cap environment.

Also, that approach denies us what we know about Nils L, who broke records in unprecedented fashion.

Only way Tony can stay is if Trouba's woman is far enough now past her studies and can actually practice and she is comfortable w/some other place where Jacob would go, presumably only DET.
If we moved JT and his 8 per we would then, after 4.5 x 2, relying on Fox and Nils L, could do ADA for another 2 or so years.
However, even still, at that point he wants more than 5, presumably we are out of covid flat cap, so he will want $, and even if we have one more elc yr on some of our guys/not others, Zib is due for $$$

There is no way to keep Tony.
Let it go.
If acceptable offer, deal him now while it costs acquiring club less to pay him which ups his value.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So instead of responding to the remarks toward your four-season interpretation of “three seasons” you decide instead to say those posters are missing your point and that something or other is fake news(????) What are you even trying to say aside from
“I don’t like the Rangers.
sincerely,
a Devils fan”?

He was technically right. The poster said his production has gone up for 3 straight seasons, (as production is interpreted as points) because his 2nd season (first with NYR) his scoring and scoring rate went down from his 1st season.

That said, I think that's being a bit nitpicking though (and I can be the kind of nitpicking :laugh:). I think what the NYR poster meant (and how I interpreted it) was that he has improved year over year every season since he became a Ranger, which is correct. Year 1 to 2 got better. Year 2 to 3 got better. Not worth arguing over since the general intent is true that he's taken significant strides since he became a Ranger.

ADA is a tough one to gauge value. The guy had an outstanding offensive season and is only 24 and he's a RHD. Lots of teams would covet that. He's not great defensively though and got a ton of O zone starts. Yet, because of his scoring, he's going to potentially command a high salary. The wrench in all this is the flat cap / covid environment though. I think a good bridge deal where the Rangers keep him or trade him for better value would be ideal. (would he still be an RFA with a 2 year deal bridge deal?)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

See how that works?

Rangers just keep him and sign him long term then comp,sin he’s overpaid.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It is a fallacy to think we can somehow give just enuf $ to keep everybody happy going forward so we don't need elcs. Esp in covid/reduced cap environment.

Also, that approach denies us what we know about Nils L, who broke records in unprecedented fashion.

Only way Tony can stay is if Trouba's woman is far enough now past her studies and can actually practice and she is comfortable w/some other place where Jacob would go, presumably only DET.
If we moved JT and his 8 per we would then, after 4.5 x 2, relying on Fox and Nils L, could do ADA for another 2 or so years.
However, even still, at that point he wants more than 5, presumably we are out of covid flat cap, so he will want $, and even if we have one more elc yr on some of our guys/not others, Zib is due for $$$

There is no way to keep Tony.
Let it go.
If acceptable offer, deal him now while it costs acquiring club less to pay him which ups his value.
Glass would be ELC
I’m not saying sign deangelo to an 8 year deal but if you get a 2nd line center or A Rd on ELC you are not breaking the bank. It’s also a fallacy looking so far down the road. A lot could happen in 2 years. Chytil could blow up. He is a great prospect that gets lost in the shiny new toy syndrome from Kakko and Lafreniere. Who knows barkov may not want to resign and test UFA and if that is the case I could see rangers signing him and not Zibby. Too hard to tell what could go on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->