Proposal: NYR -Vegas

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
His even strength oiSH% was 12.0, a full 3% better than his career avg and 2.5% better than league avg for 2019-20. Also had 19 powerplay points. Also also started 66.6% of the time in the OZ.

Not saying it was all fluke or anything, just that I think he's more in the 35pt offensive dman variety than the 50+. But since he's coming off a nice season he'll be expecting a contract that pays him like one. Which is probably why he's in every Rangers proposal this offseason.

35 points? Lmfao. Maybe he’s not a 60 point guy going forward but 50 is definitely a possibility. He’s one of the better puck movers in the entire league and his zone entry numbers are great. He’ll run the point on a PP1 almost anywhere he goes.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
His even strength oiSH% was 12.0, a full 3% better than his career avg and 2.5% better than league avg for 2019-20. Also had 19 powerplay points. Also also started 66.6% of the time in the OZ.

Not saying it was all fluke or anything, just that I think he's more in the 35pt offensive dman variety than the 50+. But since he's coming off a nice season he'll be expecting a contract that pays him like one. Which is probably why he's in every Rangers proposal this offseason.

solid and constructive post, except methinks once he is no longer shackled to Staal and Ranger Fs improve, you will see those pt totals go up, not regress.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think it's a pretty fair deal. Maybe favoring the Rangers a bit. I doubt Vegas would be interested though.

Also, incredible how many people undervalue DeAngelo. A RD pacing for 60 points is pretty darn valuable. Trading ADA feels a lot like trading away a young Sergei Zubov.

I remember Zub.
Had a better all around game than tony at this pt, but ADA has him on passing.
Comparison is apt tho.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Are you sure about that? I wouldn’t be surprised if Theodore scores 70 points next year. He is absolutely dominant offensively.

DeBoer runs his offense through his D and Theodore is over a ppg since his arrival. Theodore will out score DeAngelo next season.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
which is actually incorrect:
16/17: 39g - 5g - 9a - 14p
17/18: 32g - 0g - 8a - 8p (DOWN)
18/19: 61g - 4g - 26a - 30p (UP)
19/20: 68g- 15g - 38a - 53p (UP or FLUKE?)
So he wasn’t trending upward as a NY Ranger in 3 seasons? It seems pretty obvious he is.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
which is actually incorrect:
16/17: 39g - 5g - 9a - 14p
17/18: 32g - 0g - 8a - 8p (DOWN)
18/19: 61g - 4g - 26a - 30p (UP)
19/20: 68g- 15g - 38a - 53p (UP or FLUKE?)
Interesting you dont class Theodore's offensive season as a fluke even though is PPG increased from 0.47 to 0.65.

DeAngelo had a better PPG that Theodore in the 3 out of the last 4 seasons. I think for a start that shows he is a better offensive player.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Interesting you dont class Theodore's offensive season as a fluke even though is PPG increased from 0.47 to 0.65.

DeAngelo had a better PPG that Theodore in the 3 out of the last 4 seasons. I think for a start that shows he is a better offensive player.

There's room for DeA in Vegas to coexist w/Theo if they want to trade for him.

Reactions: slg1963

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Not going to address the trade, but its just hilarious that a player can have a breakout season and their fans think its a given going forward.
Being a Ranger fan, I can say that Tony D is a really good puck mover and has great offensive instinct. He is tough, but not a strong defender.
As for Theodore, I've heard people talking about him like he is Ray Borque reincarnate. Sample size people.
Both players have the potential to be even better, but let's pump the brakes a bit.

Reactions: TBF1972

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Thats way too in-depth to the advanced stats. He had 30 points in 61 games in his first full season, and that was in a lesser role than he's in now. He's at least a .5PPG guy.

He's at least a 40-45 point guy over the course of a full season. He also had 53 points in 68 games this season, so his high mark is a lot closer to 60-65 than 50-55.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
What Vegas really needs is another a East Coast guy with a vowel ending last name trolling around. I say this as a guy with a vowel ending last name.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
True, but I'd take a chance on Montour or Barrie at a much lower cost than what NYR should expect to get for TonyD. Or Shattenkirk.

i get your thinking, but it goes a bit counter the approach VGK has followed, to build your world-class depth up-front, paying the price to bring in Stone and Patches has helped VGK become a consistent contender
VGK FO has built a strong roster and pipeline, ADA is young, could have great impact.
but i am glad for NYR to not move him, too

Reactions: bernmeister

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No chance Vegas adds a prospect like that to Tuch here. I also don't think they really need to add DeAngelo. Can we stop comparing DeAngel to Theodore? Nobody is calling him a better overall player.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Not going to address the trade, but its just hilarious that a player can have a breakout season and their fans think its a given going forward.
Being a Ranger fan, I can say that Tony D is a really good puck mover and has great offensive instinct. He is tough, but not a strong defender.
As for Theodore, I've heard people talking about him like he is Ray Borque reincarnate. Sample size people.
Both players have the potential to be even better, but let's pump the brakes a bit.
tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad